Boston Legal

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:50 pm
I discovered this show channel surfing one night.

I love it! The idea of addressing serious issues with a well known cast and then poking fun at the images of the actors is a hoot, as well as a lot to chew on.

I know lots of women of a certain age who love it.

How does it play across the age spectrum?

WHo else loves it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,196 • Replies: 22
No top replies

firefly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 02:10 am
Funny you should mention it. Very Happy

I watched this program for the first time this week. I thought it was a hoot! Great fun to watch.

I definitely plan on watching it again, just to see if the humor holds up.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 05:13 pm
I just saw it recently myself - probably saw 3 shows so far... love Wm Shatner Smile and Candace Bergen.... did you see the epi where the one lawyer (the OCD guy) wants to be a full partner, is denied, then goes a little berserk? Very good.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:00 pm
I haven't been neglecting this thread: I had computer access problems.

Loved the episode in which the British actor who is currently playing Sherlock Holmes (who insightfully said we are fascinated with Holmes because he is both a criminal and a dectective) played an attorney whose last name is Holmes.

Shattner is unbelievable. So over the top. Fun to watch.

I liked James Spader's speech on the credit industry and thought the episode involving Candace Bergen's character with former model Marlborogh man turned actor from Magnum PI was a shot in the arm: here were two people -- over 50 -- who were attractive and sexy. Yeah!
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:07 pm
Hi all: I love this show! Never was a fan of the original show, "The Practice" which it was spun off from. Those legal drama shows aren't for me--but this is over the top, making fun of everything and hitting it right on the head. Plus the exterior shots are fun too. They actually use shots of Boston courthouses plus the Boston Public Library main branch in Copley--posing as a courthouse. I have a feeling William Shatner is loosely based on or a combination including an infamous local attorney I have had the misfortune to speak to on the phone. A coworker of mine met him, and after much discussion she thinks it might be true, but she doesn't watch the show, this is only from my descriptions. I have no idea of my theory is true, but the "Denny Crane" character does crack me up. The James Spader character is a bit scary at times, but is so much fun to watch.

All the supporting characters really ring true and they are so wonderful. There were a lot of cast changes but the second season looks like they hitting a stride, hopefully they can keep the leads and keep going. I've already read editorials on the wires though criticizing the show for taking aim at conservatives and preaching. I don't deny that the show is using itself as a bit of a soap box, but it is so cheeky it's great! PS full disclosure here, I work as a paralegal not a firm though in public service Smile
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 11:24 pm
Love the show. It does hit on everybody. Best thing about it is that you find yourself liking these people despite their flaws. Spader's character is smug sleaze to the nth power, but finds it in his heart to stick up for the powerless repeatedly. Shatner's character is conservative arrogance personified, yet you have to cheer him every inch of the way as he keeps his position on top despite advancing Alzheimer's.

I don't know how long David Kelley can keep the magic touch-these anti hero characters are quirky-but it sure looks like a fun ride.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 05:15 pm
I love the way the cast constantly reminds you that this is television. On the last show of the season last week, Shatner's Crane asked Bergen's Schmidt for a kiss, "because its the finale."

Also, when the actor who is currently playing Sherlock Holmes guested, his character's last name was Holmes. Very funny.

EdithDoll -- I wonder if the lawyer you think Denny Crane is based on is my former brother-in-law. Tee-hee. Shatner's Crane is 70-something and so is my brother-out-law.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 05:34 pm
Guessing
Hi Plainoldme: I don't know it could be the same person, but the attorney I was musing about -- he's a powerful guy (not that I agree with his methods or his cases, etc.) so I'm keeping it all silent guessing.

On another note, David E. Kelley apparently created a character after an attorney I worked with formerly on "LA Law." I didn't know because I didn't watch "LA Law" and he was a very down to earth guy, he never boasted about it, or mentioned knowing Mr. Kelley, etc. Sadly I learned it through his obituary.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 04:07 pm
edithdoll -- That is sad, to have learned about the link to the character through the man's obit.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 08:21 pm
Sorry
Hi Plainoldme: Able2know has taken away my PM ability, I guess because I've been away for so long. So that's why I did not answer you directly that way.

Just FYI, no for me it's not the person you mentioned in your PM that I was thinking of as a inspiration for Denny Crane--although yes--yes he's quite famous and well known.

I was thinking of the attorney who defended the South Boston Parade organizers and successfully won the ban on the gay Irish groups from marching in the parade, participating, etc. (I did not interact with him on that particular case, but another case that was also in the press).
Again, I should mention it's a very very innocent hypotheis on my part, and I have no idea.

Yes it was very sad to read that obit because he died so suddenly, I also had no idea he played a prof. sport in Europe and had written a global eco book with his wife. He was never a bragging type, very down to earth, and I only did one major project for him when I first started at that div., then didn't work with him again (because he was a separate unit), but once when our chief did something very unfair to me on a Div. project--he was the one who sort of by accident had to break the bad news to me.

Soon after I made plans to depart the div. Before I left on my transfer, I did updates for everyone on past projects, etc., and I went over leaving him the files I had organized for him, and I still have those emails from him including his thank you--saved in that Div. folder. I can't delete them.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:02 am
edithdoll -- I had hoped the person I had in mind was the model for Denny Crane, although I did have a hard time understanding how he could have been. Both the character and the real man are loudmouths, but the similiarity ends there.

Twice in my life, I skipped having lunch with friends -- two different friends -- who I never saw again. One died in his sleep that night and, the next time I heard of the other, it was through reading a memorial editorial in the Detroit Free Press (the man had been broken by Senator McCarthy and never recovered). I always regretted being so selfish and shallow.

I adored the first man -- a tinsmith who worked at the Museum where I was a docent -- but wanted to eat with some friends rather than a person of my grandfather's age. The second man was a good friend, but, sometimes, his depression got to me. I just wish I had those two lunches.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:04 pm
I suppose we have drifted off the subject, but I just want to say--that is very difficult plainoldme--I do understand how it can be, per similar situations, I haven't been in myself but have affected close family members.

In my case, I wasn't close friends with him, but he did come to my good-bye lunch which was awkward and terrible since I didn't leave under the greatest of terms, transfering back to my old div., and I appreciated his kindness to me on the flap. Still I was shocked when my friend/office manager came in and told me the news. She didn't mean to blunt, and it was sort of like a Boston Legal moment -- bizarre montage included. He was only in his 40's, so the first thing I asked her was if he'd been in a car accident.

My last friend from that div. also left the office because she was unhappy there (actually she went out worse than I did), so I called and left her a mess. on her cell--for her to me because she had a call center job then, and I didn't want her to get a blunt notification like I did. When she called me back, she already knew. A secretary there had called and left the mess. I did not want to leave her--but they were all in shock--no one in really in their right mind. Even worse it was right before the holidays.

It was difficult for me. With a new loc. and security I couldn't just drop into see them in the div., and without the buffer of a friend in that div. it was awkward. I wasn't included in what the div. did for the family. A group of his friends outside work set up a fund for his children--and opened it up to our office--so I participated in that, and also sent individual condolences to his family. It's still hard when I see staff from there--it's just sort of awkward--and would not make good TV.

As far as the show goes--I think the characters are composites even if inspired by one individual--for more dimensions, etc.
That's probably why I enjoy the show so much--it's just so over the top.
William Shatner really does hit a certain type right over the head though.
I do wish he'd stop those pi atty commericals though.
Keep that Hollywood and real life boundary (sigh).

I love Betty White's character--how she barged into the staff meeting with cookies--then when reprimanded--she insulted the blonde attorney's appearance (that actress left and there's a new character now). When chided by her, she just insulted her again, without an ounce of fear. So would never happen--gleefully fun to watch though.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:54 am
edith -- THe characters are definitely composites and they also include an element of the reputation of the actors playing them. William Shatner is no slouch in the ego dept.

The interesting thing about Boston lawyers is that they don't know each other as well as Detroit lawyers did when I worked for a legal paper there.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 12:37 am
I've seen speculation several times in the press that the Denny Crain character was loosely based on F. Lee Bailey.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:27 am
Or, Flea Bailey as he is known.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:00 pm
Hmm could be, although isn't he disbarred now?
I guess that doesn't really matter in Hollywood though
: )
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 03:59 pm
Is Flea still alive?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 09:01 pm
Apparently. And he gets $12,500 per speaking appearance.
Speaking fee.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 10:33 am
Interesting. So, senior citizens can earn a living!
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 06:29 pm
I guess so. Who knows--perhaps he'll even guest on BL.
You never know!
: )
0 Replies