Where are the intelligent muslims?

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:24 am
Lash--

Credit to William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 05:19 pm
Quote:

Why, here's a clever sandmonkey:

egyptiansandmonkey

And here's another one:

Big Pharaoh

Off course clever is defined as agreing with me.
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:11 pm
Einherjar wrote:
Quote:

Why, here's a clever sandmonkey:

egyptiansandmonkey

Thanks. I read the articles. This guy is remarkable.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 04:19 pm
I agree, and he's remarkably active.
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:56 pm
I'm new here and therefore only have a very short post history on which to stake my claim, but hopefully I will be able to live up to your standards of intelligence, and hopefully we might learn from each other. For example, I might help you with your social intelligence, so that you might not make unintentionally insulting threads like this in the future, Insha'Allah.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 07:09 pm
I don't think it was unintentionally insulting. I think it was annoyingly accurate relating to our history with the particular Muslims who have run through, spraying unintentionally farcical crap on the walls.

If you are an intelligent Muslim, we can start a new thread in your honor.

(Are you Sam or Apostacstress? (OK, I forgot how she spells it.) ...one of the Muslims/former Muslims I've contacted and invited via other forums.

Intelligent Muslim test question #1: How 'bout that Bin Laden...?
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 07:18 pm
No, I am neither of your friends, sorry.

I don't think I should have to take a test, but for humour's sake I'll tell you no, I don't like bin Laden at all, I don't condone any violence against kaffir. Their souls are their business. The Prophet (SA'WS) said there is to be no compulsion in religion, and violence is but the worst variety of 'compulsion.'

This problem with muslims you refer to, what is happening, they are grafitti-ing in your city? Or was that metaphor for muslims here on the boards causing troubles?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 07:21 pm
I was teasing about the test.

I'm glad you're here.

Yes, a metaphor. We've just had lots of very close-minded Muslims visit, and I went searching for someone who could give us another view.

Of course, you don't have to take any test.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 07:22 pm
Perplexed--

Do you live in the states? Britain?
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 07:24 pm
I am an American, native born (but not a native-American:P).
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 07:26 pm
How did you feel about the cartoons published in Europe?
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 07:37 pm
Aren't cartoons supposed to be funny? I'm sure an American audience could come up with funnier material.

I'm pretty apathetic about the whole thing, like I said before, what the kaffir do is their own business.

I haven't liked anything about this story, they shouldn't have had the contest, the entries should have been better, the muslim world shouldn't have reacted the way they did, and the american media shouldn't focus so narrowly on the violent protests that sprung up.

Also, it has NOT always been a rule that prophets could not be depicted, this has sprung up more recently, notably with the rise of puritanical Wahhabism, which comes from Saudi Arabia. There are many historical depictions of Muhammad (SA'WS), some have slightly shied away from depicting him, for example by placing his face behind a veil or simply not drawing in features and leaving his face a white blank, but an absolute ban? This is something new, an innovation. The Prophet never said that he could not be depicted, no did the four rightly guided caliphs.

Seems stupid to get so upset over something that was made up.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:28 pm
Perplexed wrote:
I'm new here and therefore only have a very short post history on which to stake my claim, but hopefully I will be able to live up to your standards of intelligence, and hopefully we might learn from each other. For example, I might help you with your social intelligence, so that you might not make unintentionally insulting threads like this in the future, Insha'Allah.

Unintentional?
Heh.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:30 pm
I believe Perplexed was giving you the benefit of a doubt, Doktor S.

How have you been?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:51 pm
Perplexed wrote:
I haven't liked anything about this story, they shouldn't have had the contest, the entries should have been better, the muslim world shouldn't have reacted the way they did, and the american media shouldn't focus so narrowly on the violent protests that sprung up.

Hear, hear!! The sound of sanity - saner, in fact, than most of the hundreds of posts on the topic that've been posted here. Welcome to A2K, Perplexed. Glad to have you on board.

Mind you, if you're going to venture into the Politics or Religion boards, make sure you bring an elephant's skin. Also, once the residents find out there's a reasoned Muslim in the house, you might possibly get both a lot of curious questions and a lot of angry reactions that may make you feel like you're supposed to represent and/or answer for the x billion of Muslims around the world. But there's a lot of nice folks here, really. ;-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:04 pm
As for finding interesting Muslim voices on the internet, I was browsing around Salaam.co.uk the other day, interesting!

In Holland we have maghreb.nl, maroc.nl, etc - highly varying quality of course, like on any board (this one included) - but in Dutch, anyway.

Specifically, I already linked in an article on one of the cartoons thread by a prof. Tariq Modood, didnt agree with everything, but definitely an interesting take on the issue, The liberal dilemma: integration or vilification?

The always recommended www.opendemocracy.net site (filled with political essays) that that's from has whole dossiers about democracy&terror, muslims in europe, the 9/11 aftermath and the islamic world, etc, by the way, and one particularly worthwhile aspect of their site is that their contributors include scores of Muslims too! Just look at their index page on "Conflict" for a taste of the contibutions.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:35 pm
Perplexed wrote:
[and Lash answered in RED]

Aren't cartoons supposed to be funny? I'm sure an American audience could come up with funnier material.

This was a cool answer.
This was even better, except I think the protests were important. I don't mind so much that you don't.
Also, it has NOT always been a rule that prophets could not be depicted, this has sprung up more recently, notably with the rise of puritanical Wahhabism, which comes from Saudi Arabia. There are many historical depictions of Muhammad (SA'WS), some have slightly shied away from depicting him, for example by placing his face behind a veil or simply not drawing in features and leaving his face a white blank, but an absolute ban? This is something new, an innovation. The Prophet never said that he could not be depicted, no did the four rightly guided caliphs.
THIS was very interesting. A lot of people have attached a lot of BS to my religion, too. It's infuriating.
Seems stupid to get so upset over something that was made up.

<nods>
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:43 pm
I'm glad we have so much to agree on. One small note: i wasn't saying they shouldn't cover the protests, I only wish they would have given more nearly equal coverage between those protests which were violent and those which were non-violent.
0 Replies