Will There Be a Loss of "Balance" in the Government?

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 11:13 am
Two term limits for the Senate and Congress? That would get rid of the "old enemies" syndrome. Got a kick out of "The Daily Show" showing the shift of balance of power with M&M's! Trent Lott's demeanor that seems to show he is mellowing out is certainly deceptive -- the next two years will show whether the Republicans really have a plan or if it is just the same old axes to grind.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 11:18 am
In D.C. the Lotts were neighbors, he is a pleasant person socially and a mean bridge player. But his politics, yikes.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 12:25 pm
Hazlitt - My comments had nothing to do with defending the "religious right". The comment points to the observation that any time a political discussion comes up the term "religious right" is applied to anyone that is even midly conservative whether that are actually religious or not and at the same time there are plenty of "religious" liberals that get turned off by hearing it. If someone considers themselves to be "religious" and they are constantly being lumped in with an extremist position based soley on the religion they belong to do you really expect them to embrace those that are using the term?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 12:28 pm
fishin love the edit capability. See how I changed my comment above, hehe.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 12:29 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:
fishin love the edit capability. See how I changed my comment above, hehe.

I can edit that back for you if you'd like Joanne! Wink
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 01:06 pm
No thank you. Please I am begging don't. Mr. Editor, sir.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 01:59 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:
No thank you. Please I am begging don't. Mr. Editor, sir.

I am limited to only using my superpowers for good. But I can tease about it! Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 02:03 pm
He's a good bridge player? Well, that stone face would surely thrwart another player from knowing what he's got planned as his next play. Unfortunately, that carries over to what he's got planned in the Senate.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 02:22 pm
Well he was in the House then. His boy's are pleasant and the wife too. I liked that he took the time to spend with his family and in the neighborhood. Also attended all the PTA meetings. In addition, Trent Lott, participated in the search for my daughter when she disappeared and use his influence to help involve the Feds in the investigation. And he know my politics were not his and at that time I was very, very active in COPE, actually the first time I might him in person I was putting an invite to Solidarity Day 1980 on their door step.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 05:29 pm
Fishin, there is another side to the kinds of religious misunderstandings that you speak of. Liberals who are religious, which I suspect would include most liberals, are lumped into the category of the "sub-religious" by the religious right. The religious right seems to assume that anyone who stands for separation of church and state or who opposes prayers in the public schools is somehow less religious than they are. The term liberal is equated by them with something that ranges from wishy-washy-religiosity to atheism or agnosticism. This shows a lack of perception on their part.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 09:28 pm
Phoenix, Not much to sweat. The Senate still requires at least 60 votes to pass anything, and the GOP must get some democrats to approve anything. c.i.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 09:42 pm
It is also a concern that the President can now appoint Supreme Court justices, who sit for life, who are extremely conservative. I am worried as to how this will impact on decisions that relate to social concerns.

What do you all think?

After all these 6 years try to
Sing the song of Epethalamium
and wing into the tune of corporate consumerism.
0 Replies