Up next...John McCains soul...the bidding starts at...

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 05:15 pm
I started this thread two years ago when it was becoming apparent that McCain was beginning to seriously undermine those characteristics - honesty, integrity, principle, ideological independence - which made him an attractive politician and presidential candidate.

How bad has all this gotten?

Quote:
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/02/13/mccain-waterboarding-fail/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 05:33 pm
Hmmm, I may need to reread this thread. I originally sort of liked McCain.. followed by losing it for McCain. It would be only theoretical for me to toy with voting Republican, but given choices in working with people, even having non party folk in some administration positions, I had been interested in McCain in time past.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 05:38 pm
Osso

Me too. I've always granted this man a lot of respect. A couple of years past, I recall arguing with georgeob about the fellow and I was more laudatory than george. Today...not so much.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 05:50 pm
My point of view has apparently changed dramatically in the past two years.

I don't remember writing any of those posts near the beginning of this thread.

Very interesting.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 06:50 pm
ebrown

Looking back definitely has its risks.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:47 pm
blatham wrote:
I started this thread two years ago when it was becoming apparent that McCain was beginning to seriously undermine those characteristics - honesty, integrity, principle, ideological independence - which made him an attractive politician and presidential candidate.

How bad has all this gotten?

Quote:
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/02/13/mccain-waterboarding-fail/
But then Hillary didn't have time to cast a vote one way or the other.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:23 pm
Yes. But now her family has a big plate of cookies they otherwise wouldn't have had.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 11:44 pm
blatham wrote:
ebrown said
Quote:
I don't think Obama has a chance either in the general election or in the primaries.

I think you are dead wrong. When the McCain/Obama spat took place last week, both Matthews and Blitzer referred to Obama as the Dem's "golden boy". That sort of unique and notable characterization has followed him, and grown, since his speech at the convention. And for very good reasons.

We can't discuss Obama's potential without reference to his race. And we don't want to ignore it anyway. A black President would be a social achievement even greater than a female President.

But aside from that worthy end, there is the reality of how he would mobilize the black community in America to work for him and to get out and vote for him. He would not be beatable (because of that black base, plus the white folks like me who respect his abilities, and dem voters in general).

And then, we might be looking at a Rice vs Obama run. Wouldn't that be something.

Why do you hold this opinion?

It's unique for two liberal commentators to refer to Obama as "The Golden Boy" in conjunction with a "spat" with a Republican?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 11:49 pm
I just realized the post I responded to was some two years old.

An interesting look into the past.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:10 am
It does change the perspective, doesn't it?

I'm too lazy to google-archive instances of "golden boy" being used to describe a Dem presidential candidate but could reasonable guess that Bobby Kennedy be the last instance.

I recall the spat quite clearly (though can't recall precisely what it was about). It really came out of the blue and nobody could quite figure out why McCain was as upset as his outburst suggested. It was over in a couple of days with both men saying nice things.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 08:46 am
Quote:

Links for statements and facts at the addmittedly liberal source
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 11:09 am
Hagee, in NYT Sunday, Says McCain Sought His Endorsement
Hagee, in 'NYT' This Sunday, Says McCain Sought His Endorsement
By Greg Mitchell
Published: March 20, 2008 5:35 PM ET

In an interview that will appear in this Sunday's New York Times Magazine, controversial televangelist Rev. John Hagee declares, "It's true that [John] McCain's campaign sought my endorsement."

McCain has attempted to distance himself from some of Hagee's views, much as Barack Obama is doing in relation to Rev. Jeremiah Wright. But unlike McCain, Obama has not stood on stage with Wright and accepted his accolades this year.

Interviewed by Deborah Solomon, Hagee refused to discuss his statement that Hurricane Katrina was God's punishment for a gay rights parade in New Orleans, calling it "so far off-base." He claims, "Our church is not hard against the gay people. Our church teaches what the bible teaches, that it is not a righteous lifestyle. But of course we must love even sinners."

He also said that charges that he had bashed the Catholic Church ("false cult system," etc.) have been "grossly mischaracterized....I was referring to those Christians who ignore the Gospels."

Asked what he thinks of Obama, he answers, "He is going to be difficult to beat, because the man is a master of communication. If he were in the ministry, he would make it in the major leagues overnight."

He also denies that he is a strong supporter of Israel because of any coming "Rapture" in the holy land.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:07 pm
Well, goodness. The fellow has done himself in.
FreeDuck

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:34 pm
@blatham,
Really and truly. My regard for him is nearly rock bottom. Quite a long drop.
JTT

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:40 pm
@FreeDuck,
Verily precipitous, Freeduck.

How is it possible for a politician to be in freefall for so long and still hold on to any believers?
0 Replies