Peace, is it Possible?

Xenoche

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 05:43 pm
I want to hear peoples ideas, political standings and how you believe your views can benifit our current society on the road to peace. Or you may state your reasons why peace is unobtainable and "out of reach" of the wounded hand of humanity.

Personally I think peace is something that is found within yourself, peace is a personnal affair with one's relations and reactions with the outside world. Peace is an absolute state of inconfliction, whether this state of being is possible within the greater society is, to me, fiction.

Please share your views, comments and general thoughts on the possiblity of peace not mearly being an unachievable goal on a global level, but a pedistal inwhich we all may stand, one day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 688 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Sanctuary

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:27 am
Peace has never been an acomplishment of men. In the beginning, we fought our own pack, we evolved to fight those of other packs, and eventually other kindoms and empires. Peace and men, naturally, do not co-exist.

I believe that the only way peace could be achieved world-wide is to somehow get level-minded, peaceful ghandi-like (though perhaps more in touch with his people and world) leaders for every country, who don't desire more power than the next. Which is pretty much impossible. It'd be nice, but impossible.

My favorite fairy tale as a child was that of the queen who gave everything to her people; when someone complained, she actually spoke to them face-to-face and explained her options and situation to work out a compromise. No one was hungry, because the queen did not live lavishly. No one fought, because the queen herself was tolerant. No one was poor nor wealthy because the queen distributed everything evenly.

Alas, a fairytale. I'm not so naive to believe that it would be possible, let alone last. The country bordering the queen's came in and conqured all the land Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:41 am
The only evidence for the existence of Peace, is that there have been brief periods of quiet between Wars.

Paraphrasing since I can't find the exact quote, but I think that sums it up nicely.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:32 am
Anything is possible once people put aside their religous beliefs and remove boarders and open themselves up to a sharing of ideas that will benefit all, not just the elite.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:40 am
woiyo wrote:
Anything is possible once people put aside their religous beliefs and remove boarders and open themselves up to a sharing of ideas that will benefit all, not just the elite.

I can't see how kicking out boarders is going to help anything, woiyo. They're hardly part of the elite and to make them homeless won't benefit them, or society overall.

Smile

But I do like your sentiments.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:44 am
JTT wrote:
woiyo wrote:

I can't see how kicking out boarders is going to help anything, woiyo. They're hardly part of the elite and to make them homeless won't benefit them, or society overall.

Smile

But I do like your sentiments.

Whatever. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 08:25 am
I'm glad I believe in evolution. Peace may come when we evolve into something different from what we are. With luck that will occur before the sun burns out.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 08:39 am
Is peace possible? I doubt it. As long as there are people who look different from one another and/or think differently...it's the nature of man, it seems, to fear and try to destroy the unknown.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 09:59 am
eoe wrote:
Is peace possible? I doubt it. As long as there are people who look different from one another and/or think differently...it's the nature of man, it seems, to fear and try to destroy the unknown.

Or as the old saying I used to use in many Masters of Orion games:

That which is not the same is different.

That which is differentmust be destroyed.

It's been that way for a long, LONG time and I don't see it changing until we mature away from this whole.
"You're different and strange to me and thus, an enemy."

Attitudes like this will keep us at each others throats for a long time to come.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 10:20 am
eoe wrote:

How superficial and stupid....but true today.

People are not "different". We ARE all the same.

Our minds have been poisened by beliefs of faith and selfishness.
0 Replies