Weird stories from the Bible. Sex, murder, betrayal and more

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 04:20 pm
Thanks for the assist, monger.

I posted that and then had to run to a birthday party for a 4 year old.

I didn't even check to see if it posted correctly.

I appreciate the correction.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 04:34 pm
maxsdadeo wrote:
Ok, monger.

I only wish that you had some deeply held core beliefs that I could besmirch in a quid pro quo.

But, apparently, you don't.

Oh, I suspect Monger does, Maxsdadeo - possibly they include not subjecting others' beliefs to foolish, amateur, reductionist pseudo-analytic psychobabble!

Oh - perhaps I am projecting - and that is one of MY values....
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 04:45 pm
Quote:
Oh, I suspect Monger does, Maxsdadeo - possibly they include not subjecting others' beliefs to foolish, amateur, reductionist pseudo-analytic psychobabble!

I see the bunny doesn't share monger's core beliefs.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:37 pm
maxsdadeo wrote:
I have always believed that the platypus and athiests were the only proof I needed that God DOES INDEED have a sense of humor.

What about dung beetles Christians and hairless butts?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:42 pm
ok - I've only read the messages on pages 6 and 7 - made me laugh - GOOD!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:54 pm
LOL!

Dung beetles are VERY important!

I believe they go straight to heaven, because of their self-sacrifice here on, and in, earth.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 06:56 pm
maxsdadeo- That picture is cute! If I was not so connected to my present avatar, I would use that one! Very Happy
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 12:36 am
The only other place for a dung-beetle to end up in is a rabbit warren. They deserve their diginity as living creatures to not end their days in such surroundings!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 01:19 am
Klingon excrement, of course, kills the saintly dung beetle in appalling agonies...
0 Replies

DungScooperDave

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:18 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Another one i like was when two women make a deal to eat each other's children. The deal was that they would cook one and eat it one day and then the next day cook and eat the other one.

They cooked one and ate him but then the mother who still had a son skipped out on the deal. I can only imagine how the other mother felt.

This, if i remember correctly, was during a time when an ass's head was sold for food among some other nasty items that would fetch a high price (if i remember correctly this was during a seige of a city).

i don't remember if Scenacarrib (sp) was the bad guy.

Actually, I think this is from Josephus's Jewish War, not the Bible.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:34 pm
Dung Scooper Dave,

It's in the Bible.

2 Kings 6:26-30, KJV wrote:
26 And as the king of Israel was passing by upon the wall, there cried a woman unto him, saying, Help, my lord, O king.
27 And he said, If the LORD do not help thee, whence shall I help thee? out of the barnfloor, or out of the winepress?
28 And the king said unto her, What aileth thee? And she answered, This woman said unto me, Give thy son, that we may eat him to day, and we will eat my son to morrow.
29 So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son.
30 And it came to pass, when the king heard the words of the woman, that he rent his clothes; and he passed by upon the wall, and the people looked, and, behold, he had sackcloth within upon his flesh.
0 Replies

DungScooperDave

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:35 pm
My apologies.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:38 pm
None needed, I haven't read the Bible in 10 years, it was interesting to look it up.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 05:28 pm
Dave, your thoughts on dung beetles, their final resting places and the alleged toxicity of Klingon waste, thanks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 01:15 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Another rape punishment story that I'm a bit confused about:

Two brothers found out that their sister was raped, I don't remember if they went and killed a bunch of people in the city or if they circumcised them all.

Anyone have the straight dope on this? It's still bothering me. I'm pretty sure it's two separate stories I'm combining here.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 01:26 pm
The story that put me off believing was the one where the prime minister, or vizier, or poobah, or whatever swears to God that if he can just win the battle, he will sacrifice the first living thing he sees after the battle. After the battle, the first living thing he sees is his daughter, who greets him. I just couldn't get over the image of this guy cutting his daughter's throat, letting the blood flow over the altar, then torching her body. It seemed to me that any god who considered this to be the way to be worshipped was not going to get my respect, or love, or worship. This was the first thing we learned in my first CCD class in in 6th Grade. I was outraged that the others were unmoved by this,and refused to go to CCD for weeks aftwerward (and it took a certain amount of apologizing from my mom to the teacher,whom I had called an evil cannibal loving witch (hey, I was 11, okay?) to get them to let me back in!).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 01:34 pm
Haven't seen this one but I don't think they would circumsize them unles they were mohels. I would guess they castrated them. Did you try Google?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 01:34 pm
Yup, the ole story of Jepthah. Even weirder is that his daughter agreed to it. She just wanted to have some time (2 months) to herself first.

Amazingly she didn't run away.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 01:35 pm
Nah, I didn't research it. I'm hoping Monger or someone knows off the top of his/her head.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 06:02 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Another rape punishment story that I'm a bit confused about:

Two brothers found out that their sister was raped, I don't remember if they went and killed a bunch of people in the city or if they circumcised them all.

Anyone have the straight dope on this? It's still bothering me. I'm pretty sure it's two separate stories I'm combining here.

Heeheehee, great story...Nah it be one. They first made all the men agree to be circumsized so the dude could marry their sister, but while the men were still recovering their strength from the whole ordeal the brothers went and slew 'em all. Men, women and children. But their father was vera pissed.
0 Replies