The Worst Kind of Politics: Paul Hackett is Shown the Door

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 10:02 am
The Worst Kind of Politics: Paul Hackett is Shown the Door
by Paul Rieckhoff

America's Troops and Veterans lost today with the withdrawal of Iraq War Veteran Paul Hackett from his Senate race in Ohio. Hackett claims, and there is plenty of evidence to back this up, that he was pressured to withdraw by the Democratic Party establishment. Regardless of the politics behind-the-scenes, the loss of Paul Hackett's voice in the national dialogue is a loss for our military, for the Troops in harms' way, and for the nation as a whole.

Yet again, the Washington political machine has shown its inability to handle fresh perspective and bold challenges to the status quo. Would Paul Hackett have played along with the foot-dragging and bureaucracy that is viewed as business-as-usual by the Capitol Hill old guard? Would he have played nicely when it came down to party loyalty, or would he have called it as he saw it, regardless of politics? On these issues, and many others, Paul Hackett was a novice, unaccustomed to the quiet backroom handshakes that too often characterize business inside the Beltway. So he got the boot, and now he says he isn't planning a return to politics anytime soon, if ever.

But this isn't about Paul Hackett. It's about the credibility that he brought to the national conversation on the war in Iraq. The issue is debated on the Senate floor by men and women who have likely never experienced war, let alone this war. It baffles me that we cannot, as a nation, agree that it is a worthwhile endeavor to send at least one person with firsthand experience to debate (and vote on) the future course of our military's engagement in Iraq.

Today, the Veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are a jump-ball. Members of the military past and present were once regarded as the Republican party's most reliable voting block. That is no longer the case, as evidenced by the fact that eight of the nine Iraq War Veterans now running for office are running as Democrats, if only because they are opposed to the status quo. But this isn't an issue to be defined along party lines. As I've said many times before, the Republicans got us into this mess and the Democrats don't have a plan to get us out.

Isn't it time we turned to those men and women with real credibility on the issue to lead us in the right direction?
---------------------------------------------------

Pressuring Paul Hackett To Abandon Campaign is Old Politics at its Worst
by Gary Hart

Based on news reports alone and knowing nothing (thank goodness) about behind-the-scenes politics, the pressure brought on Paul Hackett, the bold Iraqi veteran, to abandon his campaign for the U.S. Senate from Ohio is deplorable.

This is simply old politics at its worst. There is a party which hand-picks its candidates, decides who can and cannot run, directs money to the favorite candidate, and dictate terms. Up till now, that party has been the Republican party.

Now, it seems, my Democratic party is once again imitating the Republican party in a desperate effort to regain power. With the McGovern democratic reforms in the early 1970s, political bosses were diminished and grassroots voters were elevated. The theme was, Let the people decide.

Telling Paul Hackett that he cannot run for the Senate, and purportedly calling contributers to dry up his funds, is the worse kind of old politics. It will drive voters away from the supposedly "open" party, the Democrats, and further add to public cynicism about how politics in America is played in the early 21st century.

Shame on us.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 781 • Replies: 10
No top replies

revel

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:31 am
It does a shame, wonder why they did it? Were they afraid that his negative views of Iraq would not go down well locally and would cost them a seat?

I have always been a democrat since I was old enough to vote and I will still vote democrat over republican any day, but I gotta admit with their lack of will they have been making me ashamed and I might start looking outside the party (not republican) regardless of how futile it is. Except I would be afraid that would just be throwing a vote to the republicans.
0 Replies

coachryan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 12:27 pm
I just shoot off a couple of e-mails to my senators to put pressure on them to put pressure on the leadership. Can't imagine it'll do any good, but it's something at least.

Ry
0 Replies

paull

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:56 pm
apparently Brown, the chosen candidate, has more money than Hackett.:

http://www.motherjones.com/news/update/2006/02/hackett_drops_out.html

Seems a shame, although he may suffer a bit from Dean's froth at the mouth disease. Certainly the Democrats need some new blood. The party's leaders, at this point, are an old tune permanently stuck on rewind.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:13 pm
This kind of manipulation is why I am an Independent. I will vote Democratic if it is clear than a more rational vote would be thrown away.

This is so sad. It is getting more and more difficult to avoid pure cynicism for any and all politics.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:29 pm
Me too. And what a gift to the Republicans! All they have to say now is "look how much the Democrats hate the military, they won't even let veterans run." Stupid idgits.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:32 pm
I don't disagree with anyone here. As a feeble defense for the Dem powers-that-be, this is the kind of hardball the Republicans play all the time. They don't want primary fights. Pick the guy with the best chance of winning then bully everyone else out of the way.

It sucks, but I guess the Dems are tired of being in the minority.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:04 pm
I know this is normal party bullshit, I just think that the dems can't afford to play these games right now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:09 pm
Can he run as an independent?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:10 pm
He can, but I think he said he wouldn't.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:13 pm
Shame. Seems the U.S. would benefit from more independent candidates.
0 Replies