Jerry Williams, Boston Talk Show Host, Dead at 79

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 08:11 am
Jerry Williams, dean of talk radio in Boston, dies at 79
By Associated Press, 4/29/03

Globe Magazine profile of Williams (June 16, 2002)
Williams drives against seat belts (Jan. 11, 1987)
Jerry Williams' uneven impact
(Op-Ed column, Dec. 13, 1986)
Williams writes Op-Ed column
(Oct. 28, 1986)
Talk show host attacks Williams
(May. 24, 1985)

BOSTON — Longtime Boston radio talk show host Jerry Williams, considered one of the pioneers of the talk radio format, died Tuesday.

Williams died early Tuesday at the age of 79 after a long illness, according to Boston's WRKO-AM, where he hosted a popular afternoon drivetime program in the 1980s.

Williams started his radio career in Bristol, Tenn., in 1946 but first made his mark in Boston at WBZ-AM, where he was on the air for eight years beginning in 1968.

In 1976, Williams joined WMCA/New York, and the following year he moved to WWDB/Philadelphia, where he became the first FM talk host, according to the Web site of the Radio Hall of Fame, where Williams was inducted in 1996. He founded the now-defunct National Association of Radio Talk Show Hosts.

Williams' cantankerous style made him popular among listeners but often infuriated politicians and public officials. He became an especially harsh critic of then-Gov. Michael Dukakis.

Williams also spearheaded a drive to repeal the state's mandatory seat belt law, arguing that the government should not intrude on people's individual freedoms.

Williams had been in semi-retirement for the past several years.

Boston Globe Online Edition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,923 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 12:54 pm
Thanks for the information and the memory jog. My personal background is that I grew up in the '50s-'70s Boston and was a big talk-show fan. He raised my social awareness as well as helped me carve out my own brand of political activism.

Williams helped to make Boston one of the brightest and most vibrant cities for talk radio in the country (outside of NYC). He was one amazing political gadfly and a ground-breaker by giving a voice and insight to political figures as well as to every-day people about the issues of the day.

As the articles states, he was literally one of the pioneers of talk radio format. Before his entry on the scene there were bland soiree-type of chat shows that broadcasted from hotel lobbies.

Williams was the first introduction to the world of politics for many of my contemporaries. He interviewed Malcolm-X before his death in the '60s. In Boston, I first heard him on the famous Top-40 station WMEX (1510 AM), one of Boston's best-known Top-40 calls at the time.

I understand that briefly Williams came out of retirement for 2 months in the beginning of 2000 to try his luck on weekends with the (newly revamped) WMEX/WBIX AM 1060 in Natick, with Upton Bell (live remote at Fanueil Hall), Gene Burns, Dorothy Clapprood et al. His health issues forced his (semi-)retirement finally. A stroke in April 2001 further weakened him, but not enough to keep him from trying a daily show on WROL (950 Boston) last December and even making a return to WRKO to do some weekend fill-in this past February.

Talk Show/AM Radio in Boston tangent follows:

His early '60s talk show aired in the evening after the teenage rock music show of Arnie Woo-Woo Ginsburg (a landmark hit-maker DJ in his own right). After Williams show, for late-night fun talk shows fans, the Larry Glick show followed at midnight or 1 AM. My recollection gets a little blurry here, 'cause they followed one another first on WBZ and then later on with WRKO in the mid/late70s too when it went to talk show format.

In one period in the '70s-'80s, the Boston AM talk show dial was at its resplendant and glorious peak with Gene Burns, Jerry Williams, and then later on in late '70s-'80s with Dr. Paul Brudnoy and Howie Carr.

So, in summary, they finally "did give him a DINNER"!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 05:25 am
Jerry Williams was a hit in Chicago, Boston and New York. He will be missed.
0 Replies