DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:28 am
We've got 'em all across Texas, too. Pretty good.

Pulled pork is just steamed, right? You could get the same results from a pressure cooker.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:33 am
DrewDad wrote:
We've got 'em all across Texas, too. Pretty good.

Pulled pork is just steamed, right? You could get the same results from a pressure cooker.

hardly. it's slow cooked and constantly basted with a vinegar base sauce for 12 hours or more. It's done in a pig cooker. Wood fired is best, but some now use gas and it still does okay.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:34 am
roger wrote:
Next question; why didn't we do that last time?

Actually Roger that's a very good question. When we have guests we never reall As an example there is a mexican resturant herey know what they might enjoy and always try to pick someplace fairly neutral. When Ul and Rainer where here from Vienna, we took them to Rudy's and they loved it. But, you just never know. As an example there is a mexican resturant here that "everyone" goes to when entertaining out of town guests. I would rate it as 1 1/2 on a scale of 10. But everyone seems to love the decor while I prefer the food at some not as fancy places.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:39 am
I always like taking northerners out for some real Mexican food. But then I can be a bit of a prick.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:41 am
I'll never forget that trip to Raleigh. We tried for Mexican food.

"Can I have some queso?"

"...What?"

"Chile con queso."

"Oh! Cheese deep!"

This guy is hispanic?!?!?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:11 am
dyslexia wrote:
roger wrote:
Next question; why didn't we do that last time?

Actually Roger that's a very good question. When we have guests we never reall As an example there is a mexican resturant herey know what they might enjoy and always try to pick someplace fairly neutral. When Ul and Rainer where here from Vienna, we took them to Rudy's and they loved it. But, you just never know. As an example there is a mexican resturant here that "everyone" goes to when entertaining out of town guests. I would rate it as 1 1/2 on a scale of 10. But everyone seems to love the decor while I prefer the food at some not as fancy places.

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute! I really liked the place we went! So did my son and hubby. The food was great and the company was even better. It was a wonderful choice!

I meant NEXT time. We like to try different places, and Rudy's sounds like an authentic hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint...the best kind if you want real barbecue.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:18 am
Where's the nearest Rudy's by here DrewDad?

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Oh, out by llano there's a good place, butcher paper, goat, meat, I enjoyed it.

Have you ever gone to Artz Ribz? That about 4 blocks from my house.

WAY too greasy, gave us both belly aches.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:25 am
My experience in this area is limited to two weeks spent with friends in Burlington, NC, but I do recall having some good barbecue at Hursey's. There were signed photos of such luminaries as Jesse Helms on the wall, but that didn't put me off my feed for long.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:27 am
oh, never mind...Rudy's. I remember now. One on 360 and one on 183.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:35 am
Vinegar!! VINEGAR! Vinegar goes on those lettuce leaves and tomatos in the salad bowl. You know the one. It sits there next to the real dinner of pinkish slices of brisket, about a pound, that are still steaming smoke from the cooker. What the hell you need a knife for? Ain't you got the edge of your fork?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 11:50 am
real barbeque can be eaten with no utensils at all.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:18 pm
Ribs, yes. Brisket, no.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:28 pm
Depends, Eva, I haven't seen the Bear actually eat, but he might be able to hold his hair back with both hands while he just smushs his mush into the plate.

(Tha's hows deh do over in the Caroliniahs)

J
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:33 pm
brisket is a finger food in my house. I do, however, use a plate.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:36 pm
This bbq business has the potential to be more devisive that R&S
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:36 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Depends, Eva, I haven't seen the Bear actually eat, but he might be able to hold his hair back with both hands while he just smushs his mush into the plate.

(Tha's hows deh do over in the Caroliniahs)

J

I know when I've been insulted. I'm sending Earnest T Bass to your home with a sack full of rocks.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:37 pm
Is not. shut up and eat!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:48 pm
I just had Carolina barbecue for the first time last summer. A friend who used to live there went back for a business trip and brought several pounds home to freeze... I got some the next day, warmed up with a loaf of good bread and some fresh shrimp salad...

The sticky red sauce cr** is now off my menu fo-evah!

But dry smoked (if well seasoned and tender) is quite good too, just a different meal.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:50 pm
Wy wrote:
I just had Carolina barbecue for the first time last summer. A friend who used to live there went back for a business trip and brought several pounds home to freeze... I got some the next day, warmed up with a loaf of good bread and some fresh shrimp salad...

The sticky red sauce cr** is now off my menu fo-evah!

But dry smoked (if well seasoned and tender) is quite good too, just a different meal.

that wasn't Carolina Barbeque... Carolina Barbeque is not sticky.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:54 pm
I aolmost forgot... for Eva and any other culturally and gastronomically deprived... her is all you want to know about Brunswick Stew...

http://tourbrunswick.org/brunswick_stew.htm
0 Replies