Who's booty you kissing?

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:54 pm
hephzibah wrote:
So... Frank, Ty, tell me how I would benefit greatly? I sincerely would like to know what the benefits of not believing in God would be.

Heph...

...well, let me first acknowledge that there are benefits to "believing in" gods.

There is comfort derived from supposing there is a god looking over you...that there is always "someone" to whom you can "turn for help." In a sense...believing in god is much like always having a loving parent available...always ready to listen and, after a fashion, help in times of stress.

That having been said, however...there is an analogy to the old saying: Give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach him to fish, and he can eat for the rest of his life.

There is at least the possibility that every time you've ever asked your god for help...you have been doing nothing more than talking to yourself.

On those occasions when your god answered with help and the problem was handled satisfactorily...there is the possibility that you simply sucked it up on your own...and dealt with whatever it is you asked help to handle.

And on those occasions when your god withheld help and you rationalized it by saying that your god sometimes says "yes" and sometimes says "no" (for good reason, of course)...

...and the problem became torture...didn't go away...got worse...

...there is the possibility that you simply let yourself down...that you didn't get sufficient mileage out of what you have to offer yourself.

I don't know if there is a god...and I don't know (if there is one) that the god is the kind of god that would get involved with the day to day tribulations of humans. And if there is such a god...I don't know that "believing in it" would be one of the criteria the god would require for lending a hand.

My guess is that you don't know either.

To simply guess there is and to give that god credit (and sometime hidden blame) for what happens in your life...makes you, in my opinon, less a full person.

NOT BELIEVING IN GOD...to directly answer your question...eliminates this area of your life. It allows you to give yourself credit when credit is due (nothing like a well-deserved self-administered atta girl)...and allows you to see when you've screwed up so you can make the adjustments that will ease (or avoid entirely) later screw-ups.

Whether he was being sarcastic or not, Snood said it plainly: You'd be captain of your boat; master of your destiny.

And as Chumly mentioned: You'd be relieved of an unnecessary (perhaps unwarranted) set of obligations that you really don't need in your life.

We'll talk about this more, because your question is an excellent one. I want to reflect on it a bit more. Just came across it after going out for dinner.

Probably more tomorrow on this.

0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:31 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
I'm not so sure I'm the one having trouble reading here Jason.

hephzibah wrote:
Which is what Jason?

Are you going to answer the question or not?

I kinda know that you have a brain, heph. Just throw me a guess. You can do it! What is the benefit in knowing that Santa Clause doens't really exist? This answer is quite obvious, Heph.

Do you want me to do all the thinking for you? That's not fair, child.

Jason, you have got to be one the most friggin hard headed dudes I've ever met. GOOD GOD! Just answer the stinkin question. Unless of course you don't have an answer. I think we all know and are crystal clear on the fact that your answer and my answer could be quite different. I want to know what your answer is. I know what mine is. So just answer the stinkin question you butthead. Prove to me you have a brain too. Very Happy
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:51 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Jason, you have got to be one the most friggin hard headed dudes I've ever met. GOOD GOD!

I know.
Gotta love me, right? :wink:

And can't you tell that I'm all-loving, too.

hephzibah wrote:
Just answer the stinkin question. Unless of course you don't have an answer.

You're right. I probably don't know an answer to this question…Rolling Eyes

hephzibah wrote:
I think we all know and are crystal clear on the fact that your answer and my answer could be quite different.

That's why I asked you the question in the first place, sweetheart. I wanted to know your take on this.

hephzibah wrote:
I want to know what your answer is. I know what mine is.

I know what my answer is too…but have you heard the phrase "ladies first"? Or are you one of those feminists?

hephzibah wrote:
So just answer the stinkin question you butthead.

Not with this attitude of yours, I won't.

hephzibah wrote:
Prove to me you have a brain too. Very Happy

Who the hell told you I have a brain? Have you seen any evidece of such thing?

(Do you have a personal vendetta with me, love?)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:58 pm
Yeah, that's it. Heph's out to get you.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:19 pm
Jason Wrote:

Quote:

I know.
Gotta love me, right?

And can't you tell that I'm all-loving, too.

You know Jason I gotta tell you, you remind me of ET. He was so ugly he was cute. LOL Not implying you are ugly here! Just saying that YOU DRIVE ME FRIGGIN CRAZY sometimes! ARRRRGGGHH!

Jason wrote:

Quote:
You're right. I probably don't know an answer to this question…
Rolling Eyes

Jason the sooner you learn I am always right, the better we'll get along... Why am I always right? Because I am a woman. Plain and simple...

BWAAAAAAA HAHAHA! Just kidding! :wink:

Jason wrote:
Quote:
That's why I asked you the question in the first place, sweetheart. I wanted to know your take on this.

Well pookypie... I just did this huge dissertation on what I believe and why. Did you neglect to read that? LOL

My angle on this specific thing, honestly speaking, is that I don't see what the benefits could be. I don't see how there could be benefits to not believing in God. It has done me no harm. It has only done me good. I would like to hear from people who don't believe in God what they believe the benefits are. You, if I remember correctly, told me at one point you have been on both sides of this. So dear, you have a very valuable perspective to me. As one who believed in something I believe in, and now you don't.

Jason wrote:
Quote:
Not with this attitude of yours, I won't.

LOL well even if I don't say it... I still think it! :wink:

Jason wrote:
Quote:
Who the hell told you I have a brain? Have you seen any evidece of such thing?

(Do you have a personal vendetta with me, love?)

Hmmmm... of course you have a brain... right?

And as far as the personal vendetta with you... well darling... I gotta tell you... NO. YOU JUST DRIVE ME FRIGGIN CRAZY sometimes! ARRRRGGGHH! Very Happy
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:50 pm
hephzibah wrote:
I don't see how there could be benefits to not believing in God. It has done me no harm. It has only done me good. I would like to hear from people who don't believe in God what they believe the benefits are.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:12 pm
"All these things I will give you if you will fall down and worship me"

Trivia Quiz! What famous biblical character said those words???
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:21 pm
Well Mr. Chumly sir, first of all let me recall to your memory that I said: "It has done ME no harm. It has only done ME good."

Christianity in and of itself has hurt a lot of people in a LOT of ways. As I'm sure many "religions" have. The fault is not in God but in the religion itself if you ask me. The people who... oh shoot... I better stop there...

Anyway, moving on. As far as proof. Well all I can say is the proof is in the pudding. I don't bash people. I don't go around and kill people who have abortions or support it. I don't judge or criticize people for what they do, or say, or don't say, or whatever. I don't do most of the stuff "christians" do, or are classified as doing, and I don't give a flip what any of them think about it. What class they put me in. Whatever. I'm willing to listen to what people say and consider it and explore it as well. ( Shocked imagine that!) I am most certainly not perfect, but I'll admit when I'm wrong. Sometimes quicker than others though. LOL

Believing what I believe has shown me what is right and wrong to ME. (which, by the way, everyone has to come to terms with in their own way) And most of the time that goes against the flow of about everything considered normal, or usual. LOL I friggin hate it sometimes, but I love it too. I just am what I am Chumly. That's it. Regardless of the means to my getting here, and if you agree to them or not, this is what I am, this is what I believe, and I am ok with, that whether anyone else is or not. If you don't consider that proof... well... sorry, that's all I got. Nothing more. Me. Take it. Leave it. Throw it in trash. Whatever. *shrugs*
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:21 pm
snood,

I don't know if you intended this, but you sound like "church lady" on SNL. (Could it be Satan?) Smile
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:25 pm
wandel... you gotta get it right! It's:

could it be...

perhaps...

SAAATAN????

BWAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHA! I haven't thought about that in a looong time!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:37 pm
Smile Good one.

I used to love it when she would talk about "our naughty places".
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:39 pm
Snood,

I'm so glad you have that avatar back! I missed that one.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:02 am
Oh, BTW Chumly, there are days, yes there are, where I think, OMG why? Why do I believe this. If ya'll can't tell I'm definitely a little bitter towards "christianity" itself right now. So I may as well just go ahead and apologize because I do realize I'm being very judgemental in many ways. I already didn't have the best perspective of it, then I had to go off and prove all my theory's by marrying a "christian" man. You would think I would be a little bit more gracious. LOL Sometimes I feel more gracious than others. I'm not feeling so gracious tonight. I'm feeling rather pissed actually.

I'm just so tired of all the BS. Maybe this won't make much sense to anyone, but being honest here, I have a lot of respect for several people here because they walk the walk they talk. Even if that walk goes against what I believe. They still walk it. They are consistent. They follow through with what they believe. Right or wrong that says something about them. It is integrity. Poor "christians" are getting a very unfair shake from me right now. I do realize this, and I am sorry. But dang it all if you are going to talk the talk the WALK THE WALK. Don't preach a God of love and live a life of hate.

If you really believe what the bible teaches LIVE IT. OUT LOUD. Don't sit there and beat someone over the head with your bible then tell them, "Oh, by the way, God loves you." JESUS CHRIST! How stupid is that? That's beyond stupid. It's friggin moronic. Don't be cynical and judgemental of people and then wonder why that's all you get in return! The worst part of all about all of this is that most of this isn't even in the bible, it's friggin life. You get what you give. It's just that simple. Why can't people see this? I can't believe I'm doing this but this has all been on my mind for awhile and I'm in a spouting off mood right now. Poor "christians". OMG.

I'm so sorry, but I'm not. What I really am is tired as hell of sitting by and watching these people who say they know God go do all the things they are accused of and then to top it all of DENY it. Looking down their noses at others. Putting people in classes and groups. Coming up with little "plans" to "win them over" or whatever the heck it is, not even knowing or seeing how they look to anyone besides themselves. Ok, I'm going to stop now. I just needed to get this off my chest. You know what? I am sorry if I am arrogant about this. I really am. I'm just tired is all. Friggin "christians". They have no friggin clue how many people they really hurt.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:05 am
hephzibah wrote:
Oh, BTW Chumly, there are days, yes there are, where I think, OMG why? Why do I believe this. If ya'll can't tell I'm definitely a little bitter towards "christianity" itself right now. So I may as well just go ahead and apologize because I do realize I'm being very judgemental in many ways. I already didn't have the best perspective of it, then I had to go off and prove all my theory's by marrying a "christian" man. You would think I would be a little bit more gracious. LOL Sometimes I feel more gracious than others. I'm not feeling so gracious tonight. I'm feeling rather pissed actually.

I'm just so tired of all the BS. Maybe this won't make much sense to anyone, but being honest here, I have a lot of respect for several people here because they walk the walk they talk. Even if that walk goes against what I believe. They still walk it. They are consistent. They follow through with what they believe. Right or wrong that says something about them. It is integrity. Poor "christians" are getting a very unfair shake from me right now. I do realize this, and I am sorry. But dang it all if you are going to talk the talk the WALK THE WALK. Don't preach a God of love and live a life of hate.

If you really believe what the bible teaches LIVE IT. OUT LOUD. Don't sit there and beat someone over the head with your bible then tell them, "Oh, by the way, God loves you." JESUS CHRIST! How stupid is that? That's beyond stupid. It's friggin moronic. Don't be cynical and judgemental of people and then wonder why that's all you get in return! The worst part of all about all of this is that most of this isn't even in the bible, it's friggin life. You get what you give. It's just that simple. Why can't people see this? I can't believe I'm doing this but this has all been on my mind for awhile and I'm in a spouting off mood right now. Poor "christians". OMG.

I'm so sorry, but I'm not. What I really am is tired as hell of sitting by and watching these people who say they know God go do all the things they are accused of and then to top it all of DENY it. Looking down their noses at others. Putting people in classes and groups. Coming up with little "plans" to "win them over" or whatever the heck it is, not even knowing or seeing how they look to anyone besides themselves. Ok, I'm going to stop now. I just needed to get this off my chest. You know what? I am sorry if I am arrogant about this. I really am. I'm just tired is all. Friggin "christians". They have no friggin clue how many people they really hurt.

Times like this I just want to hug you and fornicate with you.
Smile
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:09 am
Doktor S wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

Times like this I just want to hug you and fornicate with you.
Smile

OMG! Dok... you read my mind... Shocked

BWAAAAAAAAA HAHAHA! Just kidding. :wink:

See what happens when my little pookypie Jason starts pushing my buttons? Dang him... LOL
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:36 am
Chumly wrote:
Time for the relativistic teaser Smile
neologist wrote:
Good is coming home after a long day.

Not from the perspective of your wife's lover hiding in the clothes closet!
neologist wrote:
Bad is finding the toilet overflowed.

Not from the perspective of the plumber's income!
neologist wrote:
Good is a sizzlin' steak.

Not from the perspective of the cow that had to die.
neologist wrote:
Bad is the steak after Fido gets hold of it.

Not from the perspective of Fido's taste buds!
Ya gotta have the right perspective! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:04 am
Well, hephzibah, I have never had reason to doubt your honesty. Still don't.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:08 am
Roger, you are so sweet. You know it's strange I was wondering about you not too long ago. Wondering where you've been. I'm glad to see you are still around. Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:15 am
Ayeah. I look in much more often than I comment.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:17 am
That is probably some wisdom I could apply to my own life! LOL I think I talk too much sometimes. Whew....
0 Replies