Iraq war seen as boosting terrorism: Poll

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 04:04 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
But let's not bother with bad analogies and instead look at your argument.

You are comparing a past course of action with a future outcome. And you are assessing that the past course of action was right because the future outcome is desirable.

So your justification for past actions is the desirable future outcome.

So if what happens in the future is undesirable, but a direct result to a past course of action, you'll have to account for that undesirable outcome as well.

At least when you maintain a position of "it was necessary" because of "a few years down the road".

It's perfectly rational to take steps to prevent a terrible, terrible danger from forming. Doing so is only common sense.

Okay. So tell me a bit about the steps that have been taken to prevent the terrible, terrible danger of an unstable Iraq where terrorists roam freely and that is, after three years of occupation, on the verge of open civil war...

Or are you implying that the way the invasion and the aftermath have been planned for were unrational?

I will not have five conversations with you at once. I won't allow you to change the subject every time I make my point. My point was that the invasion of Iraq was warranted by the unknown status of Iraq's WMDs and WMD programs, in answer to Lord E.'s mistaken statement that nothing was achieved by the invasion.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 04:22 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
But let's not bother with bad analogies and instead look at your argument.

You are comparing a past course of action with a future outcome. And you are assessing that the past course of action was right because the future outcome is desirable.

So your justification for past actions is the desirable future outcome.

So if what happens in the future is undesirable, but a direct result to a past course of action, you'll have to account for that undesirable outcome as well.

At least when you maintain a position of "it was necessary" because of "a few years down the road".

It's perfectly rational to take steps to prevent a terrible, terrible danger from forming. Doing so is only common sense.

Okay. So tell me a bit about the steps that have been taken to prevent the terrible, terrible danger of an unstable Iraq where terrorists roam freely and that is, after three years of occupation, on the verge of open civil war...

Or are you implying that the way the invasion and the aftermath have been planned for were unrational?

I will not have five conversations with you at once. I won't allow you to change the subject every time I make my point. My point was that the invasion of Iraq was warranted by the unknown status of Iraq's WMDs and WMD programs, in answer to Lord E.'s mistaken statement that nothing was achieved by the invasion.

Sorry, but that was not your point. Your point was that Bush...

Brandon9000 wrote:
... also achieved absolute certainty that a few years down the road, Hussein would not have a stockpile of nuclear and biological weapons with which to terrorize the world.

Your statement implies that the invasion was a wise course of action, because it prevented an undesirable situation in the future. In your words, "It's perfectly rational to take steps to prevent a terrible, terrible danger from forming. Doing so is only common sense."

Now, I'll repeat my question for you: if it is perfectly rational as well as common sense to take steps to prevent a terrible, terrible danger from forming, what was done to prevent the terrible, terrible danger of a chaotic situation in Iraq - where terrorists roam freely and where civil war is around the corner -, what was done to prevent that situation?
0 Replies