cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:18 pm
Posting this to General because it is bigger than just a dining topic.

Texas barbecue SUCKS! At least in Houston. Been to multiple places, everything is really tender, but undersmoked and absolutely flavorless. Same damn barbecue sauce everywhere too - thin, dried chile based and tasteless.

I love barbecue - ribs, pork, beef brisket, whatever. But this ain't gettin' it done.

Texas - where do you hide your cue? Or is it lost forever?

To "spice" this up a bit, I'm saying that not only is there better barbecue up north in Michigan, but even in California!

Edit [Moderator]: Moved from General to Food & Drink.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,695 • Replies: 54
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:21 pm
The salt lick..... austin.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:23 pm
http://www.famousdaves.com
http://www.armadillowillys.com

Cue with taste, not just tender.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:39 pm
If I get any more of that tasteless chile-based thin sauce and no alternative, I'm taking this complaint to a higher level. Providing no alternative sauce would be OK if your sauce didn't SUCK. Next time in Houston I'm bringing my own (even if just a bottle of Bullseye).

I've wanted to do barbecue competitions for a long time. These east Texans would be easy pickins for a person like me (i.e someone with taste buds).
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:41 pm
barbeque is pulled pork with a vinegar based sauce served with brunswick stew, hushpuppies potato salad and baked beans...... cooked slowly over wood preferably. There is nothing else, don't fool yourself.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:51 pm
I'm sure it tastes better than this....

We do Carolina 'cue once in awhile. It isn't my favorite, but it's good, when done right.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:06 pm
Hey Texas.

You who love to brag about your cattle production.

Know you're #5 these days? Iowa, the hog capital, is also the biggest beef producer (glad I don't live there).
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 11:21 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
barbeque is pulled pork with a vinegar based sauce served with brunswick stew, hushpuppies potato salad and baked beans...... cooked slowly over wood preferably. There is nothing else, don't fool yourself.

What the hell is "brunswick stew"?!?!?

That don't even SOUND western! I mean, can you really imagine John Wayne sidlin' up to a campfire and sayin', "Evenin' fellas. Pass me some-a that there...brunswick stew"???

Western, hell. That don't even sound AMERICAN.

Shame on you, Bear.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 05:32 am
Eva barbeque is not western. You have sliced beef with some tomato sauce. That's not barbeque, that's meatloaf. Please don't insult America by representing it as cowboy. That image has been darkened and ruined by the ky cowboy in Crawford.

And if you don't know what Brunswick stew is I feel sorry for you. It is a godly dish, a meal in itself. It is what John Wayne is eating in heaven assuming he made it there... to enhance his Eastern Carolina Pork Barbeque.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 06:03 am
shewolfnm wrote:
The salt lick..... austin.

Berts BBQ - austin.

cjhsa - I don't recall ever bragging about my cattle production. Silicon chips yes, cattle.....no.

I do agree that for me, east texas bbq is less than optimum.

However, and I can only speak to the one time I had bbq in Mich.
I was a someones house, outside of Detroit and was given a couple of plain ribs, no sauce offered, no fixins. So I'm guessing this isn't the norm.

bvt - A good friend of mine came from NC. I was living in Fl at the time, and went with her to visit her folks. Really lovely people.

Anyway, her mom served bbq for lunch, and I wasn't sure what some of the stuff she laid out was for. So, I watched what the others were doing with the various dishes I was unsure about, and followed suit. There was this bottle of lemon juice on the table, and I was wondering if it was to be sprinkled on the meat or something. No one touched the lemon juice the entire meal, so I left it alone.

At the end of lunch, I thanked her, everything was so good, and admitting it was the first time I'd had some of the things she'd served. I asked "I'm wondering, what was the lemon juice for"

Now for the benefit of others, put on your best North Carolina accent....

"why honey, that was for the Ice Tea!"

Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 06:08 am
there is no tea but sweet tea that's for sure....

one of the first problems squinney had in DC was when she ordered sweet tea and they told her the sugar was on the table. f**king barbarians....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 06:09 am
I know. Don't get me started.

Try to order ice tea in Manhattan.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:18 am
BBQ sauce is for weenies. And for places that serve dry meat.

Go to Kruez in Lockhart. Used to be you got some butcher paper with your meat on it, and that's it. Fixin's available from a separate vendor on site, but no BBQ sauce.

One knife per table, chained to the center of the table...

The health dept. put an end to that, so now you get plastic.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:19 am
I smoke, but I don't glaze. That's why we have a Tony Roma's.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:31 am
cjhsa, where did you go in Houston? I know folks who'd eat at Goode Company Barbecue 3 times a day if they could afford it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:37 am
the lady diane and meself were driving across mississippi and stopped at the "welcome tourists" place on the highway and asked about good BBQ. the lady said the very best BBQ in america was on down the same highway about 150 miles. We went there. I had ribs and the lady diane had catfish. We couldn't tell the difference. I'm guessing western style BBQ is a different critter than in the south (including texas).
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:42 am
I will repeat..there is Carolina Barbeque and there are many usurping the name barbeque.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:47 am
We eat at Rudy's BBQ, everything is dry smoked, you go to the counter in front of the smoker and order like a full rack of ribs, or pounds of brisket, grab a beer or soda out of the cooler (the other cooler has cole slaw and beans) the counter person hands you a paper wrapped package and you find somewhere to sit at one of the long tables that are either inside or outside. there's a roll of paper towels on each table for napkins. fine dinning.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:24 am
Ah yes, dry smoked! That's real barbecue! Not that fake stuff drowned in sauce. The meat should be tender enough to almost fall off the bone, and it should have enough flavor that sauce is barely necessary. (You can have a little on the side if you like, there's a squeeze bottle on the table.)

Next time we're in Albaturkey, would you take us to Rudy's, Dys?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:27 am
Next question; why didn't we do that last time?
0 Replies