FINALLY!!! A NATIONAL PLAN TO REFORM THE ELECTRAL COLLEGE

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:02 pm
Okie,

California by itself is the worlds fifth largest economy. Check it out if you don't believe me. The truth is that we don't really need you. Matter of fact, if we had been on our own, the utility companies like Enron, Duke, and the others who wre screwing us with the blessings of the Bush Administration would have not of had the opportunity. What we SHOULD have done is shut down the use of our ports for the rest of the Western U.S. which would have put the U.S. in a real hot spot.

First order of the day ... get rid of Arnie ... then we can start working on the rest!!

Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:04 pm
AliceInWonderland wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

The fact is ... WE are paying the nations bills ... not they! WE represent a much larger portion of the nation ... not they! If they want a heavier weight in what goes on, get more people in the state!!

Personally, I'm tired of paying higher taxes for these people to have a more important vote than I have!!

Anon

Now, that's true, to a point. But let's be very clear here. Those small population states own less than 50% of their own land. The land is owned by YOU. We can't collect taxes, sell, make money etc from most of the land within the borders of our states. If we are to have no compensation for that, then give us our damn land back.

As to BBB, I read the proposal, understand clearly what it says, and continue to disagree with it wholeheartedly. You assertion that just because we disagree and perhaps argue points you are not prepared to contend with is because we don't understand you post is condescending in the extreme. I get it; I just don't like the proposal - for all of the reasons outlined in previous posts.

Large chunks of California are set aside as well ... quit whining! Your vote shouldn't be worth any more than mine is!

Anon
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:10 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Okie,

California by itself is the worlds fifth largest economy. Check it out if you don't believe me. The truth is that we don't really need you. Matter of fact, if we had been on our own, the utility companies like Enron, Duke, and the others who wre screwing us with the blessings of the Bush Administration would have not of had the opportunity. What we SHOULD have done is shut down the use of our ports for the rest of the Western U.S. which would have put the U.S. in a real hot spot.

First order of the day ... get rid of Arnie ... then we can start working on the rest!!

Anon

I believe you. California is unbelievable in terms of what is there and what it produces. You have 50 some electoral votes versus a measly 3 for Wyoming. And look at the size of Wyoming, all of its national parks, wilderness, and public lands to manage. The people that live there are the ones that actually know much about it, and yet they get a measly 3 electoral votes. Believe me, some of the rest of the states wouldn't mind either if the left coast dropped into the ocean for various and sundry reasons. Northern California would also like to become a separate state from southern California too. Maybe you need to look at blaming the beloved previous Democratic governor of California for some of your problems as well? Just a thought. I am a Republican, but I admit to mixed feelings over Arnold. I am not a huge fan of his.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:32 pm
Damn Okie,

I was searching around and I lost a link just for you people who think your votes are so much more important than ours!

I'll have to find it again ...something about the California portion of this last War bill being between 40-50 Billion dollars ... we've decided to send it to you and let you pay it instead!!

Anon
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:41 pm
Its not that the people's votes are more important than others. That is not the argument at all. You miss the point. The point is that states desire to have a voice in a collective manner. You have the same thing in California. A Republican living in California might as well stay at home and save his vote, at least in the last few elections for president. As I stated earlier, this is the United States of America. States should still matter.

By the way, I have no desire to help pay for all the social security, medicaid, medicare, and welfare for the citizens of California either. Pay it yourself. And the next time a terrorist destroys something in California, fix it yourself.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:49 pm
okie wrote:

By the way, I have no desire to help pay for all the social security, medicaid, medicare, and welfare for the citizens of California either. Pay it yourself. And the next time a terrorist destroys something in California, fix it yourself.

You already DON"T pay for those things ...that's quite the point, we're paying the way for you!!

Anon
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:58 pm
Pardon me, but I pay plenty of taxes, and I am sure there are millions in California that don't. The way I see it, I'm helping pay along with all of you Californians that are as well.

But hey, if you want to declare independence, I think I'm for it. You would not get much argument from me on it. Pay for your own military and the whole ball of wax.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:13 pm
okie wrote:
Pardon me, but I pay plenty of taxes, and I am sure there are millions in California that don't. The way I see it, I'm helping pay along with all of you Californians that are as well.

But hey, if you want to declare independence, I think I'm for it. You would not get much argument from me on it. Pay for your own military and the whole ball of wax.

Here ya go Okie,
Quote:

Local costs of war

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/02/23/MNG7UHDAT41.DTL

If Congress approves President Bush's latest spending request to fight the war in Iraq, total costs will hit $315.8 billion. A new study from the National Priorities Project says that translates into a $40.6 billion cost for the people of California and gives this breakdown for selected Bay Area cities, weighted by population and income.

Dollars in millions

Vallejo 147.5 million

Tracy 90.1

Tiburon 23.3

South San Francisco 94.5

Sausalito 16.2

Santa Rosa 189.9

Santa Clara 179.5

San Rafael 86.4

San Bruno 63

San Anselmo 22.3

Richmond 110.8

Palo Alto 113.8

Novato 76.3

Napa 90.1

Mountain View 123.9

Mill Valley 31.2

Martinez 57.1

Larkspur 20.2

Hayward 181

Fremont 393.4

Fairfax 10.8

Daly City 163.1

Corte Madera 18.4

Campbell 64.7

Belvedere 7

Benicia 45.9

Berkeley 115.4

Oakland 404.1

San Jose 1.6 billion

San Francisco $1.1 billion

I'll bet San Francisco pays more than your entire pitiful state Smile

Anon
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 08:47 am
BBB
Chapter 6 of the proposal to eliminate the winner-take-all state laws explains the process:

http://www.every-vote-equal.com/pdf/EVE-CH-6-Ed1-Pr2-2006-2-14.pdf

The proposal does NOT intend to eliminate the Electoral College and it's process, just the winner-take-all laws state by state if approved by each state. If you vote for candidate A, it will be counted for candidate A. In winner-take-all states, your vote for candidate A would be awarded to candidate B if the majority of voters in your state voted for candidate B. If you live in a candidate A majority red state, why should your vote not count because you support blue candidate B? You are disenfranchised!

If you support third parties, such as Libertarian or Green parties, etc. your vote will not be counted and will awarded to the candidate receiving the majority of votes in your state. Again, you are disenfranchised.

BBB
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 11:07 am
No, you were not disenfranchised. You got to vote, that was not denied to you. Your candidate lost. got less votes than the other guy. But by your own admission, you voted. You can only be disenfranchised if you are denied the OPPORTUNITY to vote. It has nothing to do with voting for candidate that gets less votes than the other candidate.
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 12:55 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Okie,

Anon

Interesting. You do realize, of course, that during the whole rolling blackout problem, you had 3 plants sitting idle because of California law, no-one else. It was California that trippled my utility bills from 3 states away. Everything you do affects the rest of the country. This notion of yours that you don't need the rural areas is ridiculous. The same goes for the rural states that think they don't need the coastal states. Such venom. Play nice, children!
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 01:13 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:

California by itself is the worlds fifth largest economy. The truth is that we don't really need you.

This is one of the very reasons I hold the electorial college so dear.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 09:30 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

California by itself is the worlds fifth largest economy. The truth is that we don't really need you.

Agreed!! Anon won the argument for us here against his own position.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:08 pm
AliceInWonderland wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
Okie,

Anon

Interesting. You do realize, of course, that during the whole rolling blackout problem, you had 3 plants sitting idle because of California law, no-one else. It was California that trippled my utility bills from 3 states away. Everything you do affects the rest of the country. This notion of yours that you don't need the rural areas is ridiculous. The same goes for the rural states that think they don't need the coastal states. Such venom. Play nice, children!

People like Enron raised your rates through manipulation ... we didn't. Also, our plants were closed "for maintenance" by people like Enron ... when they didn't need to be, to manipulate prices and cause blackouts that didn't need to happen!! Enron is paying the price for that little fun they had right up to this very day!!

Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:12 pm
okie wrote:
2PacksAday wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

Agreed!! Anon won the argument for us here against his own position.

Yes, yet you think you're so valuable that your vote should be of greater value than ours!

Anon
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:16 pm
Wrong again. Just equal value, by state.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:26 pm
okie wrote:
Wrong again. Just equal value, by state.

Well. it works out that you're parasites ... We pay your way, and your vote counts more. That's just the way it is! Nothing to be done about it because it isn't going to change!

Anon
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:29 am
Well, since you don't listen to reason, I guess there's nothing left but to feed your delusion. Perhaps us small states with all of our huge powers will vote ourselves a big fat check from California. :wink:
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:51 am
AliceInWonderland wrote:
Well, since you don't listen to reason, I guess there's nothing left but to feed your delusion. Perhaps us small states with all of our huge powers will vote ourselves a big fat check from California. :wink:

You already have ... like Alaska! Those "rugged individualists" up there (red state - OF COURSE) get $2. back for every $1. they send to WDC. All those self-righteous "heartland states- (MORE RED STATES) ARE SUCKING UP $200 Billion of Farm Welfare payments over the next ten years. Look it up, goodness knows you think you're smart enough!! So, yea, you boys are sucking at the national teat real hard, which of course, WE are paying!!

Reason to you, is that you get a larger piece of the pie for paying less than we do ... I'm sure that makes sense .. to you!!

Alice in Wonderland suits you well ...

Anon
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:58 am
BBB
tommrr wrote:
No, you were not disenfranchised. You got to vote, that was not denied to you. Your candidate lost. got less votes than the other guy. But by your own admission, you voted. You can only be disenfranchised if you are denied the OPPORTUNITY to vote. It has nothing to do with voting for candidate that gets less votes than the other candidate.

I disagree. A vote is not a vote until it is counted. If your vote is not awarded to the candidate for whom you voted, you are disenfranchised.

In effect, your vote is stolen from you and awarded to the candidate you opposed. It's no different than voter fraud. What is the difference of someone fraudently changing your ballot vote after it is in the ballot box, but not yet counted, and the winner-take-all laws changing your vote to that of your opponent?

BBB
0 Replies