Who's booty you kissing?

tycoon

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 11:01 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

Okay...I am dying to hear the rationalizations why this all makes fine sense...and that the punishment was not out of proportion to the transgression.

God didn't seem to follow through with his punishment to the serpent. It doesn't appear that Satan was crawling on his belly eating dust when he led Jesus up to an exceedingly high place.

Not much of a punishment for man--pull a few weeds and otherwise become gainfully employed in the agricultural business.

But he was good on his word about the dominion thing over women and the childbirth thing. Those women sure have that coming, don't they? Teach them a thing or two about doing what they're told.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 11:23 am
hephzibah wrote:
wandeljw wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Neo wrote:

Quote:
I thought perhaps this thread might be serious, but now that my 'eyes have been opened', I see it has degenerated into a word smorgasbord. Interesting to note that when Adam and Eve's eyes were opened, they covered their bodies. Perhaps us guys can go to the strip club so long as we keep our eyes closed.

Question

I think Neo is being unfair. Both Frank and Hephzibah have made serious points. Frank has argued that Adam and Eve were punished for becoming more god-like. However, I think Hephzibah effectively points out that God intended them to be somewhat god-like (references in Genesis about creating man in his image and giving man dominion over other creatures.)

Thank you wandel. I understand though why people could get frustrated with this. Going around in circles is only fun the first time. Maybe the second time is a little fun... but eventually it just gets old. Smile
ER.

I was referring to Terry's laughingly recondite interpretation of one's eyes being opened.

This topic did start with the word 'booty' did it not?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 11:26 am
Terry wrote:
. . . Do you know of any instance in the Bible where Satan actually lies? NOT where he is called a liar or deceiver, but something he actually said that was untruthful. . .
Aside from the book of Genesis, How about the book of Job?

It is very convenient to put Satan in the hero role. Surely, Jesus did not.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 11:31 am
Frank wrote:

Quote:
Adam and Eve did not know good from evil...they were tempted by the greatest tempter of all time...and the infraction actually gained them knowledge.

They were innocents...naive new borns.

Agreed.

Frank wrote:
Quote:
It was an act of disobedience...but the extenuating circumstances are enormous.

So what was the punishment.

The book...the entire library...was thrown at them.

Worse than 10 consecutive life sentences.

Ok.

Frank wrote:
Quote:
They were cast out of paradise...cause to feel pain...subjected to death...and a bunch of other stuff.

The reason for them being cast out of the garden is stated quite clearly in Genesis 3:

21 Also for Adam and his wife the LORD God made tunics of skin, and clothed them. 22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live foreverFrank wrote:
Quote:
AND ALL THE REST OF HUMANITY FOR ALL THE REST OF TIME were subjected to that same punishment.

It is not "punishment" Frank. It is the consequence of the choice they made. There is a difference between the two.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 11:48 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Let's talk for a bit about the "punishment." (This is pretty much my final installment on the first 3 chapters of Genesis.)

Adam and Eve did not know good from evil...they were tempted by the greatest tempter of all time...and the infraction actually gained them knowledge.

The only naivete here is in the boldness of your assumption, Frank.
Frank Apisa wrote:

They were cast out of paradise...cause to feel pain...subjected to death...and a bunch of other stuff.
If they had been permitted to live without a perfect moral standard, would that have been better? We would continue to have evil and misery. We just couldn't die.
Frank Apisa wrote:
AND ALL THE REST OF HUMANITY FOR ALL THE REST OF TIME were subjected to that same punishment.
False! God immediately set in motion the redemption of mankind
Frank Apisa wrote:

Okay...I am dying to hear the rationalizations why this all makes fine sense...and that the punishment was not out of proportion to the transgression.
I am not going to tell you that 6,000 years of human misery compares to the eating of a fruit. However, the responsibility falls, not on God, but on the rebel. For example, Jesus said: ". . . Satan has demanded to have YOU men to sift YOU as wheat" (Luke 22:31)

On the other hand, God has promised to set all things straight. I'll go with that for now.

Have a nice day, Frank.

And, no peeking. Smile
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 12:05 pm
neologist wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
wandeljw wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Neo wrote:

Quote:
I thought perhaps this thread might be serious, but now that my 'eyes have been opened', I see it has degenerated into a word smorgasbord. Interesting to note that when Adam and Eve's eyes were opened, they covered their bodies. Perhaps us guys can go to the strip club so long as we keep our eyes closed.

Question

I think Neo is being unfair. Both Frank and Hephzibah have made serious points. Frank has argued that Adam and Eve were punished for becoming more god-like. However, I think Hephzibah effectively points out that God intended them to be somewhat god-like (references in Genesis about creating man in his image and giving man dominion over other creatures.)

Thank you wandel. I understand though why people could get frustrated with this. Going around in circles is only fun the first time. Maybe the second time is a little fun... but eventually it just gets old. Smile
ER.

I was referring to Terry's laughingly recondite interpretation of one's eyes being opened.

This topic did start with the word 'booty' did it not?

Oops sorry. I wasn't trying to put any words in your mouth.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 01:22 pm
neologist wrote:
Terry wrote:
. . . Do you know of any instance in the Bible where Satan actually lies? NOT where he is called a liar or deceiver, but something he actually said that was untruthful. . .
Aside from the book of Genesis, How about the book of Job?

It is very convenient to put Satan in the hero role. Surely, Jesus did not.

Satan tells no lies in Job either. God's behavior on the other hand is reprehensible. Covering Job with boils, killing his animals, approving the death of Job's wife and children. It goes on and on, all to prove a little side bet.

I know of no passages in the OT or NT where Satan is dishonest.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 01:30 pm
Author: The Book of Job does not specifically name its author. The most likely candidates are Job, Elihu, Moses and Solomon.

Date of Writing: The date of the authorship of the Book of Job would go in connection with the author of the Book of Job. If Moses was the author, the date would be around 1440 B.C. If Solomon was the author, the date would be around 950 B.C.

Purpose of Writing: The Book of Job helps us to understand the following: Satan cannot bring financial and physical destruction upon us unless it is by God's permission. God has power over what Satan can and cannot do. It is beyond our human ability to understand the "why's" behind all the suffering in the world. The wicked will receive their just dues. We cannot always blame our suffering and sin on our lifestyles. Suffering may sometimes be allowed in our lives to purify, test, teach or strengthen the soul. God remains enough, deserves and requests our love and praise in all circumstances of life.

Key Verses: Job 1:1, "In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil."

Job 1:21, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."

Job 38:1-2, "Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said, 'Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?'"

Job 42:5-6, "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."

Brief Summary: Why do the righteous suffer? This is the question raised after Job loses his family, his wealth, and his health. Job's 3 friends, Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar, come to comfort him and to discuss his crushing series of tragedies. They insist his suffering is punishment for sin in his life. Job, though, remains devoted to God through all of this and contends that his life has not been one of sin. A fourth man, Elihu, tells Job he needs to humble himself and submit to God's use of trials to purify his life. Finally, Job questions God Himself and learns valuable lessons about the sovereignty of God and his need to totally trust in the Lord. Job is then restored to health, happiness and prosperity beyond his earlier state.

Practical Application: Don't get angry at God. Use problems to strengthen your character and bring glory to God. Refuse to be proud. Do you feel like God has left you to face your problems alone? Trust God to work in your life day by day. Let God be your source of security.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Book-of-Job.html

Because God would allow Satan to do something DOES NOT MEAN GOD IS THE ONE DOING IT! If you allowed someone to eat at your table, does it mean you are the one that ate?

Satan tells no lies? Surely, you are not serious?
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 01:46 pm
hephzibah wrote:
[They were cast out of paradise, yes. To prevent them from eating from the tree of life and living forever. (edit:) I believe it was to keep them from living in a continual state of disobedience to God. Had they done that there would have been no hope for redemption.

If there ever was a time for lawyers, it was then. My own lawyer, as unmotivated as he is, could drive his BMW top speed through this scenario and deliver a knock-out summation to the jury.

It would all boil down to who's in charge. Who's responsible for this tragic chain of events? Who put that stupid tree there? Who created this cunning con artist? Who didn't place the proper warning labels on him? Who was negligent in the training for on the job responsibilities? Who was absent in his oversight when imminent danger was present?

And sadly, who decided redemption was necessary? Why couldn't they just happily live forever naked in the stupid garden without the phony need to redeem?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, if the myth don't fit, you can't acquit.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 01:51 pm
Rolling Eyes Oh I see. So then having said all that I suppose then the parents of a 30 yr old who murders someone are actually the ones responsible and should be put away for life. Yep. That makes perfect sense. What was I thinking?
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 01:54 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Author: The Book of Job does not specifically name its author. The most likely candidates are Job, Elihu, Moses and Solomon.

Date of Writing: The date of the authorship of the Book of Job would go in connection with the author of the Book of Job. If Moses was the author, the date would be around 1440 B.C. If Solomon was the author, the date would be around 950 B.C.

Purpose of Writing: The Book of Job helps us to understand the following: Satan cannot bring financial and physical destruction upon us unless it is by God's permission. God has power over what Satan can and cannot do. It is beyond our human ability to understand the "why's" behind all the suffering in the world. The wicked will receive their just dues. We cannot always blame our suffering and sin on our lifestyles. Suffering may sometimes be allowed in our lives to purify, test, teach or strengthen the soul. God remains enough, deserves and requests our love and praise in all circumstances of life.

Key Verses: Job 1:1, "In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil."

Job 1:21, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."

Job 38:1-2, "Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said, 'Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?'"

Job 42:5-6, "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."

Brief Summary: Why do the righteous suffer? This is the question raised after Job loses his family, his wealth, and his health. Job's 3 friends, Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar, come to comfort him and to discuss his crushing series of tragedies. They insist his suffering is punishment for sin in his life. Job, though, remains devoted to God through all of this and contends that his life has not been one of sin. A fourth man, Elihu, tells Job he needs to humble himself and submit to God's use of trials to purify his life. Finally, Job questions God Himself and learns valuable lessons about the sovereignty of God and his need to totally trust in the Lord. Job is then restored to health, happiness and prosperity beyond his earlier state.

Practical Application: Don't get angry at God. Use problems to strengthen your character and bring glory to God. Refuse to be proud. Do you feel like God has left you to face your problems alone? Trust God to work in your life day by day. Let God be your source of security.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Book-of-Job.html

Because God would allow Satan to do something DOES NOT MEAN GOD IS THE ONE DOING IT! If you allowed someone to eat at your table, does it mean you are the one that ate?

Satan tells no lies? Surely, you are not serious?

After what he did to Job, that is the lesson to take from it? Trust god for your source of security? I insist God stay away from my family.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 01:58 pm
I guess you just don't get it, do you, Tycoon? God DID NOT DO IT! Satan did it! Job didn't hate God for it!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:03 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Frank wrote:

Quote:

Agreed.

Frank wrote:
Quote:

Ok.

Frank wrote:
Quote:

The reason for them being cast out of the garden is stated quite clearly in Genesis 3:

21 Also for Adam and his wife the LORD God made tunics of skin, and clothed them. 22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever

I do not think I ever said that.

Remember...I think this story is an allegory...a deeply DEEPLY flawed allegory.

I think the people who wrote it thought humans were "sinful" and this story is just their feeble attempt to justify what they saw as the pain of living the human condition.

Quote:
Please note that it says "... and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever." It does not say, "...and eat, live forever, and become more god like." So I have a question first:

Okay...but I do not think I ever said anything about them being cast out because they might become more god like. Frankly...I don't see how gaining the knowledge of good and evil made them more god-like either.

Quote:
Why did God cloth them?

Beats the hell out of me. Are you saying this is your god being loving?????

Quote:
If His only concern was to "punish" them, why then did He not cause them to continue to live in their state of nakedness as a continual reminder of their failure?

Maybe the god thought living naked would subject them to greater danger of disease and sickness...and they would not live long enough to be punished as much as the god wanted them to be punished.

But I really do not know. The allegory make no sense to me...and this part is no less nonsensical than any of the other parts.

Quote:
They were cast out of paradise, yes. To prevent them from eating from the tree of life and living forever. (edit:) I believe it was to keep them from living in a continual state of disobedience to God. Had they done that there would have been no hope for redemption.

They would not have had to be "redeemed" in the first place, if the god hadn't put more on their plate than they could handle. This was a sting operation, Heph.

Quote:
The pain they were "caused to feel" is the direct result of the knowledge of good and evil. It is something they "were not aware of" even existing until they had that knowledge.

Maybe it is colder...and the weather more harsh outside the garden, Heph. You have no idea of what pains they felt...or the causes of the pains. And how is the pain of childbirth...that the god so lovingly bestowed on Eve...related to her knowledge of good and evil?

Quote:
The death they were "subjected to" was the death they were warned about.

Nice try. No cigar.

Quote:

Frank wrote:
Quote:

It is not "punishment" Frank. It is the consequence of the choice they made. There is a difference between the two.

Why should I...or you...or MA...or anyone else be subjected to "consequences" of any kind because of the choices Adam and Eve made????

And if the "consequences" involves pain that would otherwise not be felt...perhaps the differnce between "punishment" and "consequences" is as great as you want to think it is.

But anyway...am I to assume from what you wrote that you think the punishment was very proportional to the offense?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:06 pm
Can we please not get sidetracked in this thread? It's so easy to do. I know. I'm struggling with it myself. But I would appreciate it if the issues other than the first three books of Genesis could go elsewhere. Sorry. Not trying to be rude. I would just really try to stay focused on the issue at hand without throwing too many things in the mix. Thanks.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:06 pm
tycoon wrote:

After what he did to Job, that is the lesson to take from it? Trust god for your source of security? I insist God stay away from my family.

Well...tycoon...if I may...I'd like to remind you that there may actually be a GOD...and if there is, I doubt you have any need to fear that GOD "being near" you or your family.

What you want away from your family, more than likely, is the barbaric, monster god of the Bible...

...and its adherents.

N'est ce pas?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:07 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Can we please not get sidetracked in this thread? It's so easy to do. I know. I'm struggling with it myself. But I would appreciate it if the issues other than the first three books of Genesis could go elsewhere. Sorry. Not trying to be rude. I would just really try to stay focused on the issue at hand without throwing too many things in the mix. Thanks.

I second this motion...and I thank you for raising it, Heph. This is difficult enough with the sidetracks...of which I am occasionally guilty also.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:16 pm
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Let's talk for a bit about the "punishment." (This is pretty much my final installment on the first 3 chapters of Genesis.)

The only naivete here is in the boldness of your assumption, Frank.

Bold assumptions.

New borns...and new borns who have been denied the knowledge of what is right and wrong...good and evil. Folks with what seems to be precious little experience.

C'mon, Neo. Even you should be able to do better than this.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

If they had been permitted to live without a perfect moral standard, would that have been better?

No. So are you now arguing our side.

Your god should have given them the knowledge of good and bad...right and wrong...good and evil right from the start. That certainly would form the basis for a "perfect moral standard"...at least in this kind of a fairytale. The only reason that "knowledge" was considered "god like" is because it appears the people who wrote this nonsense were not thinking things through.

Quote:

We would continue to have evil and misery. We just couldn't die.

Wow...talk about "bold assumptions."

What on earth are you thinking about here...assuming you are thinking, Neo?

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
False! God immediately set in motion the redemption of mankind
Frank Apisa wrote:

I am not going to tell you that 6,000 years of human misery compares to the eating of a fruit. However, the responsibility falls, not on God, but on the rebel.

The responsibility falls on the silly, petty god...no matter what. The god could have worked the garden in a way not to put the innocents in temptation..the god could have removed the great tempter...the god could have acted like an adult instead of a petulant child when it didn't gets its way.

The responsibility for all this nonsense...in the horrible allegory...is primarily the god's.

The innocents are mere pawns in this sting.

Quote:
Have a nice day, Frank.

You too, Neo.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:18 pm
I, for one, am only responsible for and suffer the consequences of my own actions. I don't suffer them for what Adam and Eve did. Perhaps that is where some are going wrong here? Do you actually feel God is up there in heaven saying, "because Adam and Eve did this I'm gonna spank you for it?"

It seems some are taking some of the story as allegorical and some of it as literal.http://www.smileys.ws/smls/yahoo/00000033.gif
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:29 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Why should I...or you...or MA...or anyone else be subjected to "consequences" of any kind because of the choices Adam and Eve made????
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:49 pm
Chumly,

Why take some of it literally and some of it allegorically? I don't understand.
0 Replies