I'm gonna be an teeture

George

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:42 am
If you tried to diagram the teacher/student relationships,
you'd get something that looked like a bad Picasso knock-off.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 08:02 am
can you maybe look into teaching outside of classroom? like at the arboretum, or audubon society, or something. i know i know, the classroom experience is priority and you need that experience, but as a backup, or maybe community afterschool programs - I know Emily worked at one in Roxbury and loved it.... you know, something like that, outside of school, yet still educational...

hope you'll be able to be there for J. at least a little bit, he does seem to depend on you and think something is wrong when you're not there. This setup is just not fair to those kids.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 06:21 pm
Well, they've moved me to be in my guy's class. That's what the email says (along with a paragraph of chastisement). Apparently, the parents called, the SpEd coordinator emailed, the SpEd teachers emailed and probably the behaviorist and or psychologist discussed with the summer school planners about this little issue. So, they moved me and two other TAs to different classrooms. While some of the loud contingent of squeaky wheels told us we would be 1:1 aids, we haven't heard this officially from the summer school, yet. So, I don't know if I'll be an assistant in his classroom or if I'll be a 1:1 aid to him in his classroom.

George - brilliant description of the relationship between student and teacher. I now know who will be his aid next year. I'm pleased. She knows him already and she can probably take it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 06:49 pm
littlek wrote:
Well, they've moved me to be in my guy's class. That's what the email says (along with a paragraph of chastisement). Apparently, the parents called, the SpEd coordinator emailed, the SpEd teachers emailed and probably the behaviorist and or psychologist discussed with the summer school planners about this little issue. So, they moved me and two other TAs to different classrooms. While some of the loud contingent of squeaky wheels told us we would be 1:1 aids, we haven't heard this officially from the summer school, yet. So, I don't know if I'll be an assistant in his classroom or if I'll be a 1:1 aid to him in his classroom.

George - brilliant description of the relationship between student and teacher. I now know who will be his aid next year. I'm pleased. She knows him already and she can probably take it.

Good.

Chastisement?

Because people pointed out the realities????

Shocked
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 06:52 pm
Apparently people pointed out the realities very loudly.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:37 pm
'Bout time.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 08:15 pm
Whew, it sounds like it's a step in the right direction at least.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 09:12 pm
littlek wrote:
Apparently people pointed out the realities very loudly.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I do that.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

What on earth did they SAY in chastisement?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 09:15 pm
Paraphrasing: Such and such people will be moved (general terms). These will be THE ONLY changes. If any other changes are requested please speak directly with me before going to parents and teachers.

Hmmm.... no one needed to "go" anywhere to know the assignments were screwed up.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 09:42 pm
Sounds like guilt denial defensiveness to me. Or whatever the psychological term is. Anyway, I'm glad people spoke up. Good for you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:44 am
Actually, Thomas, they were sticking of the the student - not for me. But they were on my side as I was doing the same thing mostly.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 01:43 pm
Ah! Enlightened self interest.

All they need to do now is figure out which newly credentialed teacher would be best for their students in the fall.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 02:30 pm
Hey LilK girlie

Haven't been around for the last week with moving and all but am trying to catch up...

How ya doin' right now???

Oh..

btw

littlek wrote:
Could someone kindly remind me why I thought teaching would be a good vocation? I thought I'd be a good fit, but the system is chaffing.

coz hun, kids need teachers who believe in children and what is good for their education not only with the three "R's" (read, rite, rithmetic) but in the social and special needs..... that's why you thought teaching was a good vocation - coz you understand that and can make a difference. Don't give up LilK - "systems suck" - that's why kids need to have teachers who believe in their future.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 04:23 pm
Ah, Izzie, thank you. That's right. My new mantra will be I'm in it to teach the kids with or without the system and sometimes in spite of it.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 04:49 pm
Good onya girlie - you'll do a great job hun.

Enjoy your weekend Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 05:46 pm
I am Izzie, it's been lazy. I bought books, got my car inspected - things that I have been meaning to do.

Are you settled in now?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:41 pm
I am sick. Again. I better get used to it.

Today was the last day for me at that school. I helped set up new classrooms by organizing work done by students this past year. Each class is split up into next years classrooms - samples of each student's work goes to next years teachers. I spent most of the day working with the principal who didn't hire me. During lulls she had me make copies of applications she was reviewing to fill the teacher spots she has open. Did she not think about that? People kept asking what I was going to do next year - "I don't know, yet". Each of them said something great would turn up because I am a gem. We'll see.

When I got home, there was a graduation gift here from my aunt and uncle. They are both teachers. I opened the package and the first thing I saw was a letter I'd written to my great grandmother. It is probably over 30 years old. I burst into big jumping-from-the-eyes tears and cried heartily for several minutes before I went on. She had also sent me a bag from my grandmother's alma mater which my aunt and uncle had baought for her years ago. Tears again. What a wonderful set of gifts.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:52 pm
Geez your principal sounds pretty insensitive. (Good thing she's out of the classroom...)

The gifts were obviously chosen with love and care, though. Your aunt and uncle sound like great people.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:59 pm
yep..... to both your statements.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:01 pm
littlek wrote:
I am sick. Again. I better get used to it.

Today was the last day for me at that school. I helped set up new classrooms by organizing work done by students this past year. Each class is split up into next years classrooms - samples of each student's work goes to next years teachers. I spent most of the day working with the principal who didn't hire me. During lulls she had me make copies of applications she was reviewing to fill the teacher spots she has open. Did she not think about that? People kept asking what I was going to do next year - "I don't know, yet". Each of them said something great would turn up because I am a gem. We'll see.

When I got home, there was a graduation gift here from my aunt and uncle. They are both teachers. I opened the package and the first thing I saw was a letter I'd written to my great grandmother. It is probably over 30 years old. I burst into big jumping-from-the-eyes tears and cried heartily for several minutes before I went on. She had also sent me a bag from my grandmother's alma mater which my aunt and uncle had baought for her years ago. Tears again. What a wonderful set of gifts.

a. re Principal. Stupid bitch

b. re gifts. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!
0 Replies