The Greatest Hotel On Earth, Eh?

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 04:45 pm
What thinkest thou, A2K Canajuns?

Quote:
A good many if not a majority of the leading lights of Canadian letters today are immigrants, making Canadian literature a multicultural amalgam of exotic flavors and imagery.

What could be called modern Canadian fiction frequently has tales that do not even take place in Canada, like the fiction written by Mr. Mistry, who sets most of his short stories and novels in Bombay, though he lives outside Toronto. And when the novels and short stories are set in Canada, they often depict immigrant neighborhoods that have changed the face of Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal over the last three decades.

Contemporary Canadian literature often appears rootless and global at the same time, like Mr. Martel's "Life of Pi," which only touches Canada tangentially. The novel is about an Indian named Piscine who is from the French colony of Pondicherry, survives a ship wreck and then sails the Pacific on a raft with several animals, including a Bengal tiger and a zebra with a broken leg.

Quote:
Canada is a great hotel maybe, but not necessarily a comforting home, these writers say. In a society that takes pride in the mildness of its political debates (with the exception of periodic dust-ups over Quebec sovereignty), immigrant fiction writers are among the country's sharpest social critics.

"Canada's immigrant literature often reflects deep feelings of incredible loneliness," said Ramabai Espinet, a Trinidad-born English professor at York University. "A pervading theme is you never fit in; life is a struggle, a lonely walk in the snow."

The image of a blanketing snow is as Canadian as ice hockey or maple syrup, but in the hands of immigrant writers like the novelist Austin C. Clarke from Barbados, it sets the scene for disheartening reflection.

A coupla excerpts from this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/05/arts/05ARTS.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,366 • Replies: 4
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 05:02 pm
(Doesn't have to be just Canajuns, though I'm interested in their input especially... I was surprised, for example, at how multi-cultural Canada has become when I wasn't paying attention. I still tend to think of it as a sort of uber-Minnesota, tending overwhelmingly toward lily-whiteness. 'Course, MINNESOTA isn't even that lily-white any more...)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 06:02 pm
Sozobe - i'm in toronto, which is the very epitome of multi-cultural canada. Montreal actually has a larger afro-canajun community, but toronto has large communities from around the world represented. It's quite extraordinary.

Perhaps we can find Blaise Daley and ask him to comment on your question. He was in Toronto in the summer, and had some interesting reflections on the multi-cultural aspect of the city.

I was conceived on the boat, while my parents were on their way to Canada. I think i can fairly say i'm first generation - almost an immigrant by virtue of actual experience, as english was my third language.

I think people can be lonely anywhere, and being an immigrant is not easy anywhere. Being an immigrant in the snow must be particularly difficult.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:00 am
The Taj Palace in New Delhi. The service there is phenomenal. c.i.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 05:48 am
Don't have a direct answer but it struck me that the first of the two observations - namely, that "the majority of the leading lights of [a country's] letters today are immigrants", or at least of immigrant origin - seems very generally valid now in the West. The same has been noted much lately about British literature - that the most challenging, the most renewing, the most striking newly published literature seems almost all of "multicultural birth" - with 'white British writing' ( a term never used, I'm sure) backing off into the mere ironic or trendy. Of course I have to add that that is an impression taken solely from reviews in the paper, as I haven't read much lately anymore.

I did read "Life of Pi", as it happens, it was the last book I read (now reading Rushdie's "Fury") - and I absolutely loved it. I was deeply impressed. Kept on wanting to read whole chunks of it to Anastasia - because it was witty, yes, but unlike, say, when a Nick Hornby novel or something like that makes you laugh, after finishing smiling it left you with a sense of wonder - about such imagination, such brilliance in putting improbable story elements together in a way that keeps you improbably convinced, about the tenderness of the descriptions of people, animals, places and religions, even, and about the difficult question it poses in the end.

Even in Holland, btw, I find that most of the interesting new writing - whether novels or just even columns in the enwspaper, is by writers of migrant origin. I hadn't noticed at first until I realised my favourite columnists were Iranian, Hindustani, half-Black and Jewish. Then I started noticing how the new writers the book reviews were celebrating, for the way they turned the Dutch language around and used it in wholly new ways, were Moroccan, for example (Hafid Bouazza, Abdelkader Benali). Heard the same about French literature.

I assume that the whole experience of moving home and finding oneself mixing up experiences, loyalties and insights or narratives from different cultures and (family) histories creates both a greater need for expressing oneself and a greater or more diverse, eh, pool or reservoir of stories to draw from? I doubt, meanwhile, purely on instinct, that the new home of Canada is especially more lonely than a new home in another country in the West, but - who knows? I've never been in Canada, so perhaps it's true? Perhaps more so than the US b/c the US has been multicultural for a generation longer already now?
0 Replies