Why is Iraq a bad thing?

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:15 am
Isn't the freedom of the Iraqi people reason enough to be there?

Do the free people of the Earth have a responsibility to protect the opressed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,006 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:17 am
Should they be killed in the process?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:23 am
Would you die for your freedom?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:37 am
McGentrix wrote:

I would to protect MY freedom and the freedom of every US Citizen. However, where is it written that the US impose our system on folks who will not fight for their own freedom?

That is my biggest hangup with the tactics used by GW post Saddam capture.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:45 pm
What about the 2.2 billion people who live under dictators? What are we waiting for?

Let's invade all of these many countries, the poor people there would love to be free.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:46 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Well, you would certainly be free if you were dead Cool
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:07 pm
Re: Why is Iraq a bad thing?
thunder_runner32 wrote:

No.

thunder_runner32 wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "protect."
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:43 pm
Destroying the infrastructure and killing 15 000 civilians is not my idea of winning the hearts and minds of the locals.

The US moves since 9/11 have (unfortunately) doubled the number of crazies who like to blow themselves up in the name of some god.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:46 pm
They were crazy before and will be crazy long after we are gone outta there.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:38 pm
Why is Iraq a bad thing?

Let me count the ways.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:42 pm
detano inipo wrote:
Destroying the infrastructure and killing 15 000 civilians is not my idea of winning the hearts and minds of the locals.

The US moves since 9/11 have (unfortunately) doubled the number of crazies who like to blow themselves up in the name of some god.

I dont suppose you have any sort of link to that number of 15,000?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:07 pm
mysteryman wrote:
detano inipo wrote:

I'll do one better...

Civilians reported killed by military intervention in Iraq
Min 28,293
Max 31,900

Thats from http://www.iraqbodycount.org.

Pentagon figures from last October estimated the number of Iraqis killed or wounded since the beginning of 2004 at 26,000 (link)
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:10 pm
according to these findings: 28.293 civilians were killed by US forces.
Brit. medical journal Lancet puts them at 100.000.
Put the two in a pot and stir: 15000 is what comes out for me.
That does not include torture victims that died.

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/press/pr12.php
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:12 pm
nimh wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
detano inipo wrote:

I'll do one better...

Civilians reported killed by military intervention in Iraq
Min 28,293
Max 31,900

Thats from http://www.iraqbodycount.org.

Pentagon figures from last October estimated the number of Iraqis killed or wounded since the beginning of 2004 at 26,000 (link)

Now,lets eliminate those civilians killed by other Iraqi's,lets eliminate those Killed by foreign insurgents,and those killed by other means ),traffic accidents,street crime,etc.
What is the number now?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:17 pm
detano inipo wrote:
according to these findings: 28.293 civilians were killed by US forces. [..]

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/press/pr12.php

Well, to be fair Iraqbodycount doesn't say all of the minimum of 28,293 civilians that were killed by the military intervention were "killed by US forces".

In fact, the very article you linked in says something else about the 24,865 civilians who were reported killed in the first two years:

Quote:
Who did the killing?

- US-led forces killed 37% of civilian victims.
- Anti-occupation forces/insurgents killed 9% of civilian victims.
- Post-invasion criminal violence accounted for 36% of all deaths.
- Killings by anti-occupation forces, crime and unknown agents have shown a steady rise over the entire period.

So if those percentages have remained stable since, that makes for some 10,500 Iraqi civilians that were killed by the US-led forces themselves.

However, one could reasonably argue that, if the US hadnt started a war in Iraq, then the civilians who have now been killed by insurgents or anti-occupation forces would also not have died, upping the number considerably.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:19 pm
I seem to have answered MM's question before I even saw it!

Cool.

Those percentages, btw, are from a report that Iraq Body Count published in association with the Oxford Research Group, and that was based on comprehensive analysis of over 10,000 media reports published between March 2003 and March 2005. (Thanks for the link, detano).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:26 pm
nimh wrote:
In fact, the very article you linked in says something else about the 24,865 civilians who were reported killed in the first two years:

Quote:
Who did the killing?

- US-led forces killed 37% of civilian victims.
- Anti-occupation forces/insurgents killed 9% of civilian victims.
- Post-invasion criminal violence accounted for 36% of all deaths.
- Killings by anti-occupation forces, crime and unknown agents have shown a steady rise over the entire period.

So if those percentages have remained stable since, that makes for some 10,500 Iraqi civilians that were killed by the US-led forces themselves.

Ah - slight oversight of mine, here. The fourth bullet point says that "killings by anti-occupation forces, crime and unknown agents have shown a steady rise", so, no, obviously the percentages will not have remained stable since.

However, even the 37% that was definitely attributed to the US-led forces of the 24,865 civilans killed in the first two years already makes for 9,200 victims.

So, basically:

- number of civilians verifiably killed by US-led forces since the military intervention begun, according to the IBC reports: in between 9,200 and 10,500

- total number of civilians verifiably killed since the military intervention begun, according to the IBC database: in between 28,293 and 31,900.

All in all Detano wasnt too far off with his 15,000, especially not if you take the Lancet report (which indeed mentioned the number of 100,000 victims of the war and aftermath) into account as well.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:09 am
When I hear some posters quibble about the number of civilians killed by US forces, it reminds me of the years after WW2.
There were many Germans who finally heard of the atrocities in the concentration camps.
These Germans were shocked by the fact that they had fought for a government that was totally evil.
In self-defense they came up with an argument that sounds like the one we are discussing now.

They said: 'Six million Jews? Never! Perhaps three million or four million, but not six million'.

The US was shocked and angry after the loss of 3000 innocent Americans on 9/11. So they attacked a country that had nothing to do with that terrible day, killing innocent civilians and destroying the infrastructure.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:31 am
Re: Why is Iraq a bad thing?
thunder_runner32 wrote:

No, no.

We need to establish freedom in the US first.
0 Replies