Your latest no-fuss, healthy & inspired recipes, please!

ul

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:41 am
Do you mean Quinoa - (pronounced keenoir) ?

http://www.quinoa.com/faq/quinoa.html
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:57 am
Quinoa
ul wrote:
Do you mean Quinoa - (pronounced keenoir) ?
http://www.quinoa.com/faq/quinoa.html

Quinoa is one of highest protein grains in the world.

The following site has Quinoa recipes:

Quinoa recipes

BBB
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:04 am
Embarrassed Oh, BBB, my apologies! I accidentally called you Noddy last night! See, this is what happens when I'm posting in the wee small hours of the morning, way past my bed time! Many thanks for the recipes. I think I'll make the Thai noodles tomorrow night. (It's interesting, the use of sugar in this & similar recipes. I can't quite get used to the idea. But I'll try it (maybe a bit less than 3 tablespoons) & see what it tastes like. Thanks again!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:07 am
shewolfnm wrote:
easy salad-

your choice of lettuce romaine / ice burg.. what ever you use..

add a handfull of baby spinach, and a little shredded cabbage, some cherry tomatos and sprouts of some kind. Sunflower, alfalfa, or anything else

and sprinkle with some cashews and vinagrette.
MMmmmmmmm

I love these sorts of salads, shewolf. Some greens, a bit of tang from the tomatoes & a bit of crunch! Yum! Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:14 pm
Quote:
Oh, BBB, my apologies! I accidentally called you Noddy last night! See, this is what happens when I'm posting in the wee small hours of the morning, way past my bed time!

Personally, I like being me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:39 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Quote:
Oh, BBB, my apologies! I accidentally called you Noddy last night! See, this is what happens when I'm posting in the wee small hours of the morning, way past my bed time!

Personally, I like being me.

Of course you do, Noddy! :wink:

And I'm certain that it feels fabulous for BBB to be BBB!

It's just that I should call both of you by your proper names!

OK, now you're here, what recipe are you recommending? :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:11 pm
Huh. I think cellophane noodles aren't rice noodles, but mung bean threads. I haven't cooked with them in a while and may be remembering incorrectly. They come out clear and are often used in Vietnamese Spring Rolls...

My cooking has gotten pretty basic in the last several months, what with my cookbooks all packed, staying at friends' house, and now here in my own while borrowing their minirefrigerator. (Lots of stuff still in storage, including my fridge.) The only thing I've cooked that is new to me is to try making my very own green chili burger.

I had one at a local burger place called the Owl - not bad, but they have the usual buns that dissolve when you grip them to gnaw on the burger, and fairly ordinary beef patties.
Have had a really great burger at Flying Star, a local chain, but I didn't notice one on the menu with green chile salsa.
So, I tried it at home by buying a medium hot (well, I like very hot too, but this was a first time) green chile salsa, some 15% fat beef, some sliced onion, some good toasted crusty italian bread. Tasted very good... I like the blend of the salsa with the meat.

Since I don't like to eat red meat all the time, I'm going to branch out to see what else I can do with that kind of salsa mix. The cook from scratch fanatic will try to make her own salsa one of these days, but not yet.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:30 pm
Msolga--

A steak flavored mushroom sandwich.

Take 1/4 lb. of deli roast beef\

l lb. of mushrooms

l green pepper

whatever onion needs using up

Bits of bay and basil.

Brown the mushrooms, pepper and onion. Add the beef, cover and cook for three minutes on "High" in the microwave.

Top with a little provolone and serve on semolina bread.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:11 pm
Mmmmm .... Nice, BBB!
Ooops, Noddy, I mean! (Just kidding, Noddy! I'm feeling a bit cheeky today. Razz )

Seriously, though, nice, quick & healthy! Just the thing for when a girl arrives home from work a bit crumpled & unable to cook up a storm in the kitchen. An old stand-by of yours?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:22 pm
Hello there, osso!

Nice to see you back on the food threads. You must be settling in! Very Happy

I like the names of the burger places: The Owl & The Flying Star!
Do you think moving to this new location is going change your home cooking menu a bit , osso? Take on a few new influences & all that?

Yep, I think you're right about the cellophane noodles. Mung beans it is!

Salsa, hmmm? That sounded very good! Would someone like to supply a good, basic recipe to a foreigner? (I do like the sound on a green chilli one!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:23 pm
Ah, Noddy, you can get semolina bread...
my fav, especially the one I bake (but not lately). Not to blow my own horn, that's a recipe from Carol Field's Italian Baker.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:35 am
msolga--

I claim no credit--I just adapted a take-steak sandwich for my tastes.

Osso--

My semolina is store bought--shipped straight to the Poconos from Brooklyn, NY.
0 Replies