Only illegal abortions will become the norm

spendius

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:40 am
Eorl wrote-

Quote:
You mean like saying "No, daddy....I'm 15 now and you can't make me" Yeah, that should work.

I'm afraid I can't decipher that but what I meant was-

Quote:
They know what to do to avoid unwanted pregnancies surely.

Are you suggesting they don't know or
Are you suggesting they do but can't help themselves or
Are you suggesting that they have to fight Daddy off.

And that it should work in any of the cases or,if it was a sarcasm,that it won't.

Could you clarify your position?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:42 pm
I'm just responding to your implied assumption that all unwanted pregnancies are easily avoided through abstinence.

The most dangerous potential problems arise when powerless people are forced to desperate measures, such as when a young teenager (not adult enough to vote or drink but biologically capable of conceiving) becomes pregnant (and not always willingly engaging in sex) and fears for her life if discovered. It is just one reason why discrete abortion on demand (even underage) should be legal everywhere.

Teenagers don't need any more reasons to commit suicide, or to attempt stupid things like DIY abortions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:52 pm
Isn't abstinence from sex an oxymoron?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:04 am
American youth don't have to be so stupid.

Use a condom.
Use other forms of birth control.
Use Plan B.
Care enough to do these things.

Let abortion be rare.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:28 am
i wouldn't blame the youth. they're usually only as stupid as the society that they grow up in.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:33 am
Usually just a little more.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:29 am
Lash, I agree. Let it be rare. Just let it be legal.

(and we need not restrict this discussion to American youth)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:54 am
Lash wrote:
American youth don't have to be so stupid.

Use a condom.
Use other forms of birth control.
Use Plan B.
Care enough to do these things.

Let abortion be rare.

I absolutely agree. There are better ways not to have children than by abortion. The problem is that women need a fail-safe, when things go wrong, and the woman has an unwanted pregnancy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:15 am
dag wrote: I wouldn't blame the yough. they're usually as stupid as the society...

Lash wrote: Just a little more.

EorI wrote: Lash, I agree.

Phoenix wrote: I absolutely agree.

Then we come down to the American Public on politics which confirms for the world that the American society isn't all that smart - after all.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:51 am
c.i.- Are you quoting me out of context?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:55 am
Had to - to make my point. But if you really think about it, most of this stuff wraps around American politics and the religious' right.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:58 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Had to - to make my point. But if you really think about it, most of this stuff wraps around American politics and the religious' right.

I don't understand your point. I am 100% pro choice, but in the best of all possible worlds, pregnancies would be prevented, before abortion was necessary. But a woman would still have the right to decide what to do with her body.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:19 pm
Pregnancy would never be prevented by our youth even with the best sex education. Drinking, passions, curiosity, and hormones usually wins the battle. Many children learn the lesson too late; they always think it'll never happen to them.

I've always been "pro-choice," because it's up to the woman to decide what she can do with her body. Religious' beliefs belongs in the church, not in our legal system.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:48 pm
Quote:
Pregnancy would never be prevented by our youth even with the best sex education. Drinking, passions, curiosity, and hormones usually wins the battle. Many children learn the lesson too late; they always think it'll never happen to them.

Very true, but do you think that throwing up your hands, and saying that nothing can be done, is a reasonable solution? If comprehensive sex education can prevent just a few unwanted pregnancies, it would be worthwhile.

An abortion is most often traumatic. both physically and emotionally for a woman, and certainly for a young girl. Although I believe that females have the right to choose, steps should be taken to attempt to minimize unwanted pregnancies. Then, if all fails, an abortion would always be a last ditch option.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:15 pm
No, we don't just throw up our hands; we have sex education in our schools, and some parents teach their children about safe sex and abstinence.

Sex education for some children works fine; for others, it doesn't.

Some women get pregnant and abort more than once or twice; they seem to never learn.

I would never advocate stopping sex education by our schools or by the parents.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:07 pm
I don't think sexual stupidity or the garden variety, is concentrated in the US. But, we were stupid not to educate our children about sex for so many years. Things have definitely improved--and with that improvement, we can dial back abortion on demand.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:22 pm
c.i. wrote-

Quote:

Notice how the use of "never" renders that first sentence utterly meaningless.

With that word present the sentence is so obviously true as to be not worth writing.

It is an impossiblity,outside segregating the youth by gender,to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

But they can be reduced.They could even be much reduced and it might be possible to return them to levels of 50 years ago which did result from education despite exactly the same forces being in operation as are mentioned.

There are interests which gain both financially and in terms of influence from "children learning the lesson too late".

I'm pro-choice too.And I choose to remain uninterested in women who have had abortions or those only engaging by the facilitations provided by the rubber and pharmaceutical industries.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:24 pm
spendi contradicts himself in the same post with:

Notice how the use of "never" renders that first sentence utterly meaningless.

With that word present the sentence is so obviously true as to be not worth writing.

It is an impossiblity,outside segregating the youth by gender,to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

So, spendi thinks his last sentence has utter meaning? LOL
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:15 pm
Of course it does.Why would you think otherwise?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:56 pm
You wuldn't know and understand, spendi.
0 Replies