Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:07 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 754 • Replies: 15
No top replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:20 pm
what bemuses me is who would America attack Iran with???
With most of their soldiers in Iraq, what are they going to do-take a couple of months break from Iraq to pop over and invade Iran?...and who would ally with America?..not many if any I would guess.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 04:13 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
With most of their soldiers in Iraq, what are they going to do-take a couple of months break from Iraq to pop over and invade Iran?...and who would ally with America?..not many if any I would guess.

We wouldn't invade with ground troops Kiwi, we would invade their airspace with our planes and knock flat every building that could have a use in making such weapons... we'd then hit em again... and for good measure, we'd bounce the rubble.

The one thing we have plenty of is airpower.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 06:22 pm
And in response, Iran wouldn't dare invade Iraq with ground forces.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:53 pm
Fedral wrote:
KiwiChic wrote:

We wouldn't invade with ground troops Kiwi, we would invade their airspace with our planes and knock flat every building that could have a use in making such weapons... we'd then hit em again... and for good measure, we'd bounce the rubble.

Invade seems to be the operative word here.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:02 am
Quote:

But Iran has her oil.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:54 am
A. "most" of our soldiers aren't in Iraq.
B. Fedral is correct about our Air Superiority and the likelihood of that being the tactic used.
C. Most of the civilized world does appear to be on the same page in being prepared to stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons (no one wants the Supreme Leader to become Dear Leader).
D. Freeduck, Iranian Ground forces could slip into Iraq in guerilla groups (like many already have) to some effect, but that's it. If they mounted any conventional type of ground war-fare; we'd mow them down like grass. Their median age is still FUBAR from trying to take on Iraq that way. No way they'd be dumb enough to try that against our forces.
E. There's still plenty of hope that the Russian's (who would never ally themselves with Iran in a war against the U.S. directly) will still be able to talk to some stone-cold reality into their heads. This isn't a fight they can win.

If they truly only desire Civilian Power, there is no reason whatsoever to resist the Russian plan.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 05:20 am
That's what Bush thought about Iraq. Have a little "shock and awe" and everyone will give up.

Iran will stop the flow of its oil. Russia and China won't be happy about that.

The Iranian nuclear sites have Russian/Chinese advisors and technicians working there. To attack Iran would also mean to declare war on Russia/China.

Quote:
The fact that the plant is being built under International Atomic Energy Agency safeguards has not eased concerns in the West. About 3,000 Russian personnel are already working at the Bushehr plant, and the large movement of equipment and technicians between Russia and Iran is the perfect cover for covert weapons-related assistance or smuggling, say international non-proliferation agencies.
http://npc.sarov.ru/english/digest/82002/section4p1.html

Quote:
Iran's unconventional weapons and tactics -- rather than its conventional military -- that would pose the greatest threat, according to the intelligence officials.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/middleeast/articles/2006/02/12/iran_is_prepared_to_retaliate_experts_warn/

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Reuters_Photo/2006/02/13/1139829359_9517.jpg

OCCOM BILL, your idea about "Ok Iran you sit back and we'll bomb you"
wont work.

These people are not scared of death, as we have seen in Iraq.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:42 am
Russia, China Prepare
For Joint War Games
MosNews.com
8-2-5 ****Article from 2002, War games already passed -Amigo**

Nearly 10,000 troops from Russia and China will participate in the first joint military exercises between the two countries scheduled for August 18-25, the Xinhua news agency reported on Tuesday.

The exercises, dubbed "Peace Mission 2005" and involving army, navy, air force, marine, airborne and logistics units, will be held in Vladivostok in Russia's Far East, and in the coastal Chinese province of Shandong and nearby waters, it said.

"The exercises are not aimed at a third party or concerned with the interests of any third country," the Chinese defense ministry said in a statement.

Relations between China and Russia, formerly the Soviet Union, were strained by decades of mistrust during the Cold War, but the two nuclear powers have found much common ground in recent years and the military relationship has been blossoming, Reuters points out.

Both are leading members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, which in July called for U.S.-led troops to fix a date to pull out of bases in Central Asia. Russia is also a major supplier of weapons to China.

China and Russia have invited the defense ministers from other members of the organization and observer states to watch the joint exercises.

The point of the drills was "to deepen Sino-Russian mutual trust, promote mutual friendship and enhance the cooperation and coordination of the two armed forces".

They will also "help strengthen the capability of the two armed forces in jointly striking at international terrorism, extremism and separatism", the statement reads.

(These war games came and went and they went well.They didn't get much Media attention but I'm sure they did from the Petagon and they did from me. Gee what happened to all our allies? -Amigo)
0 Replies

paull

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:42 am
"OCCOM BILL, your idea about "Ok Iran you sit back and we'll bomb you"
wont work.

These people are not scared of death, as we have seen in Iraq."

I guess we had better give up then.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 10:28 am
Quote:

No, by all means bomb them to death! Laughing

But dont come crying, if someone lets of a suitecase nuke in your town.

http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/book.jpg
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 10:33 am
Zippo wrote:
Quote:

The invasion would be to try to stop them from building nukes, genius.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 10:34 am
But the threat of invasion might be precisely why they are attempting to.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 10:34 am
An Israeli air strike will be what takes out the nuclear facilities...............................?
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 10:41 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Zippo wrote:
Quote:

The invasion would be to try to stop them from building nukes, genius.

Oh yeah thats right, Osama Bin Laden is Iranian...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:29 pm
Zippo wrote:
That's what Bush thought about Iraq. Have a little "shock and awe" and everyone will give up.
Your penchant for exaggeration will likely leave me ignoring your posts if you continue in that line. That being said; "shock and awe" was largely successful in terms of "everyone will give up" in so far as WMD threats were concerned. Guerilla fighters, whether you call them terrorists or freedom fighters neither protected Saddam, nor any building of significance.

Saddam, and any potential he may or may not have had to threaten the world with WMD was soundly defeated before Bush gave his "mission accomplished" speech. Winning the peace, is obviously still problematic but that doesn't change the fact that Saddam and his delusions of grandeur are gone for good. To the extent Iraq was ever a threat in the realm of WMD, the mission was accomplished a long time ago. Until you make the distinction between defeating the enemy and winning the peace, you'll continue to make faulty conclusions regarding the effectiveness of our assault.

Zippo wrote:
Iran will stop the flow of its oil. Russia and China won't be happy about that.

The Iranian nuclear sites have Russian/Chinese advisors and technicians working there. To attack Iran would also mean to declare war on Russia/China.
If you really believe something this naive, I'm wasting my time responding. In the event the sh!t hits the fan; let there be no doubt the Russians and Chinese will be long gone before the campaign begins. While the Russians may continue to put thorns in our side in terms of technology sales to Iran, they will neither consider an attack on Iran an act of war against them, nor will they be suiting up for war on their behalf. That proposition is naive to the point of foolishness.

Zippo wrote:
Quote:
The fact that the plant is being built under International Atomic Energy Agency safeguards has not eased concerns in the West. About 3,000 Russian personnel are already working at the Bushehr plant, and the large movement of equipment and technicians between Russia and Iran is the perfect cover for covert weapons-related assistance or smuggling, say international non-proliferation agencies.
http://npc.sarov.ru/english/digest/82002/section4p1.html
Yes, it would be the perfect cover if Putin & Co. were deranged lunatics seeking WWIII. There is virtually no reason to believe in such a paranoid delusion. Putin has been near the top of the Military food chain for most of his adult life; and Moscow has never played as fast and loose with their enormous arsenal as the U.S. Not even during the Cuban Missile Crisis, when the Soviets still may have thought they had a shot. If you really belive there will be a military alliance formed there against us, I can't help you.

Zippo wrote:
OCCOM BILL, your idea about "Ok Iran you sit back and we'll bomb you"
wont work.

These people are not scared of death, as we have seen in Iraq.
Frankly, Iran will have little choice or defense should we choose to bomb them, and it matters not at all if they are afraid. Scratch that last part: If they have the good sense to be afraid; they'll likely avoid the situation in the first place. Idea

Again, winning the peace is not necessary to eliminate the WMD threat. Separate the two in your mind, and you'll realize how feeble their chances of winning really are. Frankly, they are Zero. The saber-rattling you hear now is likely all about positioning. I cannot believe they are truly crazy enough to enter a war that only leads to their destruction.
0 Replies