VP Dick Cheney is expected to retire within a year

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:38 am
Cheney seen retiring after midterm elections
Vice President Dick Cheney is expected to retire within a year.
2/27/06

Senior GOP sources envision the retirement of Mr. Cheney in 2007, months after the congressional elections. The sources said Mr. Cheney would be persuaded to step down as he becomes an increasing political liability to President Bush.

The sources reported a growing rift between the president and vice president as well as their staffs. They cited Mr. Cheney's failure to immediately tell the president of the accidental shooting of the vice president's hunting colleague earlier this month. The White House didn't learn of the incident until 18 hours later.

Mr. Cheney's next crisis could take place by the end of the year, the sources said. They said the White House was expecting Mr. Cheney to defend himself against charges from his former chief of staff, Lewis Libby, that the vice president ordered him to relay classified information. Such a charge could lead to a congressional investigation and even impeachment proceedings.

"Nothing will happen until after the congressional elections," a GOP source said. "After that, there will be significant changes in the administration and Cheney will probably be part of that."

Already, senators expect Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald to investigate whether Mr. Cheney authorized Mr. Libby to divulge classified material. Mr. Libby has told a grand jury that unnamed "superiors" directed him to relay the content of a National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq in July 2003.

"I don't think anybody should be releasing classified information, period, whether in the Congress, executive branch or some underling in some bureaucracy," said Sen. George Allen, Virginia Republican.

The sources said the accidental shooting highlighted the lack of communications between Bush and Cheney staffers. They said at one point, the president held what was termed a private conversation with Mr. Cheney regarding the Feb. 11 incident. Hours later, Mr. Cheney, who kept away from reporters, explained the incident in an interview with Fox News on Feb. 15.

"Nobody on the president's staff could get to Cheney, let alone tell him what to do," the source said. "At that point, the president picked up the phone and suggested that Cheney get his story out fast."

The sources said Mr. Cheney, 65, has been struggling with the departure of his closest aides. In addition to Mr. Libby, Mr. Cheney's media adviser, Steve Schmidt, has left to manage the re-election campaign of California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Mr. Bush, the sources said, has rejected the advice from circles close to his father, the former president, to dismiss Mr. Cheney. They say Mr. Bush has long regarded Mr. Cheney as the experienced hand in national security, as well as being trusted by the conservative wing of the Republican Party.

"The Libby case is far more lethal than the hunting accident," another GOP source said. "If the heat gets too much, Cheney might say his health requires him to leave office. Whatever happens, the president will make sure it's handled delicately."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,292 • Replies: 22
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:19 am
Hmm.

Who would replace him?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:24 am
Sozobe
sozobe wrote:
Hmm.

Who would replace him?

Whomever the Republicans want to be their 2008 presidential candidate.

I assume the pressure will be on Condi Rice. Possibly even John McCain, who loathes Bush but wants to be president.

An example would be Ronald Reagan taking George H.W. Bush as his vice president. The Reagans, especially Nancy, loathed the Bushes and never invited them upstairs to their quarters. The Bushes were insulted by this snub, especially Barbara, and resented it during Reagan's two terms. They didn't like nor respect each other, but politics makes strange bedfellows.

BBB
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:29 am
There's a good chance Cheney will be indicted and resign before the election. imo.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:30 am
I would be very surprised by McCain taking over the position. I don't think Bush would ask, and I don't think he would accept. It simply isn't good for anyone.

I think Rice is a safe bet.

A Rice-Clinton contest in 2008 would, although I hate both of them,make an awfully interesting race. (I still pray that this doesn't happen, but it would be interesting)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:52 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I would be very surprised by McCain taking over the position. I don't think Bush would ask, and I don't think he would accept. It simply isn't good for anyone.

A Rice-Clinton contest in 2008 would, although I hate both of them,make an awfully interesting race. (I still pray that this doesn't happen, but it would be interesting)

I think you all underestimate the number of people who wouldn't vote in a Black as president no matter WHAT the circumstance, but that's just me.

Besides, y'all are forgetting good -ole Bill Frist.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:58 am
I unfortunately see Snood as being correct.

And Condi isn't going to win a lot of people over with that gruff demeanor of hers, either.

I'd put my money on Mike Huckabee before Bill Frist, though.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 11:09 am
snood wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

I think you all underestimate the number of people who wouldn't vote in a Black as president no matter WHAT the circumstance, but that's just me.

Besides, y'all are forgetting good -ole Bill Frist.

But what would the majority of these folk do if the alternative was Hillary?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 11:12 am
Hey, to me, the same goes for the general level of acceptance toward the idea of a woman president. But it's just my opinion. Please, opine on...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:59 pm
I think Condi is double whammied by being a woman and being black, but she also is whammied by being an ass licking sycophant and that's got nothing to do with her sex or her race.....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:01 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I think Condi is double whammied by being a woman and being black, but she also is whammied by being an ass licking sycophant and that's got nothing to do with her sex or her race.....

Amen, brudder.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 02:50 pm
What does political liability mean to Bush?

He isn't standing for re election.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:03 am
dlowan wrote:

It means the leverage to get public support for programs and to get his programs through Congress. The less popularity a president has, the less leverage to get members of Congress to see things your way.

Bush has quite a few political liabilities right now. It is hard to twist the arm of a Senator who is trying to distance herself from you due to your unpopularity with her constituents.

I think the writer is saying that Cheney makes Bush weaker (i.e. less popular).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:01 pm
That's interesting, thank you.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
Hmm.

Who would replace him?

Someone good at changing diapers, maintaining medications, ???

Anon
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 04:24 pm
dlowan wrote:

"political Liability" probably doesn't mean anything to Bush. But then, most English words over two syllables probably don't mean anything to Bush.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

paull

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 04:25 pm
I am still new around here, and perhaps I will get used to, and cease to be amazed by, the way threads are started based on nothing. What is the source of the original post? It looks to be cut and pasted. Shouldn't the fact that some of its main points are absolutely wrong place some doubt on the validity of the "sources" it quotes?

For instance, the White House wasn't informed for 18 hours? Not so:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4722432.stm

There is no reason Cheney won't be around to see his term out, if his health holds up. I am pretty sure if Bumblebeeboogie had stated the source of his post, it would have been disregarded by the fairminded.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 04:26 pm
The only way Cheney can be removed from office is to be impeached. I know that most conseratives believe in a royal presidency but bush cannot remove Cheney from office.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 04:50 pm
Good evening, Paull, and welcome to A2K. I agree with you about "news stories" being posted here without any attribution. It could be a legitimate news source where there are fact checkers, or it could be some guy sitting at his computer making stuff up on some blog.
My inclination is that, if the poster doesn't provide a source, the post should be ignored.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 04:55 pm
I don't worry about Cheney; he's ready to kick the bucket.
0 Replies