Congressional exercise in futility.

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:54 am
From time to time when tuning onto C span I will see a congress person making an impassioned speech charts and all about a piece of legislation. And as the camera pans the chamber one sees it to be virtually empty.
I am reminded of the question. "If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it does it make a noise."

Why do you suppose they indulge in this exercise? Is it to build up their resume'
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 378 • Replies: 2
No top replies

revel

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:18 pm
I think because even if no is listening to the speech at the time, it all goes into the record.
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:01 pm
revel, is correct, everything is compiled on a daily basis into the Congressional record. Plus based on floor speeches Congressmen can issue press releases and get media coverage. That's why you turn on CSPAN at midnight and see them giving speeches, with 435 members it's difficult to get floor time. If all members were required to be in the chamber all day then they really wouldn't get much done.

The Senate is a little better, but not by much.
0 Replies