Most Distinct Region of America

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:32 pm
Our nation is one of unmatched diversity. Whether it be the West, housing a seemingly different country, California, or the South with its unmistakeable culture and infamous history, our nation is, again, one of unmatched diversity. I am aware that this board is one of numerous members from various locations, and being this the case, a fantastic discussion with adverse positions will undoubtedly follow. What is, in your opinion, our country's most distinct region?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,017 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
UFOology.

Oh did you say region?
I thought you said religion!
Well in that case Canada Smile
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:40 am
Area 51
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 01:04 am
Iraq.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 02:35 am
Brighton Beach...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:34 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Iraq.

<high fives>
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:34 am
I'm married to him. Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:10 am
I'd say the southern Appalachians.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 10:29 am
I think this particular distinction goes to the South. Historically, it is the only region to aggressively hold on to slavery, and the only region to secede from the union. Politically, the South, has very distinct voting habits(a product of their very distinct ideology). Culturally the South has given birth to country music, blues, and rock n roll. In addition, the South has also given us a plethora of writers: Faulkner, Wright, Whealty, Tennessee Williams, and Grisham to name a few. A place like no other...
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 10:36 am
Not to mention grits, fatback, and pork rinds.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 11:14 am
I've always wondered why there haven't been more southern enterprisers to open southern-style resturants in northern areas. Grits and sweet tea? Those are absolutely delicious. Perhaps there are no southern enterprisers.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 11:28 am
Kentucky Fried Chicken seems to be doing fairly well.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 11:44 am
I was thinking about something more. A restaurant, with waitresses, that offers everything KFC does but with a higher quality. You've all probably SEEN the food that this restaurant would serve, just not in the soul food vein; i'm talking grits with enough cheese, butter, salt and pepper to produce a culinary orgasm; i'm talking deep-fried porkchops brimming with a myriad delicious seasons; i'm talking a huge jar filled with ice and sweet tea. I'd hope that all of you, at some time or another, get a chance to enjoy genuine southern food-Like no other.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 01:19 pm
Francis wrote:
Brighton Beach...

Egads.................I used to hang out in Brighton Beach, before it became a Russian outpost. Seems like a century ago. Egg drop soup, chow mein, rice, ice cream, tea and a fortune cookie for 45 cents (95 cents after 5 pm. Very Happy ) I would go to the Brighton Beach Baths. There was a live show every day in the band shell, and we would mambo in our bathing suits.

Then there was the boardwalk...............above and under! Laughing

I think that the west is a very distinctive area, around the four corners area. Its landforms are nothing like anywhere on the planet.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 01:28 pm
Child of the Light wrote:
I was thinking about something more. A restaurant, with waitresses, that offers everything KFC does but with a higher quality. You've all probably SEEN the food that this restaurant would serve, just not in the soul food vein; i'm talking grits with enough cheese, butter, salt and pepper to produce a culinary orgasm; i'm talking deep-fried porkchops brimming with a myriad delicious seasons; i'm talking a huge jar filled with ice and sweet tea. I'd hope that all of you, at some time or another, get a chance to enjoy genuine southern food-Like no other.

We have just such a place in Somerville Massachusetts... in walking distance to my house in Cambridge. I think there is a similar place in Boston proper.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:17 pm
Good, the entire country should know the pleasures of southern culture.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 04:34 pm
I always wanted to join an armed vigilantee group. I am glad they are coming back in style.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 04:56 pm
That's a fantastic way to converse! Now it dies....
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:02 pm
Tennessee Williams from Iowa.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 09:22 pm
I really don't understand the CONSTANT desire for people to correct. The especially disagreeable cases are those involving incorrect corrections-Tennessee Williams is from Columbus, Mississippi.
0 Replies