Where are the intelligent muslims?

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:25 pm
Questioner Wrote:

Quote:
And you're the now-appointed Accountability officer? Didn't know that was an official church office.

You get riled up when people 'label' you, and ask why people can't just let things go. . . then you come and throw gas on the fire with comments like the above. You invite it.

And regardless of if you 'see' it or not, revenge is what it is.

I will be sure to copy this answer to me and the next time someone jumps on someone about the Atheists....Your Life is Pointless thread, or anything else for that matter, I will be sure to post this. As a matter of fact, just to show that I am an equal opportunity poster, if anyone jumps on anyone about anything I will post it. Will that be ok? I have no problem with people not liking things being said. I do have a problem with SOME thinking and acting as if they are not subject to the same guidelines as everyone else.

It's being proven over and over again that it is perfectly ok for some to point out what they call inappropriate behavior but if it's done by someone else they are chastised for it and it makes me sick to my stomachl.

I have laid off the other thing. I have said I'm done with it. It's over. I have asked others that posted about it to also please stop.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:30 pm
Fine.

An excellent example of a Christian attitude. Do unto others as they do unto you. I applaud you, you are truly a fine, upstanding 'christian warrior'.

You're right, it's not fair, why should how you're treated be different than anyone else. Why? Because that's the lifestyle you've chosen to lead. That's the theology you've sworn you believe in.

Guess it's not worth a damn if someone 'gets' to you.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:35 pm
Questioner wrote:
Fine.

An excellent example of a Christian attitude. Do unto others as they do unto you. I applaud you, you are truly a fine, upstanding 'christian warrior'.

You're right, it's not fair, why should how you're treated be different than anyone else. Why? Because that's the lifestyle you've chosen to lead. That's the theology you've sworn you believe in.

Guess it's not worth a damn if someone 'gets' to you.

Now I understand.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:48 pm
I wonder if there might be some chance of attending to the question, not MA?

Personally, I would be very interested in knowing about sites where intelligent Muslim debate DOES occur.

I sometimes get to good discussion by following Al Jazeera net's links (NOT Al Jazeera COM) and they certainly have intelligent debate on the Al Jazeera network, but I cannot see that. I do get the web stuff though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:51 pm
Salman Rushdie has some good Op-Eds -- not debate, exactly.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:56 pm
Intrepid wrote:
You haven't kept up, Doktor S. Lash has now admitted that she is not a Christian.

Those of the Islamic religion are probably too smart to be baited.

Either Intrepid didn't follow the conversation, he didn't understand the inferences made, or he is making a judgement about my spirituality.

My spiritual relationship has not changed.

Interesting to see one's spirituality discussed by others.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:58 pm
dlowan wrote:
Personally, I would be very interested in knowing about sites where intelligent Muslim debate DOES occur.

Do you have something similar to the Patriot Act down under, where typing a simple sentence like that will put you under scrutiny?

Watch it, wabbit.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:04 pm
dlowan wrote:

One possible place to look:

About.com Forums
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:04 pm
I was trying to get some stats about percentage of Muslims in the English-speaking world (yes, leaving out the odious "rag-head" comment, there are Muslims everywhere) to try to make a case for there being a much higher percentage of Christians than Muslims who speak English (and would be at this site). But the first reputable-seeming site I found with stats points out the difficulty of doing so:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/isl_numb.htm

My overall theory is that a) several of the people you are referring to came here for reasons other than religion and just happen to be Christian/ have an opinion, and in general I've found the people who came here just for religion to be the most fervent and the least skilled at arguing, and b) there have been far more Christian threads than Muslim ones, in terms of Google traffic -- these may turn the tide, which could be interesting.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:06 pm
Another interesting Islam forum:

Islam Defended

Hard to tell from first glance if it's mostly Islamists or Christians on the site, but there's a few decent reads in there.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:20 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Do you have something similar to the Patriot Act down under, where typing a simple sentence like that will put you under scrutiny?

Watch it, wabbit.

We do, yes...quite recently passsed, in the presence of a storm of revealed terror plot stuff.

The sad thing is, the times are such that it is hard to look at the revealed terror plot...(revealed at a time when the bill was being very hotly debated, and some of its clauses VERY hotly opposed....) without scepticism.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:22 pm
Aint that the truth.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:40 pm
Thanks for the links folks...exploring...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:31 pm
Lash wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
You haven't kept up, Doktor S. Lash has now admitted that she is not a Christian.

Those of the Islamic religion are probably too smart to be baited.

Either Intrepid didn't follow the conversation, he didn't understand the inferences made, or he is making a judgement about my spirituality.

My spiritual relationship has not changed.

Interesting to see one's spirituality discussed by others.

I make no judgement. If I have misunderstood where Lash stands on Christianity, I apologize. Perhaps an indication of the status would clarify since I first understood you to be a Christian who supported Christian values and then I got the opposite impression. Whatever it is, it is your choice and I do not judge either way.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:39 pm
MA, from atop her soapbox preached:
Quote:

I love how some would accuse others of discrimination because of a moral belief they have and then turn around and make discriminating remarks against others.

Quote:

No revenge is called for as far as I see it. I merely pointed out that I see it as a double standard.

As usual, you are scattered and completely out to lunch with your facts. I have NEVER asserted that 'discrimination' is wrong. Without discrimination we couldn't make even the simplest decision.
Quote:

Doktor S obviously feels it is perfectly ok to call people names like he did. It's not.

Oh thank you for setting me straight, oh great moral arbiter for the universe.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:56 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I make no judgement. If I have misunderstood where Lash stands on Christianity, I apologize. Perhaps an indication of the status would clarify since I first understood you to be a Christian who supported Christian values and then I got the opposite impression. Whatever it is, it is your choice and I do not judge either way.

I think the problem lies in that ambiguous phrase "christian values". Would you care to flesh it out for us.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:03 pm
Re: Where are the intelligent muslims?
Doktor S wrote:
Re: Where are the intelligent muslims?
You need ask about intelligent *Muslin* as long as it's not three sheets to the wind Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:03 pm
I think the "Christian values" is not as black and white and some--even well-intentioned--Christians think the term may be.

My disagreement with what some consider "Christian values" is, and has been, a point of contention between me and the mainline church.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:13 pm
I think the big problem of about Christian values is that there are so many differing views and a lot of people will think of someone else as being not Christian because of certain things they may say or do.

No Christian, Muslim, etc., believes 100% of 100% of everything having to do with their religion.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:17 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
No Christian, Muslim, etc., believes 100% of 100% of everything having to do with their religion.
Don't you mean 100% of 100% of 100% of everything having to do with their religion's religion?
0 Replies