Conservative Radio host loses it on air, enjoy the meltdown

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:29 am
slkshock7 wrote:
Its unfair to require a real response to an unreal question.

Was it unfair to require a real response to this unreal question?

Suppose a well-known and respected black civil rights leader had gotten up at Coretta's funeral and said he appreciated and admired Coretta's civil rights stance, but as for her husband, he was a clown...ineffective in his non-violent tactics, and basically a tool of the white man. Would you be equally outspoken at defending his right to speak?

Source
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 07:47 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
slkshock7 wrote:
Its unfair to require a real response to an unreal question.

Was it unfair to require a real response to this unreal question?

Suppose a well-known and respected black civil rights leader had gotten up at Coretta's funeral and said he appreciated and admired Coretta's civil rights stance, but as for her husband, he was a clown...ineffective in his non-violent tactics, and basically a tool of the white man. Would you be equally outspoken at defending his right to speak?

Source

yes...it was bait nobody took...The unreferenced quote was from Malcom X about Martin Luther King.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:21 pm
"Hypothetical questions get hypothetical answers."....Joan Baez

But, I would grab the baby.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:00 am
slkshock7 wrote:
yes...it was bait nobody took...The unreferenced quote was from Malcom X about Martin Luther King.

So that was an unfair question? Then why did you ask it?
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:10 pm
Well, I was disappointed nobody took my bait, at least, until you did...thanks.

You may think differently, but I'm pretty sure I still have a right to ask questions (fair or unfair). However, I'm very sure that you (or the talk show host in this posting) has a right not to answer.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:17 pm
All this sound and fury, and the answer is so simple. The anti-abortionists have the premise that a fertilized egg is a human being, and equal to any other human being.

Therefore, accepting this premise, it would be far more moral to save the five fertilized eggs in the petri dish than the child.

That does not sound quite right does it? A number of people have remarked that this is a no-win situation, but that is not so.

There is a saying that I find to be very useful and important in my life, so important, that I have used it in my sig line on A2K:

Quote:
"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think that you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." Ayn Rand

Premise A: A child and a fertilized egg are both human beings.

Premise B: If one has the decision to save one human being, or five human beings, it is obviously more moral to sacrifice the one, in order to save the five.

Premise C: It would be wrong to sacrifice the living child, to save the fertilized eggs.

If one accepts Premise A, the eggs have the same "humanness" as the child. Therefore, under Premise B, there is no question that the eggs need to be saved at the expense at the child.

Now why is that a "Catch-22"? The decision is clear............sacrifice one to save five.

The problem is Premise C. The only reason that it would be wrong to sacrifice the living child would be if the fertilized eggs did NOT have the same humanity as the living child. And THAT is the issue that the anti-abortionists are not willing to face.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:48 pm
Oh-----kay.....

Well, IMHO, even a devout pro-lifer, if they had everyday scruples, would be understandably stumped if surrounded by a burning building and faced with a choice of saving a crying baby or 5 less developed life forms (even if they intellectually believed them to be equal). In my world, most
human beings wouldn't react so coldly analytical.

It's the same as asking a strong opponent of the death penalty something like - "Well, what if a crazed, foaming at the mouth just-escaped murderer held your wife hostage for three days while raping her and then slowly killed her with a knife, stabbing her 47 times...wouldn't you want to kill that man?" As if his saying "yes" destroys utterly all his beliefs about the rightness or wrongness of the death penalty. Bullshit. (A tactic which I've seen pulled during more than one political debate)

But yes, you can formulate a question that would could disarm anyone trying to stand on any principle, I suppose. And though I find it distasteful defending a rightie talk show host I've never heard of, and from what I hear on the clip would not like, I still think it's simply intellectually (and even more basic, emotionally - for those of us who profess to have feelings) dishonest, and the most juvenile form of "gotcha".
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 06:59 pm
curious - no fiery rejoinder
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:03 pm
Quote:
It's the same as asking a strong opponent of the death penalty something like - "Well, what if a crazed, foaming at the mouth just-escaped murderer held your wife hostage for three days while raping her and then slowly killed her with a knife, stabbing her 47 times...wouldn't you want to kill that man?" As if his saying "yes" destroys utterly all his beliefs about the rightness or wrongness of the death penalty. Bullshit. (A tactic which I've seen pulled during more than one political debate)

I don't believe that it is the same. It is one thing to be so terribly distraught that you would want to rend your wife's attacker limb from limb. It is quite another to go out and kill the man.

I would not blame an anti death penalty person from having homicidal thoughts about his wife's killer. I WOULD think him a hypocrite if he suddenly bacame pro death penalty, (and lobbied for it) after his wife was killed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:04 pm
snood wrote:
curious - no fiery rejoinder

Patience, patience. I was eating dinner, and just saw your post.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:06 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

I don't believe that it is the same. It is one thing to be so terribly distraught that you would want to rend your wife's attacker limb from limb. It is quite another to go out and kill the man.

I would not blame an anti death penalty person from having homicidal thoughts about his wife's killer. I WOULD think him a hypocrite if he suddenly bacame pro death penalty, (and lobbied for it) after his wife was killed.

Well, no one asked the rightie talk show host if he would go out and lobby for pro-choice after he escaped the fire. They asked him about a decision made while in the fire. And that's why it's BS.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:09 pm
You are entitled to your opinion. I just don't see it the way that you do.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:19 pm
snood wrote:
Well, no one asked the rightie talk show host if he would go out and lobby for pro-choice after he escaped the fire. They asked him about a decision made while in the fire. And that's why it's BS.

You miss the point (either on purpose or otherwise). Phoenix explained it perfectly.

Read it again and keep your mind open. You may catch the point the second time around.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:08 pm
JustanObserver wrote:
snood wrote:

You miss the point (either on purpose or otherwise). Phoenix explained it perfectly.

Read it again and keep your mind open. You may catch the point the second time around.

And it also may be, my presumptuous friend, that I understand what Phoenix said, and we simply disagree. She seems to be okay with that. Maybe that's a point you don't "get".
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:47 pm
Well, if the host had an ounce of savoir-faire, he could have just said: I don't know, John. That is a tough decision. What would YOU do?

Who the hell knows what I would do in a fire. Maybe I'd be tempted to save a goat if there was one. I would most likely be looking for my laptop, however. Stupid question, stupid answer, horrible show.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:52 pm
Your laptop over a two-year old kid? Thats pretty harsh Razz

Now - laptop or putri [sp?] dish, on the other hand ...
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:58 pm
nimh wrote:
putri [sp?]

petri. Named after the German bacteriologist Julius Richard Petri.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:59 pm
I kinda liked putri.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
laptop!!!! my whole life is in that thing. laptop over a family of twenty! laptop over a rare breed of a baby yetti that will never again be possible to reproduce.

ok, i might be exaggerating a smidget. but laptop is pretty darn important.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:14 pm
snood wrote:
And it also may be, my presumptuous friend, that I understand what Phoenix said, and we simply disagree. She seems to be okay with that. Maybe that's a point you don't "get".

Not quite. I'll clear it up a bit:

snood wrote:
Oh-----kay.....

Well, IMHO, even a devout pro-lifer, if they had everyday scruples, would be understandably stumped if surrounded by a burning building and faced with a choice of saving a crying baby or 5 less developed life forms (even if they intellectually believed them to be equal). In my world, most human beings wouldn't react so coldly analytical.

That's the whole point. Remember, to pro lifers, a fertilized egg deserves the same protection as a born human being. Read Phoenix's post again, she (he?) explains the dilemma perfectly.

snood wrote:

Wrong. It's a VERY different situation. A person would naturally want to kill the person who did that to his wife. Using the death penalty example here is comparing apples and oranges. One of the main thrusts against the death penalty is the flawed criminal justice system and risks of putting an innocent man to death. This hypothetical doesn't relate to your argument at all.

snood wrote:
But yes, you can formulate a question that would could disarm anyone trying to stand on any principle, I suppose. And though I find it distasteful defending a rightie talk show host I've never heard of, and from what I hear on the clip would not like, I still think it's simply intellectually (and even more basic, emotionally - for those of us who profess to have feelings) dishonest, and the most juvenile form of "gotcha".

I'm with you on that one, which is why I rank this up there with the whole "terrorist and a time bomb" scenario. Even then, THAT question is still more stupid than this one, as it presumes a captured "terrorist" would know the location of said bomb.

Here, a true (or simply avid) pro-lifer would have to side on the "save the 5 fertilized eggs" option, even though it seems brutal if they want to maintain their principal. It's up to them at that point to get people to understand the concept that "life begins at conception."

Words can be used to paint just about anyone in a bad light. Here, it's being used to demonstrate how absurd it is to consider newly fertilized eggs on the same level as born people, and that's the whole point.

What makes it even that much better is how the talk show host completely makes himself look like an ass in his response (which is the real reason I posted it... I hate idiots like him).
0 Replies