Bush on a revenge mission

frolic

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 02:34 am
From The Independent.

Quote:
American anger at France over its refusal to support war in Iraq reached new heights yesterday when President George Bush took a direct swipe at President Chirac.

"I doubt he'll be coming to the ranch any time soon," was Mr Bush's tart comment in an interview with NBC News, when asked about Jacques Chirac - a reference to the informal summits Mr Bush likes to hold with favoured foreign leaders at his cherished retreat in Crawford, Texas. Many in his administration - by implication, himself among them - had the impression "that the French position was anti-American", the President said.

The latest warnings of retaliation against Paris only underscore that acute strains in the Western alliance have not ended with victory in Iraq. Although Colin Powell, the US Secretary of State, made moves last night to repair relationships with countries in North and South America and in the Middle East, in the case of France, they may be about to worsen.

In Paris, one French official was told by a White House official that "I have instructions to tell you our relations have been degraded", while senior Bush aides met on Monday to decide on the nature of the punishment.

The likely sanctions will include steps to marginalise France within Nato, and efforts to downgrade or even bar French participation in US- sponsored international meetings. Mr Bush is still planning to attend this June's G8 summit in Evian, France, though, and - despite earlier reports to the contrary - will be staying in France rather than Switzerland.

But if hardliners in the administration have their way, Washington will try to obstruct French initiatives. On the economic front, French exporters and contractors are already suffering in American markets, even without official retaliatory measures.

In the television interview, Mr Bush professed hope that the crisis would subside and that "the French won't be using their position within Europe to create alliances against the United States, or Britain, or Spain or any of the new countries that are the new democracies in Europe". But several French moves will be interpreted in Washington as precisely that.

At the United Nations, French opposition to the outright lifting of sanctions on Iraq sought by the US is already threatening to reopen the pre-war split on the Security Council. France also wants UN inspectors to return, which Washington has ruled out.

Dominique de Villepin, the French Foreign Minister, pointedly visited Iran this week, and next month plans a five-day visit to Israel and the occupied territories, in what the White House will regard as meddling in its efforts to broker an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal.

Most serious in Washington's eyes is the planned Franco- German-Belgian summit in Brussels next week. The aim of the meeting - held on the day that Nato discusses the dispatch of peace-keeping forces to Iraq - is to strengthen European defence ties. Robert Bradtke, a deputy assistant secretary of state, has publicly criticised the summit as "a diversion" and "not helpful".

M. Chirac's initiative rekindles the basic US suspicion against France, that it is trying to build Europe into a power to match America. Not only would this contradict the administration's official national security doctrine, explicitly aimed at preventing the emergence of any rival to US military pre-eminence, it goes to the heart of American ambiguity towards Europe itself.

M. Chirac was not alone in the American doghouse. Mr Bush has put off a visit to Canada to signal his displeasure at Ottawa's refusal to provide troops for the invasion, while Mexico and Chile have been scolded for their failure, as members of the Security Council, to back a second UN resolution authorising force to topple Saddam Hussein.

However, General Powell made conciliatory moves toward the other countries last night by insisting: "We are not plotting ... how to get even with these three friends."

It also emerged that he is preparing to visit the Middle East, possibly as early as next week, including Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Saudi Arabia. He may also meet the Israelis and Palestinians if the US has presented a Middle East peace plan known as the road-map, said diplomats.

But the US administration's anger at France is real, pervasive and probably long-lasting. Damage to American relations with Germany and Russia will probably be small, despite their almost equally trenchant opposition to the war. Not so, however, for France.

Condoleezza Rice, Mr Bush's National Security Adviser, says the strategy for dealing with what she calls "non-nein-nyet" - the alliance against America over Iraq - should be to punish France, ignore Germany and forgive Russia.

The fury is evident everywhere - from Mr Bush's jibe at M. Chirac and the tightlipped "yes" from General Powell when asked if France would be punished, to icy diplomatic exchanges, and using "France" and "French" as omni-purpose insults in Washington's corridors of power.

My main question in this issue:
Quote:
Damage to American relations with Germany and Russia will probably be small, despite their almost equally trenchant opposition to the war. Not so, however, for France.
Why??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,161 • Replies: 57
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 08:00 am
Bush is a petty little turd and a bully. And like most petty turds who are bullies, he expresses anger at the most vulnerable targets -- and allows less vulnerable targets a bit more slack.

I also suspect he thinks he has some need for the good will of Russia and Germany -- and that he can do without the good will of France.

I have no idea of how our country has allowed itself to come under the influence of this abominable little turd and his band of petty little handlers, but our nation is the worse for it happening.

It will pass. But the scars of their pettiness will be with us for a long while.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 08:34 am
Book mark
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 08:46 am
"It will pass. But the scars of their pettiness will be with us for a long while."

It is a source of sadness for me that it may not pass for another 5 years, Frank.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 08:59 am
snood wrote:
"It will pass. But the scars of their pettiness will be with us for a long while."

It is a source of sadness for me that it may not pass for another 5 years, Frank.

I hope not, Snood -- I seriously hope not.

All we can do is to hope that the American public sees this group of reprobates for the blight on our Republic they actually are.

I use to be very active in political campaigns, but have pretty much put that on the back burner for the last several years. Come next election that will change again. I will be very active during the next election cycle -- and much as I hate this kind of thing, it will feature: Anyone other than Bush.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 09:52 am
Frank
I will stay out of this discussion. However, I will say that the French animosity toward the US goes back many years.
There are many articles on the subject. Here FYI are just a sampling.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/EB11Aa01.html

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/392/98567

http://www.thebuggyprofessor.org/archives/00000033.php
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:11 am
I will vote for anybody I think has a chance to unseat Bush this time around. Last time I did not believe the public would allow the thoroughly unqualified candidate to prevail and to take us so far down a road that can only be described as stupid, self serving for Bush and his henchmen, and unlawful.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:13 am
Au

Having the French show animosity towards us -- I can deal with.

Having us show animosity in return -- especially by someone who should be above that -- is quite another thing.

Bush's remark "Well, he (Chirac) is not going to be a guest out at the Ranch soon" was something I could easily laugh about -- if it had come from a high school class president.

Coming from the president of the United States was mortifying.

The man is a moron -- and is fielding a job that is way, way over his head.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:35 am
Frank
The fact that Bush is what he is I understand. However, that was not the question posed. I believe the discussion was meant to be about US actions relative to France and why. Instead we get the usual diatribe about the foibles and short comings of Bush.
This is not to steal frolic's thunder. But should we punish France, Yes/No and why?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:48 am
Inmaturity is the bain of politics, and we're supposed to be the "superpower?" GWBush belongs in some third world country to lead. What a laugh - and cry. c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:49 am
Avoid anything and everything that's French.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:50 am
Looks like the Dems are at it again!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 11:01 am
au1929 wrote:
Frank
The fact that Bush is what he is I understand. However, that was not the question posed. I believe the discussion was meant to be about US actions relative to France and why. Instead we get the usual diatribe about the foibles and short comings of Bush.
This is not to steal frolic's thunder. But should we punish France, Yes/No and why?

Punish them for what? For speaking their minds and telling us they thought we were doing something wrong?

I think we did something wrong -- and I honor anyone who speaks his/her mind. I think France was doing what our congress should have been doing -- trying to get Bush to act responsibly.

NO -- France should not be punished. It should be lauded.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 12:03 pm
Quote:

I use to be very active in political campaigns, but have pretty much put that on the back burner for the last several years. Come next election that will change again. I will be very active during the next election cycle -- and much as I hate this kind of thing, it will feature: Anyone other than Bush.

This sentiment will be one of the best benefits from this entire Bush mess. Apathetic democrates got a good wake up call and hopefully will have a long enough attention span to remember this when election time comes around again.

As for France being singled out from amongst the three, it may also have to do with a backlash to the perceived snobbishness of the French toward Americans.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 12:12 pm
Butrfly, Your assessment of the French is right on target. The French snobbishness towards Americans and all English speaking people is a well-known cactus, and will show it's ugly head when subsequent events trigger their reincarnation. I have personally had good and bad experience with the French in Paris, but I would never relate those with their rights to express their opinion on the war with Iraq. Two different issues. c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 12:13 pm
Since Bush is leading the call to punish France, he and his motives have to figure in the discussion. For my part, if France had done anything wrong they might indeed need punishing. But, all they did was try to stop Bush from committing a crime.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 12:20 pm
Cicerone, what are the two different issues? I thought the question was "why is France singled out for punishment and not Germany or Russia?" My reply was in response to that. I'm not clear on which two issues my response was different from. Please explain.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 12:31 pm
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/FrancePartDeux/FranceGIFS/donato.jpghttp://http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/FrancePartDeux/FranceGIFS/donato.jpghttp://
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 07:55 pm
Any actual or perceived snobbishness of the French towards Americans has nothing to do with their ability to agree or disagree with the US's plans to go to war. Some people will react with disdain whatever France does, because of their perceived snobbishness towards Americans. That's called "inmaturity" in some quarters, because they are unable to seperate one issue from another. c.i.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 08:04 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Some people will react with disdain whatever France does, because of their perceived snobbishness towards Americans. That's called "inmaturity" in some quarters, because they are unable to seperate one issue from another. c.i.

That was exactly my point. Thanks for agreeing. Wink
0 Replies