Pro-Life Democrats Exist...believe it or not

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 07:40 pm
I've been under the misperception that Democratic congressmen were universally pro-choice and actively discouraged pro-life democrats from joining their ranks in Congress. This is probably lashback from the shameful conduct of Democrats in prohibiting Bob Casey from speaking at the 1992 Democratic National Convention because of his pro-life beliefs.

However, Nimh and Sozobe correctly pointed out in another thread that there are several Democrats in office that are pro-life.

Nimh wrote:
Democrats for Life of America

Democrats for Life of America recently launched the 95-10 Initiative:

Quote:
The 95-10 Initiative is a comprehensive package of federal legislation and policy proposals that will reduce the number of abortions by 95% in the next 10 years. While both Democrats and Republicans talk about reducing the number of abortions, Democrats for Life of America offers real solutions to make this goal a reality. With bold new ideas, sound research and policy arguments, the 95-10 Initiative contains proven policy suggestions to dramatically reduce the number of abortions in America.

<<<snip>>>

Anyway, here are some Democrats in office who support the 95-10 initiative.

I browsed through that site and was pleased to see a lot of the right words and promised actions. In particular some of the position papers....

Murti wrote:
national poll conducted by Wirthlin Worldwide on the evening of the 1998 elections found that 38 percent of all Democrats (and 40 percent of Democrat women) oppose abortion. A national poll released by the Center for Gender Equality (a women's think tank headed by former Planned Parenthood executive director Faye Wattleton), in January 1999, found that a majority of American women do not support legalized abortion on demand. 53 percent of female respondents to the poll said abortion should be allowed only in cases of rape, incest, to save a woman's life or not at all, up from 45 percent in 1996.

Dr. Kerschen President of Democrats for Life wrote:
After all, as the mission statement of our organization says: "The Democratic Party's strong commitment to human rights leads naturally to a pro-life position. Just as we care about the welfare of children, the disabled, and the elderly, we care about unborn children and their mothers." Advocating the killing of a woman's child as a way to solve her problems is inconsistent with the traditional Democratic philosophy of compassionate government. Suppressing the pro-life voice within the party is also inconsistent with the image of the Democratic party as the party of tolerance and free speech. Pro-life Democrats must insist on a consistent ethic and must insist that they be allowed to take their rightful place in the party.

Now why don't any of these democrats live in Virginia Mad I might actually vote for them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 551 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:10 pm
Most Democrats are pro-life.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:36 pm
My father is part of the "Consistant pro-life movement". As an Bible believing Christian, he believes that capital-punishment, poverty, pre-emptive war and abortion are all pro-life issues that anyone following Christ should oppose.

He generally supports Democratic candidates.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:47 pm
I've known conservatives who favor right to choice.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:21 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:06 am
One pastor's comment to his congregation before the 2004 election: "Jesus is more liberal than any democrat and more conservative than any republican."
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:16 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I've known conservatives who favor right to choice.

Barry Goldwater
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:32 am
Not to mention most "old school" conservatives with a libertarian philosophy.
0 Replies