Yet another fiction - is anybody counting?

JTT

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:12 am
Quote:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 664 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:38 am
That won't stop Fox News from branding any person making the slightest demurrer from the President's view an isolationist. The idea is to create yet another bogeyman to foment anger at.

What someone criticizes the now $440 billion dollar pricetag for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan???!!

Some broadcast commentator opined that perhaps the President was directing his remarks towards Buchananite Conservatives.... . I yelled at my tv "What?? All six of them?"

Joe(the nerve)Nation
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:13 am
Howard Dean wrote:
The idea we're going to win this war is an idea that unfortunately is just plain wrong.

Murtha wrote:
The U.S. cannot accomplish anything further in Iraq militarily. It is time to bring them home.

Answers.com wrote:
Isolationism -- A national policy of abstaining from political or economic relations with other countries.

Defeatism -- Acceptance of or resignation to the prospect of defeat.

You're right, Bush should have used the term "defeatist" not "isolationist".
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 03:57 pm
They don't exist? Maybe the author should have done a quick google search on "Isolationism Advocate" and see how many references come up for Pat Buchanan and Ross Perot. Or he might consider the more recent term "neo-isolationists" that has been applied to those of the Libertarian Party (and Ted Galen Carpenter of the CATO Institute in particular).

Nah, I'm sure no one has heard of any of those... I guess none of them exist. Maybe Bush's speech just struck a raw nerve with Bacevich since no one has ever heard of him??
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 12:04 am
fishin' wrote:
They don't exist? Maybe the author should have done a quick google search on "Isolationism Advocate" and see how many references come up for Pat Buchanan and Ross Perot. Or he might consider the more recent term "neo-isolationists" that has been applied to those of the Libertarian Party (and Ted Galen Carpenter of the CATO Institute in particular).

Nah, I'm sure no one has heard of any of those... I guess none of them exist. Maybe Bush's speech just struck a raw nerve with Bacevich since no one has ever heard of him??

I guess you're right fishin'. When your "study" is matched point for point to Mr Bacevich's study, he will come out lookin' awfully silly.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 12:06 am
slkshock7 wrote:
You're right, Bush should have used the term "defeatist" not "isolationist".

The newly coined term "delusionist" comes to mind.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 06:26 am
Ho hum...here we go again.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 08:39 am
JTT wrote:
fishin' wrote:

I guess you're right fishin'. When your "study" is matched point for point to Mr Bacevich's study, he will come out lookin' awfully silly.

He already came out looking silly just as you have. He asked several questions and I provided answers to every one of them.

You look silly for thinking his piece is some sort of study. Since when are studies published in the Op-Ed section of the LA Times??? Is that the new peer-reveiew process of the left??
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:44 am
Everybody knows if you want hard facts one must listen to Rush Lambauh.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:17 am
Well that is just plain silly...I listen to the voices in my head.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:52 pm
fishin' wrote:

You look silly for thinking his piece is some sort of study. Since when are studies published in the Op-Ed section of the LA Times??? Is that the new peer-reveiew process of the left??

ANDREW J. BACEVICH is a professor of international relations at Boston University and author of "The New American Militarism: How Americans Are Seduced by War."

As DTOM says, "The truth is what I want, whether it affirms my political views or not."

Evidently, you aren't burdened with such a hangup.
0 Replies