Control Freak or just Clueless?

DrewDad

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:55 am
You don't get to meet with your supervisor's boss? You're working for morons.

You can:
a) Phone it in. Keep your head down, cover your ass, do enough so you don't get fired.
b) Butt heads with this guy over every little issue.
c) Set an example of how to communicate effectively and hope he takes the hint.

Personally, I'd go for c. Set up a distribution list like Jespah suggested, then use it for communicating with your team. Copy the boss, and make sure to occasionally use the distribution list to reply to a message from your boss.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:29 am
Already did. We have a team email group for each client. I set-up and organized/took the lead on the last client update meeting. I pretty much took it into my own hands, kept mgr in the loop on everything but wouldn't let him take it over. We had the meeting. Went off without a hitch. And the client said, at the end of the meeting, "this is how we want our meetings handled in the future, put Heeven in charge of them from now on". Everyone smiles and happy yada yada yada. Next week, I am again excluded from a client meeting and client calls me to find out why I didn't organize it/wasn't there. Sigh! I go to mgr and tell them what client says - apologies again, so on and so forth. Nothing changes. He will not use the team email. He will not keep me in the loop. All team are tired of him right now.

Oh and BTW, managers manager was at the meeting also - to see how it went - told me he had talked to this mgr and told him to hand-off responsibility to me. He was pleased with how the meeting went. I really don't want to have to go back to him AGAIN, I am just so tired of this.

I am thinking of asking that I be removed from this particular managers clients and transfer to other managers who I know I can work with.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:28 pm
If that's an option, it sounds like a good one.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:51 am
Sometimes the escape hatch is the only option. Clearly, this guy not only fails to listen to you, he also fails to listen to his own boss.
0 Replies