First sign of pregnancy?

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:35 pm
Is there any sign of a woman being pregnant that shows up before a missed period? Will a woman still experience PMS symptoms (the first few weeks of being pregnant) if she's pregnant?

This isn't a panic question - its a hopeful question. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,470 • Replies: 13
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:38 pm
Oooh!

I think it varies per person... I was WAY hormonal (like PMS-ier than I usually get when I actually have PMS) in the first couple of weeks.

That and breast tenderness were probably the first signs.

But if you want to know, just go ahead and buy an EPT!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:39 pm
Re: First sign of pregnancy?
HickoryStick wrote:
Is there any sign of a woman being pregnant that shows up before a missed period? Will a woman still experience PMS symptoms (the first few weeks of being pregnant) if she's pregnant?

This isn't a panic question - its a hopeful question. Very Happy

I was about a couple of weeks pregnant with my son, but did not know it. I had not yet missed my period. I spent an evening at a girlfriend's house, and promptly fell asleep on her couch. She woke me up and informed me that I was pregnant...........I was! Very Happy
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:52 pm
Ok, the period is due next weekend, and there is a LOT of breast tenderness. That's a typical PMS symptom, but not as bad as it is now.

And falling asleep is a daily occurance, so maybe I should just search for a psychic friend like yours. That's very cool!

Isn't it too early for a pregnancy test to work? If the period is supposed to start in about 6 days, will a test even work right now?

Thank you both!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 01:53 pm
Quote:
Tender swollen breasts are another early symptom. While tender breasts are a symptom of an impending menstrual cycle, enlarged breasts are not. Sore and swollen breasts with a tingling sensation can be an early indicator of pregnancy.

http://www.surebaby.com/signs_of_pregnancy.php

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/gettingpregnant/earlypregnancysymptoms.html
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 02:27 pm
How early can a pregnancy test be used?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 02:48 pm
Each one is different. A blood test can be done anytime and will be elevated as soon six days after conception. OTC urine tests have become very sensitive and can now be done as early as four days before the expected start date of the next period.

From the e.p.t. web site:

Quote:
e.p.t® is over 99% accurate - nothing is more accurate.

Most pregnancy tests (including e.p.t®) can be used as early as 4 days before an expected period.

However, because pregnancy hormone levels are lower the earlier you test, results are less reliable, and over 30% of pregnant women may get an incorrect result when testing that early.*

For a result that's over 99% accurate, trust e.p.t® from the day you expect your period.**

http://www.pfizerch.com/brand.aspx?id=294
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 02:51 pm
I guess we should wait a few days then.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:07 pm
Or go for a blood test.

Good luck - I hope you get the news you are looking for.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:16 pm
I am crushed. For my entire life, I believed that when "the rabbit died", it meant that the woman was pregnant. Now I find that this was an urban legend. Next thing that you know, I'll find out that the tooth fairy is a fake!

http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/rabbit.htm

Quote:
Nowadays a woman who wants to find out if she's pregnant need only make a quick trip to the local drug, grocery, or convenience store; purchase an over-the-counter home pregnancy test kit; and perform a simple test; and she'll know the results within a matter of minutes. Not so long ago, however, it wasn't nearly so quick or easy: A woman who thought she might be with child had to schedule an appointment with her doctor, make a trip to his office, give a urine sample, go home, then spend an anxious couple of days waiting for the office to telephone with the test results.

In the movies and television, a positive result was usually revealed by having a character burst into a scene and announce dramatically, "The rabbit died!" (This phrase was either shouted excitedly or whispered in a hushed tone, depending upon whether or not a positive result was the one the woman desired.) But why a rabbit? And why did it die if the woman was pregnant?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 04:03 pm
How far apart are her trips to the Ladies' Room? Frequent urination starts early in pregnancy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 04:07 pm
Good point, Noddy. Also, oftentimes one of the earliest signs is a darkening line running from the navel toward the pubic area. I have no idea what causes the line but I remember reading it when I first suspected I was pregnant and, sure enough, it was there.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:33 am
I had been pregnant about two weeks when my baby's dad told me I was pregnant. He said I smelled pregnant -- and he was right!
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 03:32 pm
You smelled pregnant? What does that smell like? Very Happy

Well, this month was a no-go in the baby realm for us, try again next month Sad

We lay next to each other every night, but we're not pregnant yet, ugh!

yes, that's a joke.
0 Replies