Uh oh: Cheney Drunk as Skunk?

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 01:55 pm
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_8184.shtml

Quote:
Secret Service agents say Cheney was drunk when he shot lawyer
By DOUG THOMPSON
Feb 22, 2006, 07:35

Secret Service agents guarding Vice President Dick Cheney when he shot Texas lawyer Harry Whittington on a hunting outing two weeks ago say Cheney was "clearly inebriated" at the time of the shooting.
Agents observed several members of the hunting party, including the Vice President, consuming alcohol before and during the hunting expedition, the report notes, and Cheney exhibited "visible signs" of impairment, including slurred speech and erratic actions.

According to those who have talked with the agents and others present at the outing, Cheney was drunk when he gunned down his friend and the day-and-a-half delay in allowing Texas law enforcement officials on the ranch where the shooting occurred gave all members of the hunting party time to sober up.

We talked with a number of administration officials who are privy to inside information on the Vice President's shooting "accident" and all admit Secret Service agents and others say they saw Cheney consume far more than the "one beer' he claimed he drank at lunch earlier that day.

"This was a South Texas hunt," says one White House aide. "Of course there was drinking. There's always drinking. Lots of it."

One agent at the scene has been placed on administrative leave and another requested reassignment this week. A memo reportedly written by one agent has been destroyed, sources said Wednesday afternoon.

Cheney has a long history of alcohol abuse, including two convictions of driving under the influence when he was younger. Doctors tell me that someone like Cheney, who is taking blood thinners because of his history of heart attacks, could get legally drunk now after consuming just one drink.

If Cheney was legally drunk at the time of the shooting, he could be guilty of a felony under Texas law and the shooting, ruled an accident by a compliant Kenedy County Sheriff, would be a prosecutable offense.

But we will never know for sure because the owners of the Armstrong Ranch, where the shooting occurred, barred the sheriff's department from the property on the day of the shooting and Kenedy County Sheriff Ramon Salinas III agreed to wait until the next day to send deputies in to talk to those involved.

Sheriff's Captain Charles Kirk says he went to the Armstrong Ranch immediately after the shooting was reported on Saturday, February 11 but both he and a game warden were not allowed on the 50,000-acre property. He called Salinas who told him to forget about it and return to the station.

"I told him don't worry about it. I'll make a call," Salinas said. The sheriff claims he called another deputy who moonlights at the Armstrong ranch, said he was told it was "just an accident" and made the decision to wait until Sunday to investigate.

"We've known these people for years. They are honest and wouldn't call us, telling us a lie," Salinas said.

Like all elected officials in Kenedy County, Salinas owes his job to the backing and financial support of Katherine Armstrong, owner of the ranch and the county's largest employer.

"The Armstrongs rule Kenedy County like a fiefdom," says a former employee.

Secret Service officials also took possession of all tests on Whittington's blood at the hospitals where he was treated for his wounds. When asked if a blood alcohol test had been performed on Whittington, the doctors who treated him at Christus Spohn Hospital Memorial in Corpus Christi or the hospital in Kingsville refused to answer. One admits privately he was ordered by the Secret Service to "never discuss the case with the press."

It's a sure bet that is a private doctor who treated the victim of Cheney's reckless and drunken actions can't talk to the public then any evidence that shows the Vice President drunk as a skunk will never see the light of day.

(Updated at 7:21 p.m. EST to reflect new information)

We all know what 'I had one beer earlier' usually means. The truth has a way of coming out. Will Cheney be investigated further?

Time will tell

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,981 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:00 pm
he will get away scott free... we all know it....
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:16 pm
blueveinedthrobber, I think Cheney is gonna resign. Not over the drunken hunt but through Patrick Fitzgerald's investigation. http://www.tompaine.com/articles/2005/10/12/beyond_miller_rove_and_cheney.php
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:35 pm
mmmmm... speculation as a harbinger of ill-will. It's amazing what you guys will believe after reading an internet article.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:37 pm
Yeah, next thing you know they'll be saying that Saddam had WMD.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:40 pm
Did you miss this at Newsmax, McG?

Quote:
How the Blogs Torpedoed Dan Rather
Dave Eberhart, NewsMax.com
Monday, Jan. 31, 2005
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Matthew Sheffield of RatherBiased.com told the capacity audience the critical story of how "Rathergate" emerged as a scandal:
"The fall of Dan Rather began on September 8, 2004 with a posting on a forum at FreeRepublic.com - discussing the documents presented on CBS that allegedly showed that President Bush had evaded the draft, used influence to join the Texas Air National Guard, and later used that same influence to whitewash his recordÂ…"

sometimes the bloggers pick up/put out interesting stuff - sometimes on one side, sometimes on the other

discounting them completely is silly

<I wouldn't miss my NewsMax updates for anything>
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:42 pm
I must have missed that.. but then again I think it has been a few weeks since my last visit there.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:45 pm
The angle that brought about this thread is the supposed Secret Service agents speaking out.

This is what will determine whether it is to be believed or not; if it is true, there will undoubtedly be follow-up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SService doesn't have to cover up crimes by those they are sworn to protect, do they?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:57 pm
Well, think about it. There would only be so many Secret Service agents that were with the VP that day. Do you think they would risk their jobs leaking a story like this?

Like no one would suspect them?

I also doubt Cheney would allow himself to be protected by agents not 100% loyal to him.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 03:11 pm
It's like I told my cousin about another relative of ours...
It's one thing to stand by your man. It's another thing to burn in hell with him.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 03:20 pm
CNN's curious about that Secret Service report

Quote:
But as generic as the incident was, there are some unanswered questions about that day. For instance, why hasn't the Secret Service released its report? And why hasn't the local sheriff released the text of the depositions his office conducted? There is also a small and geeky but persistent debate over whether Cheney might have been closer to Whittington than 30 yds., the figure in the sheriff's report.

link
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 03:31 pm
eoe wrote:
It's like I told my cousin about another relative of ours...
It's one thing to stand by your man. It's another thing to burn in hell with him.

That's perfect!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 04:13 pm
We're in the middle of a war and this piece of sh!t hasn't held a press conferance since 2002 and then we find him hunting drunk on heart meds after he shoots a guy in the face.

We are more pathetic then he is. We let them get away with it.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:24 pm
Of course, Cheney was drunk. The bigger question is there seems to be an obstruction of justice involved here, one in which, some Secret Service agents apparently participated in. I doubt very much that the one(s) who leaked the truth is/are in fear of their jobs.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 04:48 am
McGentrix wrote:
Well, think about it. There would only be so many Secret Service agents that were with the VP that day. Do you think they would risk their jobs leaking a story like this?

I also doubt Cheney would allow himself to be protected by agents not 100% loyal to him.

I think this presents a clear picture of just how deep your level of morality goes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:35 am
So.....if he was drunk, is there anything criminal in the US (it's obviously grossly irresponsible) about shooting while drunk?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:43 am
There used to be. But now money can put you above the law the rest can't afford "justice".

This is the new America. The old one got stolen while we were watching American Idol.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:48 am
Seriously.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:21 am
JTT wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I think this presents a clear picture of just how deep your level of morality goes.

I find it intreresting that in the midst of a thread accusing the vice president of immoral behavior based on a probably false report that you would pick my post as a morality guage.

I guess that presents a a clear picture of just how deep your level of blind hatred goes.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:02 am
Probably false report? This just goes to show how deep your level of denial of reality is. And, please, stop trying project your hatred on liberals. That's your gig.
0 Replies