Republican vote fixing...

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:38 pm
In their own goddamn Majority Leader race!

http://www.rollcall.com/issues/1_1/breakingnews/12015-1.html

Quote:
Election Update: Do-Over on First Ballot
By Ben Pershing
Roll Call Staff
Thursday, Feb. 2

House Republicans are taking a mulligan on the first ballot for Majority Leader. The first count showed more votes cast than Republicans present at the Conference meeting. Stay with RollCall.com for updates.

And you people say we're crazy for suggesting that Republicans would fix ballots. Honestly. This is the best thing I've seen in weeks, too funny Laughing

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 725 • Replies: 17
No top replies

astromouse

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:43 pm
Literally laughing my ass off while rolling on the floor for a good five minutes after reading this one!

Laughing (still chuckling a bit)
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:52 pm
Ask me if I'm shocked.

Anon
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:02 pm
This is just too funny. Rollcall is clearly a liberally biased rag, right ? Rolling Eyes

The phrase "hoist by their own petard" comes to mind.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:01 am
The GOP can't help it, they're just plain straightout corrupt.

Anon
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:46 am
It is my understanding that the majority of the did not want to elect Blunt but were torn between Shadegg and Boehner. Best case scenario they were hoping for a run-off vote between Shadegg and Boehner. When Shadegg came up short in votes he withdrew and all of his supporters went for Boehner. I'm sure the over vote was done in order to facilitate a run-off vote between Boehner and Blunt.

You guys should be happy about the way things worked out. While Shadegg was really ready to shake things up in the house Boehner was on the same ticket for reform in the Republican House. Just a little about Boehner:

Quote:
Through his years of service in the house, John Boehner has often been a bold reformer and an accomplished legislative leader. He's a solid Midwestern conservative, with a healthy skepticism of government, and that shows in his legislation and his manifesto for leadership. Right now, House Republicans need to put points on the board to win back their own confidence, and that of the base.

The Ohio Congressman also has credentials as a genuine reformer. Back in the dark ages before a House Republican majority, he led the "Gang of Seven" that closed the House Bank, exposed the House Post Office scandal, and ended the House Restaurant's "dine-and-dash" system. He's managed to remain largely faithful to the spirit of the 1994 revolution, in spite of his subsequent ascent through the Republican ranks. Boehner cast the same votes as Shadegg on abominations such as the 2002 farm bill and the 2005 highway bill. Unlike many of his colleagues, Boehner does not propose pork-barrel projects that are not necessary for his Ohio congressional district. And like Shadegg, Boehner didn't know Jack Abramoff and never received a contribution from him.

Another characteristic that is essential in leadership and that has been displayed by Boehner in the past is a streak of stubbornness against the Democratic leadership's most outrageous acts of partisanship and attack strategies. When no one else would, Boehner acted years ago to hold liberal Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) accountable for leaking the contents of an illegally-recorded conversation among House leaders. Boehner's action was taken at great expense to his own self-interest - and his re-election fund, which with FEC approval has financed a lawsuit against McDermott that continues to this day.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:08 am
Oh, we're happy all right; happy that your boys elected DeLay light to head your party in the House.

Boehner is deep with ties to K-street and will look worse and worse as the Abramoff scandal deepens. Maybe he'll do some actual reforming (though I doubt it). The best thing you can say about him is that he isn't Blunt.

And this part is funny
Quote:
When no one else would, Boehner acted years ago to hold liberal Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) accountable for leaking the contents of an illegally-recorded conversation among House leaders. Boehner's action was taken at great expense to his own self-interest - and his re-election fund, which with FEC approval has financed a lawsuit against McDermott that continues to this day.

The conversation that was recorded was, in fact, Boehner and Newt Gingrich discussing ways to illegally break the rules of the House in order to win a political struggle. Boehner took up the lawsuit in order to take pressure off of himself; after alll, he was caught red-handed discussing ways to subvert the rules of the House of Reps. Hardly an honorable fellow, there.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:59 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The conversation that was recorded was, in fact, Boehner and Newt Gingrich discussing ways to illegally break the rules of the House in order to win a political struggle. Boehner took up the lawsuit in order to take pressure off of himself; after alll, he was caught red-handed discussing ways to subvert the rules of the House of Reps. Hardly an honorable fellow, there.

Interesting... I didn't know about that. I was hoping for Shadegg to pull off an upset. I don't know all that much about him but it sounded like he was ready willing and able to shake things up a bit.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:21 am
Shadegg was the only candidate who didn't have his hands dirty in some way. I think that may have had something to do with the fact that he didn't get elected.

Boehner (I don't care how they say it's pronounced, it'll always be 'boner' in my mind) is the same fellow who handed out checks on the House floor to tobbacco lobbyists back in 1995.

He has something like 15 former staffers who are now K-street Lobbyists; his ties to the lobbying world are extensive. I have a hard time seeing how he is going to enact real reform without abandoning so many of his former mates; but, he could prove me wrong, and I would not be angry.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:24 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
...he could prove me wrong, and I would not be angry.

Sometimes it's good to be wrong.

and its bay-ner
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:25 am
Yeah, yeah, lol

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:25 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Shadegg was the only candidate who didn't have his hands dirty in some way. I think that may have had something to do with the fact that he didn't get elected.

Boehner (I don't care how they say it's pronounced, it'll always be 'boner' in my mind) is the same fellow who handed out checks on the House floor to tobbacco lobbyists back in 1995.

He has something like 15 former staffers who are now K-street Lobbyists; his ties to the lobbying world are extensive. I have a hard time seeing how he is going to enact real reform without abandoning so many of his former mates; but, he could prove me wrong, and I would not be angry.

Cycloptichorn

Hey Cy,

If the guy isn't dirty and crooked, he isn't qualified to be part of the GOP leadership Smile If Bay-Ner is "DeLay light", we can probably look forward to further indictments in the near future!!

Anon
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:39 pm
That business about handing out checks on the House floor is just too good to be true. The Republicans, of course, present themselves as the party of reform. Reform what? Their own members?
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:47 pm
Can we get a full source for this story?

House Majority Leader is selected by a secret ballot of all Republicans in the House, therefore, 231 Republicans were eligible to vote. Every story I can find (with the exception of this suspect Roll Call headline) shows that 229 voted on first ballot and all 231 on the second.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:40 pm
Slk, one Rep was out with a hurt shoulder and couldn't vote, according to a Roll Call article that I saw earlier.

The discrepancy on the first ballot was written off as a 'clerical error in counting the number of people in the room;' which is probably true, but funny anyways.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:46 pm
ok, but in that event, your title for this thread (as well as the Roll-Call article) is misleading and the gleeful slams on the GOP are not called for.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:19 pm
At the time the thread was created, there was no indication of why the vote was off; just an early report from Roll Call that there were more ballots counted than congressmen present. So it wasn't misleading at the time of creation.

Also, it's all in good fun. Lighten up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

astromouse

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:48 am
Quote:
and the gleeful slams on the GOP are not called for

????????????????
I assume you are new here... Very Happy
0 Replies