Is violent entertainment spirtually harmful?

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:02 pm
Concerning violent movies and video games and the like:

Can viewing or participation cause spiritual harm?

You don't need to profess belief in a god to answer. Can such activities damage one's ability to make moral decisions?

Consider that the adrenaline rush often associated with violent entertainment might provide reinforcement. Could it lead to harmful personality traits?

Discuss.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,450 • Replies: 79
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:39 pm
Sorta depends on whether you're with the Christians or the Lions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:52 pm
There has been this question for many years - does art (movies or any other kind) reflect culture or cause it.

My own view is that human nature exists and that its explication and illustration are to some extent useful to cut through layers of candy floss.

But a diet of only violent movies is usually not good for anyone. Except perhaps someone learning editing techniques, reviewing for whatever reason one can think of that isn't gratuitous.

The basic question is does seeing violence in real life or in movies make it more thinkable, more of a possibility for oneself.

I suppose it can give one better tools and techniques.

If one is raised around it, I can easily see that is seen as the way to deal. I am chary of the most violent films being seen easily, at the same time I am wary of censorship categories.

American films tend be pulsed for violent thrust points, while we are relatively circumspect about the demon sex, and even ordinary lovemaking. This has been noted by many before me.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 07:35 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Sorta depends on whether you're with the Christians or the Lions.
Enlighten us, O fearless feathered one.

What might be the effect on the spectators?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 08:06 pm
Well, I do not know about spiritual harm , but I was listening to the author of a new book, which gathers together as much of the research on TV's effects as the author found humanly possible, interviewed the other day.

According to him what comes up very clearly (as well as risks to physical health...obesity in kids is clearly linked to hours of TV watched, though whether the association is from cause or effect, I know not) is that, once television is introduced to a society, the violence rate of that society goes up very significantly, from whatever the base rate for that society is.

I know the debate about violent stuff rages, and research needs to be subject to vigorous critique, but that , plus the demonstrated effects of numbing to violence suffered by kids who watch a lot of it on TV, and the apparent mindset that they are prone to getting, that violence solves stuff. is enough for me to have become very concerned indeed about it.

I would view it in psychological terms....but if you view life through a spiritual lens, then I guess we are likely to be able to talk about spiritual damage for a significant group of us.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 08:09 pm
Thanks, bunny.

But don't discount the relation between psyche and spirit. They are intertwined on many levels, don't you think?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 08:12 pm
Lol! Depends on whether you believe in the spirit bit.

If you do, then sure, I would think they are, indeed.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 08:21 pm
I just try to use common sense and observe around me. It doesn't seem healthy at all to be exposed to too much violence - whether real, on TV, in the news, video games, or anywhere.

The lil kids I've known who are raised with violent video games have freaked me out a few times. Kids get so into things, and sometimes can not make the distinctions between what is ok on TV and what is ok in real life, what is real and what is 'just pretend'. I don't think too much of that stuff is good for them, really.

I mean, these video games are out there! Pretend you are a criminal and kill cops, slaughter people who get in your way, collect weapons etc. etc.

So, yeah, I think violence....anywhere...can affect the human being interacting with it/exposed to it.

No big riddle for me: Just what goes in, must come out. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 08:24 pm
I am trying to find the damned book! No matter what terms I google, I can't find it! Grrrrrrr...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 08:26 pm
Depends on how smart/stupid and emotionally stable you are. If you're an impressionable, half-moron, then yes...violence in media can definitely have an effect on your morals. If you have at least somewhat of a clue in life, then it probably won't have much of an effect.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 08:52 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Depends on how smart/stupid and emotionally stable you are. If you're an impressionable, half-moron, then yes...violence in media can definitely have an effect on your morals. If you have at least somewhat of a clue in life, then it probably won't have much of an effect.

Yeah...that is the current line of thinking for the average person, I think...I am not sure that is standing up in the face of extensive research.

This may be it.....I got confused cos he is American, but works in Britain.

The url takes you to a summary, but you can click to hear the full interview.

I am listening to it as I type, and I am waiting to see if he begins to discuss the violence increase, if he does, it is the one I meant. (I have to go out, so may not be able to answer my own question until later....lol)

I do not know if the person I meant talked specifically about VIOLENCE on television, or just the effects of TV in general.

http://www.abc.net.au/brisbane/stories/s1566681.htm

So far, as I am listening, he is mentioning the effects of TV in general, so this may be a bit of a non issue re the question asked....I am very sorry if this is so.

I think he is the guy, and that I heard a different program, where he WAS discussing the violence increase.

Anyhoo, it may be interestijng in and of itself for some.

http://www.aricsigman.com/index.html
0 Replies

Armageddon

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:59 am
Kids who grow up around artificial violence can tell the difference between artificial violence and true violence. We can make the seperation.

Take this "battle scene" from a Lord of the Rings video game
http://www.sg.hu/kep/2004_12/1222battleformiddleearthbemutatokep5.jpg
and compare it with a photograph of trench warfare for WWII:
http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/trenches/turks-trench-anzac.jpg

I could probably find better pictures if I went in to a few pages farther in to my google search, but you get the point.

The only real problem is repetition dulls meaning. Play something violent over and over and over again, violence becomes superficial.

Watch the news. Violence, every night. Read death tolls. Casualties, every night.

Trust me, the media's got nothing on reality.

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/2000/breaking-news-photography/works/crossesonthehill.gif
http://www.haikuhut.com/VR/Vietnam%20Wall.jpg
http://www.normandywebguide.com/newsletter/pics_newsletter/graves_aera_2.jpg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 01:25 am
Re: Is violent entertainment spirtually harmful?
neologist wrote:
If you use the word "can" then the answers is yes. If you use a realistic preface such as - is it very likely under normal healthy conditions -then the answer is no.
neologist wrote:
Can such activities damage one's ability to make moral decisions?
If you use the word "can" then the answers is yes. If you use a realistic preface such as - is it very likely under normal healthy conditions - then the answer is no.
neologist wrote:
Consider that the adrenaline rush often associated with violent entertainment might provide reinforcement.
OK.
neologist wrote:
Could it lead to harmful personality traits?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:10 am
Madison Avenue spends billions of dollars each year on the premise that what you see and hear does affect the way you live and the decisions you make.

Are they all wet?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 05:28 am
real life wrote:
Madison Avenue spends billions of dollars each year on the premise that what you see and hear does affect the way you live and the decisions you make. Are they all wet?
No they are right, but if Madison Avenue spends billions of dollars to promote an SUV and a pair of jeans, that does not automatically mean that if Madison Avenue spent billions of dollars promoting death to all Christian that people would take up arms against you, Real Life Shocked

You are trying unsuccessfully to make a slippery slope argument: The slippery slope is an argument for the likelihood of one event given another. Invoking the "slippery slope" means arguing that one action will initiate a chain of events that will lead to a (generally undesirable) event later. The argument is sometimes referred to as the thin end of the wedge or the camel's nose.

The other argument you are trying to make is the shoot the messenger argument. Madison Avenue is the messenger, not an evil doer.

Now if Madison Avenue did try and promote the death to all Christians, you would quickly find that Madison Avenue would be brought to task by a number of agents, both legal and financial.

That is of course is not to say that a government agency or private company cannot fall prey to evil myopic endeavors, and as such, Senator McCarthy and Henry Ford both clearly qualify.

In fact, I assert there has been vastly more violent outcomes from the likes of figures such as Senator McCarthy, Nixon, Stalin, Henry Ford, Hitler, Jesus and Mohammed, than from any amount of "violent movies and video games".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 09:22 am
Toddlers are more likely to bop playmates and siblings after watching cartoon characters bopping each other.

Solution: Change channels.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 08:06 pm
neologist wrote:
Concerning violent movies and video games and the like:

'Spiritual' is such a nebulous and amorphously defined word as to be meaningless without further definition. By most definitions it is nonsensical.
Quote:

You don't need to profess belief in a god to answer. Can such activities damage one's ability to make moral decisions?

Morality itself is a social construction, by all evidence available to us. Moral decisions are what you make of them.

Quote:
Consider that the adrenaline rush often associated with violent entertainment might provide reinforcement. Could it lead to harmful personality traits?

Life is violent. Life requires violence of the most brutal sort just to continue.
What constitutes 'harmful' in your opinion within the spectrum of personality traits?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 09:12 pm
Doktor S wrote:
What constitutes 'harmful' in your opinion within the spectrum of personality traits?
Criminal?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:10 pm
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Madison Avenue spends billions of dollars each year on the premise that what you see and hear does affect the way you live and the decisions you make. Are they all wet?
No they are right, but if Madison Avenue spends billions of dollars to promote an SUV and a pair of jeans, that does not automatically mean that if Madison Avenue spent billions of dollars promoting death to all Christian that people would take up arms against you, Real Life Shocked

You are trying unsuccessfully to make a slippery slope argument: The slippery slope is an argument for the likelihood of one event given another. Invoking the "slippery slope" means arguing that one action will initiate a chain of events that will lead to a (generally undesirable) event later. The argument is sometimes referred to as the thin end of the wedge or the camel's nose.

The other argument you are trying to make is the shoot the messenger argument. Madison Avenue is the messenger, not an evil doer.

Now if Madison Avenue did try and promote the death to all Christians, you would quickly find that Madison Avenue would be brought to task by a number of agents, both legal and financial.

That is of course is not to say that a government agency or private company cannot fall prey to evil myopic endeavors, and as such, Senator McCarthy and Henry Ford both clearly qualify.

In fact, I assert there has been vastly more violent outcomes from the likes of figures such as Senator McCarthy, Nixon, Stalin, Henry Ford, Hitler, Jesus and Mohammed, than from any amount of "violent movies and video games".

Slippery slope has nothing to do with it really. It's just a numbers game.

Madison Avenue promotes product A.

Obviously not EVERY person exposed to the promotional blitz will respond by purchasing product A. They know that. So do I.

But some do. That's the point.

------------------

As for violent outcomes from the figures you mention, as far as I know Jesus was not responsible for anyone's death unless you can prove otherwise. Unbelievable that you would even TRY to equate this with Hitler and Stalin in any type of association whatsoever.

I suppose MLK Jr was responsible for the actions of the Black Panthers as well? How could you leave that out? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:03 am
Chumly has a very wide brush.
0 Replies