Time For Another Guilty Pleasures

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:27 pm
Not many reviews available but here's one from Planet Out:

The Last Island

(1990, Netherlands)
Director: Gorris, Marleen

Full of drama, suspense, and graphic violence, The Last Island is a feminist Lord of the Flies for the `90s. As insightful and disturbing as her previous features (Broken Mirrors and A Question of Silence), here Marleen Gorris shows the underbelly of patriarchy and the desperation of the human condition as two women, five men, and a dog struggle to survive after their plane crashes on a deserted island. Two of the men are gay and one of the women seems to be a lesbian (although this is never explicitly stated).
A feminist film every man should see, this uncompromising indictment of male power and privilege is a masterpiece of politically engaged filmmaking. An apocalyptic allegory on the human condition, The Last Island takes on the thorniest ethical and moral issues of our time--reproductive rights, control of the body, mercy killing, the hypocrisy and tyranny of the Catholic church in relation to women and in relation to homosexuality, etc

(So I added it to my NetFlix queue -- curious to see it!)
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:59 pm
My picks would be McCabe and Mrs. Miller
and The Abominable Dr. Phibes
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:37 pm
I found another one (on the island theme) that I have never seen, but always wanted to: Signor Robinson, Il mostruosa storia d'amore e d'avventure (Mr Robinson, 1976). It is an Italian comedy featuring the rather shockingly beautiful Zeudi Araya as Friday (which is my sole reason for wanting to see it, so this must be a true guilty pleasure :-))
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:39 pm
Right! "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" received great critical acclaim but bombed at the box office. I think it is Altman's best movie but he has come close. It's authentic and a precusor, or part of the inspiration I think, to the HBO series "Deadwood."

I can watch "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" easily -- hope it show up on cable soon. Maybe on the hi-def channels? They have been screening some great movies lately and not always what they believe everyone will want to watch.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:50 am
Cabin Boy

Make no mistake: I'm not claiming that this is a good film that was unjustly savaged by the critics and ignored by audiences. Indeed, it is not a very good film at all. But I've always found something weirdly fascinating about Chris Elliott and the characters that he plays. And any movie that has David Letterman in an unbilled cameo asking "wanna' buy a monkey?" can't be irretrievably bad.
0 Replies