Overpopulation & The End Of The World?

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 05:42 pm
This is a five part thread that must be adhered to precisely, else the poster will be banished to Bangladesh by ocean going garbage scow and all their assets will be sold to the lowest bidder (me)!

1) What is your precise/exact definition of overpopulation?

2) Taking the world as a whole (no breaking down into countries or areas or zones allowed at all) did we, do we, will we have overpopulation?

3) If you concur that in one or more of the three temporal ranges as per 2 that overpopulation is problematic, explain your reasoning.

4) If you do not concur that in one or more of the three temporal ranges as per 2 that overpopulation is problematic, explain your reasoning.

5) No cut and pasting allowed beyond two sentences from any source. No politicized rhetoric allowed at all. No irrational emotionalized diatribes allowed at all. Otherwise knock yourself out!

I will chime in with my points 1) through 5) shortly but I have to get back to renovating my house.

Cheers,

Chum
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,010 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 07:53 pm
Looks like someone is trying to invoke the A2K Term Paper assistance program. Smile Very Happy Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:15 pm
No, this thought came from the massively topheavy abortion thread
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56279&highlight= that temporarily got sidetracked into the mire of overpopulation discussions (which have correlations to birthrate / birthcontrol / abortion of course) and I promised Mysteryman and Barticus I would start a thread about it. I have not had time to put forward my initial perspectives yet is all.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
Sorry about that Chumly...

I swear though, if you look at it from a 'let me see what this thread is about' perspective, it REALLY does look like someone looking for the wonderful folks at A2K to help him write a paper for school/college. Laughing

Sorry about the interruption, we now return you to the thread already in progress. Very Happy
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:42 am
Ah, Overpopulation and Population control. It's the topic that people avoid when talking about Global Warming, because it has a nasty aftertaste to it.

Population control is a thorny issue. If you're not careful, you can go down the slippery slope and end doing exactly what the Nazis did.

Yes, there are too many people on this planet. There is no way we can be environmentally-friendly with that many people around.

There is also the issue that, there's so many people around, that if a disaster occurs like H5N1 pandemic or the super volcano at Yellowstone erupting, there will be an insane number of deaths.

Why do you think natural disasters have been claiming more lives lately? It's because there's more people getting in the way. Not their fault, of course, but that's the way it is.

However, if we say, we must control the population, what next? We prevent unhealthy people from being born? We do what the Nazis did and euthanase disabled people? Euthanise Africans, because there's so many of them? Jews, perhaps?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:26 am
Freedom to live or freedom to die, you choose!
0 Replies