Invited to stand-up comedian show with bosses - need advice!

sakhi

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 10:31 pm
I work for an American software company in India. I've recently been promoted as team lead . A few people from the US office (senior directors, managers) are here on a visit. I (along with other managers and leads) have been invited to attend a meeting, followed by a stand-up comedian's show (includes cocktal and dinner). Now, a meeting followed by cocktails and dinner is great but I'm not sure what this stand-comedian;s show will be like. I've never been to one before. The comedian's name is Phil Nicol.

What do you all think? I love laughing (at myself too) but I'm fairly shy among strangers and acquaintances. Someone told me that this particular comedian's show is full of sexual innuendo targeted at the audience. Should I go? If I do what do you suggest I wear? Helpppp!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,485 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 10:56 pm
Phil Nichol

Corky And The Juice Pigs
Fan site
Review
This Canadian-raised powerhouse has more energy that Sizewell B - and appears just as likely to go into meltdown.

Ranting, raving and screaming, he demands the audience's attention, if for no other reason than they fear for his sanity. Then releases the tension with a step back from the brink, and the inevitable laugh of relief results.

He's a master of the comedy of passion, his relentless, but finely-tuned, performance wearing down any resistance. He's not afraid to go with the flow, either, and spontaneously launch off into uncharted territory if that's where the laughs are.

His in-your-face act is one for which the cliche 'anything could happen' genuinely applies - but thankfully his comic judgement is seldom wrong, making his hilarious act rarely less than outstanding.

This top-flight comic was once a member of musical trio Corky And The Juice Pigs, and their song Only Gay Eskimo is his My Way, the standard that fans demand be sung at every performance. And what a belter it is, too.

He truly is an exciting presence on the comedy scene, and a treasure to be enjoyed by all.

September 2003

roger

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 10:57 pm
India? Well, I won't guess on what to wear. It may sound kind of sucky, but keep an eye on the boss. Try to laugh when he laughs. Bosses are happiest when with people that talk and dress about like themselves.

Sorry for sounding cynical, but that's about how it is.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:17 pm
I'm female, Roger...so I cant really dress exactly like my boss...

I was planning to wear a skit suit to the meeting (i have a presentation) at the meeting and the meeting's pretty formal. Would that be ok for this show too?

Lash I read precisely the same review but I'm worried about him targeting the audience (it's going to be a small audience of about 30 and just 4 women i guess). Though i'm confident and comfortable in most surroundings - i wouldnt be happy with bawdy jokes targeted at meeeee (i'm the only young woman in this grp)...am i getting unnecessarliy worried????
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:38 pm
I make the guess that anything you wear for the presentation will be okay.

Oh, well maybe I thought your boss was a chick, too.

Yes. It is never necessary to worry about something you have no control over.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:46 pm
I read this review and I'm worried:

"Phil Nichol is a loud, aggressive and downright nasty comedian. Bursting onto the stage to the Rocky theme tune he is as short as Sylvester Stallone with gags that pack a harder punch. Nichol's loud aggressive comedy means no one is safe with the audience experiencing sexual advances, personal abuse and a risk of drowning from the vast quantity of sweat pouring from the Canadian's every pore.... "

I can attend the meeting and skip the show and hide behind some silly white lies...such as "i need to be at home by 8 PM"...Can someone please tell me what kind of a comedian he is...are there going to be bawdy jokes...*biting my cuticles and waiting*.....
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:37 am
Nichol's loud aggressive comedy means no one is safe with the audience experiencing sexual advances, personal abuse

Frankly, I wouldn't want to go.

Personal abuse re sexual behavior ranks pretty low on my fun meter. I don't enjoy seeing other people deal with it, either.

One of four women in the place....? I wouldn't like the odds that he would go up my skirt metaphorically, before the night was over.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:29 am
If you go, you might dress down a bit by taking off the jacket. The more 'uptight' you look, the more likely you are to be a target. If you can easily skip it, then I would do so.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:30 pm
Sakhi--

I'm afraid the evening with the raunchy "comedian" is a command performance.

I'd be dreading 50-fun-filled minutes with this creep, too.

Opt for serenity. Don't giggle girlishly. Don't be obviously offended. When the commedian leaves the stage, ask the man next to you, "Is this typical of Western Humor? I have never seen anything like it. Does he appear in Western Night Clubs?"

Carry on as though Nichol is a fascinating cultural phenomenon and as though your dinner partner/partners are marvelous sources of wisdom about all things sophisticated and western.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:38 pm
Hmm, a tough call. It may be uncomfortable, but it sounds like your bosses may be expecting you to go and your not going can be viewed like you don't want to be a part of the team or that you are too conservative or whatnot...you never know. I guess, if it were me, i'd go, curse the whole thing under my breath, tried to sit in the back somewhere and do my best to become invisible. it might be unpleasant, but you will live... depends also on how your relations with the bosses is, how longterm and important your current job is to you, etc... is there any boss above you to whom you could talk to about how uncomfortable this is? i can't blame you, it seems a very odd choice for a company evening entertainment. i wouldn't want to go either.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:54 pm
Ooh, I had a similar experience once - a veeery long time ago.

A company karaoke night-out. There happened to be only two women with 20 men on this particular occasion. Another group of people at the club were razzing us women about being outnumbered, but we ignored their taunts and comments. It wasn't until one guy pointed at me and made the comment that in order to reach the top I'd have to sleep with all these bosses. He happened to yell it out just as one of my coworkers finished singing his song and it echoed through the room. Everyone seemed to be watching my face for my reaction. I was quite young and shy at the time but I shocked myself by responding "what makes you think I'M not the boss here and these men report to me?"

I looked at my surprised boss who was staring at me until he lifted his pint and cheered, asking me if he could take the next day off as he intended to have a hangover.

The entire room burst out laughing and my male co-workers treatment of me improved dramatically from then on.

Let's say this comedian puts you on the spot - a woman surrounded by men - and makes some crude comment about you or is being obnoxiously cruel to you, smile, even wink at some of your co-workers (so they know you are joking) and ask him loudly "do you kiss your Mom with that mouth?"

Your co-workers will get a kick out of you taking part in the comedy but also being no pushover.

It's okay to be gently teased and laugh along with the crowd but to be assaulted by anyone, even in the vein of comedy, can make you feel disrespected.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:55 pm
I think the guy sounds funny. I love seeing people squirm. I'll go in your place if you want!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:56 pm
I wouldn't say as much to anyone I worked with,...but this seems to border on sexual harrassment---being asked to attend something of this nature related to work.

It's inappropriate. You feel as if your job success depends on attending. That's wrong.

I wish you well.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:59 pm
My post crossed with Heeven and kicky's.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:02 pm
I'm in agreement with Noddy, and Noddy always knows best.

Since you are new in the position and are still "learning the ropes" I would in this case say you are obligated to go. Let me tell you, this is from someone who avoids work festivities at all costs, they totally stress me out and I don't find them enjoyable at all. I've been here a long time, so I go to some, but not most.

Sometimes though, you just have to bite the bullet. Did you say the show was 50 minutes? Well, I'd just smile/laugh enough to get by without sticking out, and every so often think to myselfÂ….only 45 more minutes, only 30 more minutes, only 25 more minutes. The time will go by, and you'll have made your presence known as far as the company is concerned.

Dress? Professional and modest. Like has been said, I'd wear the suit you had on from the meeting, but perhaps take off the jacket at the club.

If you are offended by the material, try to turn inwards to your own peaceful thoughts, while at the same time showing outward signs of some enjoyment.

If he's that raunchy, some of the men, seeing your discomfort will understand this isn't easy for you, but will respect you are making an effort by being there.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:20 pm
i agree with Lash that it is inappropriate of the company to have this type of a show for a evening entertainment. But, if you shrug and face it as a necessary evil, it might be easier. Sort of give up before hand - there's not much you can do about it, other than feel as secure about yourself as possible. as somebody else already said here: don't worry too much about something you have no control over.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:43 pm
Yeah, and I would clarify--if you don't go, it would have to be a great excuse.

If they knew you were avoiding it because of sexual discomfort, you may incur a worse buzz at the office, than if you HAD been the fifty minute spectacle...

Hateful position to be put in, IMO.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:55 pm
Lash, I was thinking about what you said about sexual harrassment.

Yes, it's true, it does border on it..

then, not as a cop out, I'm thinking, until you test the waters of what it feels like in this new postion, lay low.

yeah, easy for me to say.

The more I think of it though, whose bright idea was it to pick a bawdy comedian? That's just dumb. We're not talking about a corner auto mechanics....this is a large (i'm supposing) software company)

Durrrrr....
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 03:06 pm
Also the fact that it is American executives coming to India, they should have been mindful of the cultural differences between what Americans find entertaining and what is polite in India.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 03:14 pm
hmmmmmm hmmmmmmm.
0 Replies