Religious Art - sacradness, just art or ...

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 01:15 am
A row that crystallises the old argument about religious art - does its sacredness trump its value as art, or can it have different meanings for different people? - is to be settled by an Italian judge.

Judge to rule on primacy of art over religion

The figure of this Madonna, the protector of pregnant women, with her austere expression and natural stance of a woman heavy with child, stands out against the damask canopy, held open at the sides by two angels. The sacred and ritual nature of the image is further emphasized by the fact that the angels are drawn from the same cartoon, repeated in mirror image:

http://www.verdinrete.it/verditoscana/artecultura/MADONNAD/VANGELOM.JPG

There are certainly some more examples, worth a discussion, but I'm not aware of any legal case about that ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,123 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 05:15 am
IMO, art is the primary value. Unless the work was commissioned for a particular house of worship, and therefore belongs in that facility, it is simply another piece of art.

I am not a believer, yet I am fascinated by religious art as part of our culture, the culture that belongs to all people, not just those with a particular religious persuasion.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 05:34 am
This could be a religious art because it is a biblical figure.
http://vlsi.colorado.edu/~rbloem/photos/david_full_front.gif
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 07:39 am
Re: Religious Art - sacradness, just art or ...
Walter Hinteler wrote:
A row that crystallises the old argument about religious art - does its sacredness trump its value as art, or can it have different meanings for different people? - is to be settled by an Italian judge.

Walter, What an interesting question. If the art is primarily an object of religious adoration, I can see it being removed to a church. But there are many religious people who might see spiritual significance in the picture but who would prefer to view it in a non-church setting. Then, there are those who see the picture only as art or as a part of the history of art. I think the judge has a tough call.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 07:46 am
Interesting Walter and I have to think about what I think on this topic before posting.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 07:48 am
I don't think that a biblical figure is religious art per se.

I'm quite your opinion, Hazlitt.

Lot of relgious art had once been an object of religious adoration, later lost it's 'religious significance.
An excellent example in a doubled sense is to be seen here:
Schnüttgen Museum Cologne
a medieval ecclesiastical building with lots of religious art inside - a museum since nearly 50 years.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 08:12 am
Art is not politics. The separation of art from religion hardly has a sense.
There have been some in the profession of art that served to politics, and those artists who made religious arts. The difference is clear.
(I do not think this politically minded question, rather than art oriented, is very interesting.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 08:42 am
satt_focusable wrote:
Art is not politics. The separation of art from religion hardly has a sense.
There have been some in the profession of art that served to politics, and those artists who made religious arts. The difference is clear.
(I do not think this politically minded question, rather than art oriented, is very interesting.)

satt

I wonder, why you think this could be a "political" question.

It's a legal -in this case especially- okay.

I strongly believe it's an art orientated - at least here in Europe.
(You may not be aware of it, but it already had been an academic discussion among art historians for some hundred years here.)

Besides, art has always been politics.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 09:00 am
Walter Hinteler..
Academic discussion usually cannot find the court for its disputes. If it becomes a legal issue, it is already a political question.
Clear your mind and rephrase the question if you are to provoke a fruitful discussion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 09:10 am
I beg your pardon?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 09:20 am
Quote:
<..> does its sacredness trump its value as art, or can it have different meanings for different people?<..>

Could I understand that the point of your question was the part I quoted above? Or must I think that your interest is in the legal issue?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 09:59 am
Actually I didn't pose the above quoted text as a question but copied it from the link I gave.

My interest just is to 'publish' this newspaper article in the "Art category" of A2K. And I'd really like to hear (different) opinion about it.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 02:06 pm
Artistic vs. Religious value
Walter wrote:

Walter, here is what seems obvious to me. For the deeply religious person, the picture may be a sacred object and only a sacred object, and that person may believe that the only rightful place for the object is in a church or other religious setting. Apparently, there must be some people who feel that way about this picture.

Others who are not religious may recognize its historical religious significance, but believe that its true value in our times lay in its artistic merits.

Between these extremes there will be other shades of opinion (Hardly two people think alike on any one subject, it seems).

Personally, I do not see that any one of these opinions has any more validity than any of the others, so I'd vote to leave it where it is on the theory that possession is nine tenths of the law. If the church can show that the picture once belonged to the particular building where it now wants it placed, then I'd consider their case.

Frankly, I am surprised that the Church of Santa Maria di Monentaua, from which the picture was originally removed, does not put in a claim. That church, in my opinion, is the rightful owner. Perhaps that church was never rebuilt after the war and is no more.

On the basis of the facts in the article, I'd leave it where it is.

On the question of whether the item should be considered a sacred object or simply as art, I see no way to to reach an opinion upon which all people will agree. That's why this has to come down to a question of ownership.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 06:50 pm
: o
0 Replies