Mainstream Media Virtually Ignoring the Civil War in Iraq

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:38 pm
All hell is breaking lose, so I channel surfed the cable news channels to see the coverage. What I got instead were stories about the dead blonde chick and re-cycling doggie-do!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 503 • Replies: 7
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 07:47 am
I can't believe the crap that passes for news these days.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 08:22 am
Do people even know about this ?

Quote:
7 U.S. Soldiers Killed in Iraq

BAGHDAD, IRAQ-February 23, 2006 - A second bombing in Iraq has raised the total of Americans killed yesterday to seven.
A military statement says three members of the Third Heavy Brigade Combat Team of the Fourth Infantry Division died when their vehicle hit a roadside bomb. That blast was near Balad, about 50 miles north of Baghdad.

The military says another four soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division's First Brigade Combat Team died on patral about 150 miles north of Baghdad. Their vehicle also hit a roadside bombe.

More than 130 people are reported to have been killed in sectarian violence

Aljazeera also wrote of three journalists killed trying to cover Sammara.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 09:23 am
Start reading and stop channel surfing. The New York Times has had in-depth page one stories on the sectarian violence, as opposed to the usual seventeen carbombs a day, for the past week.

Slate's Today's Papers, which is a roundup of the lead stories of the major newspapers of the USA and usually contains some good insight on the temperature of a current news story, reports that every one of the majors lead with
the out of control riots AND reported on the deaths of the seven American GIs killed in the two roadside bomb incidents.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but a thousand words can recreate the whole picture.

Joe(
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 09:29 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Start reading and stop channel surfing. The New York Times has had in-depth page one stories on the sectarian violence, as opposed to the usual seventeen carbombs a day, for the past week.

Slate's Today's Papers, which is a roundup of the lead stories of the major newspapers of the USA and usually contains some good insight on the temperature of a current news story, reports that every one of the majors lead with
the out of control riots AND reported on the deaths of the seven American GIs killed in the two roadside bomb incidents.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but a thousand words can recreate the whole picture.

Joe(

Joe, of course, I do get my news from reading. That is how I know about what is going on in the first place. I like watching the cable news (Olbermann is great!) for entertainment and video. I didn't expect to see much but I was shocked how underplayed this dire situation was.

But thanks for that link. I bookmarked it.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:39 am
New York Times, with same facts, changes Iraq conflict from 'civil war' to having 'endangered future'

The New York Times declared on its website early Friday in a headline that the U.S. ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad, had warned to U.S. was on the "precipice of full-scale civil war." Their headline? "U.S. Envoy in Baghdad Says Iraq Is on Brink of Civil War."

Within an hour and without explanation, the Times yanked the headline in favor of "U.S. Envoy Says Sectarian Violence Threatens Iraq's Future."

Originally, their lead paragraph had read: "The American ambassador to Iraq said Friday that the country was on the precipice of full-scale civil war, and that Iraqi leaders would have to come together and compromise if they wanted to save their homeland."

-----
I hear a Mockingbird sing.

The Subversion Of The Free Press By The CIA ?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:04 pm
Did the orginal story quote Khalilzad? No.

Was that 'brink of civil war' imaginative headline writing which was later hauled back back another editor. yes.

happens all the time.

Does the headline reflect the facts of the story?
Does the story report the facts of the events?

yes. yes.

Joe
0 Replies

Akaya

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:24 pm
What is happening with Iran re: their Revolutionary Guard troop movement in southern Iraq?
0 Replies