Time For Another Guilty Pleasures

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:34 am
Those films that either didn't receive much in critical acclaim, didn't do very much box office or both:

To start things off:

"Summer Lovers"

An early film for Daryl Hannah, Peter Gallagher and a subsequently dissapearing
Valérie Quennessen together in a vacation we can all only imagine when we were young. It's almost a fantasy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,540 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:42 am
I saw that one, the scenes on Santorini were very picturesque and I thought the nudity went far for an American movie (or maybe I saw the European uncut version)

Which reminds me of a Greek film with a young (and topless, shocking in thoses days!) Irene Papas, which also plays out largely on Santorini and involved a pet donkey, but I never can recall the title of that film.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:47 am
The Princess bride

a silly slap stick comedy that is so horribly corny, you cant help but keep watching.
I have watched it.. ohh.. jeezee.. 30? times?
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:50 am
One of my all-time favorite "little" pictures is "The Big Kahuna", which basically consists of Kevin Spacey, Danny DeVito and Peter Fanicelli (sp?) as 3 salesmen at a convention in Wichita, KS (my city) ruminating about life and spirituality.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:56 am
You're right -- "The Big Kahuna" reached around 70% in favorable reviews but only did worldwide: $3,728,888 with a budge of $7M. A very watchable movie in good company with a similar film "Glengarry Glenn Ross."

I'm guilty also for "The Princess Bride" but I do remember it doing pretty well with the critics and at the box office.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:58 am
I loved "Chances Are" with Cybill Shepherd, Robert Downey Jr. and Ryan O'Neil.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097044/

It was such a sweet, yet hilarious romance. I especially loved the scene where Robert Downey plays up to a wealthy dowager, in order to save Cybill Shepherd's job.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:59 am
Wow, TPD did well with the critics:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/princess_bride/

But only did around 30M (maybe not horrible back then but not great).
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:01 am
"The Big Kahuna?"

Sounds like it should have been filmed in Hawaii.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:08 am
No, it's about a sales force attending a convention and it is biting satire, the slang meaning "the big boss."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:11 am
"Chances Are" barely made the grade with the critics and only did right just under $ 17M, even in 1989 not great. Good guilty pleasure!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:13 am
Here's one that history has been kinder to as at the time it did not get good reviews and did terrible box office:

"Blade Runner"

Is this a Daryl Hannah thing?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:31 am
How did "Dancing at the Blue Iguana" do? Also a Hannah vehicle.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:38 am
That would be a very guilty pleasure.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dancing_at_the_blue_iguana/

$30M box office and didn't fare well with user ratings either:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217355/

Is that being offered as your guilty pleasure? If so, you have to go sit in the corner for the rest of the day. Very Happy
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:59 am
I kind of liked the film, but I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure.

I am looking for a guilty pleasure that would be known across the pond, yet not have done well, its not an easy task.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:03 pm
Two come to mind.
"Gidget Goes Hawaiian"
"Dead Ringer"

Is there any way to turn OFF these annoying new hot links within our posts?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:06 pm
OK, I think I've got one. What about The Last Island (Gorris, 1990)? (Since we started about a film situated on an island) This film is the anti-thesis of Summer Lovers and as far as I can tell it did not win any awards and it was not the kind of film to be a box office success.

I cared enough to write a comment about it on IMDB.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:08 pm
Now those are great examples. I love "Dead Ringer" even though it's a Bette Davis potboiler, she and Karl Malden nailed it and produced an entertaining thriller.

I suppose I could sit through "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" with a large helping of poi by my side.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:16 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Now those are great examples. I love "Dead Ringer" even though it's a Bette Davis potboiler, she and Karl Malden nailed it and produced an entertaining thriller.

Don't forget Peter Lawford. What a weasel.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:19 pm
Oh, yeah -- Lawford was truly creepy and considering this film wasn't that remote from the death of Marilyn Monroe, it made my skin crawl the last time I saw the movie. Davis can do no wrong -- she's an American classic.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:21 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
OK, I think I've got one. What about The Last Island (Gorris, 1990)? (Since we started about a film situated on an island) This film is the anti-thesis of Summer Lovers and as far as I can tell it did not win any awards and it was not the kind of film to be a box office success.

I cared enough to write a comment about it on IMDB.

Sometimes a guilty pleasure can end up being a film that has been pushed into obscurity and didn't deserve it. Good one, passkynen.
0 Replies