Passage ...... Where do you go after you die

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 01:51 pm
Visitor wrote:
<<Most intelligent people realize that it cannot be found at the end of a telescope, microscope, or theorem -- and say the obvious: I do not KNOW if gods exist or not.>>

That sounded like you were saying "most intelligent people say, 'I do not KNOW if gods exist or not.'" Ipso facto, agnosticism. But perhaps that is not what you meant.

That was exactly what I meant -- and I would not have commented if you had put it that way.

But you wrote: "Hate to burst your bubble, Frank, but not all intelligent people are agnostics."

I was merely calling your attention to the fact that I did not say "all."

I would have thought that was clear from the what I said in my response to you.

Quote:
FYI, my father was agnostic, so I was raised in that environment. But I later found it very hollow.

How unfortunate for you! Your father had the ticket. And there is absolutely nothing hollow about agnosticism. If you want to discuss that, I would be happy to do so.

I thank you for your story.

My guess: It was coincidence -- just coincidence. If your guess is different, so be it.

But if you have a god who works like that -- you might begin to ask yourself: Why give the kid cancer in the first place? Why let so many kids die without this miraculous intervention? If your god is willing to intervene because of prayers sent around the Internet, why does your god allow pajamas to occasionally catch on fire and snuff the life of a youngster?

And why on Earth does your god allow itchy hemorrhoids?

(That last part may seem smart-assed, but take my word for it -- it is appropriate today. In any case, it was not meant to be smart-assed; it was meant to be itchy assed.)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 02:30 pm
I chafe at those who proseletyze anything to me - natural rebelliousness, I guess.
But there are Christians (and representatives of other faiths) who believe they have something that makes this life better, and has hope for a life beyond this. I don't mind listening to those people, because there is every indication that they share out of a compassion that simply wants everyone to have what they do.

In that spirit is how I hope to be perceived. My faith is just that - faith. Something that is without supporting evidence, by definition. I hesitate to share the couple of experiences I've had in my life that have convinced me of a loving Father in heaven, because all due respect, but frankly I think if some on this board saw Jesus walking on water their only thought would be that he can't swim. Suffice it to say there have been times in my life when I believe I experienced a presence of such overwhelming love and comforting that for brief moments I knew what it was to live totally without fear, and I believe my god visited me in those times.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 02:31 pm
Frank, I'll bet they cause you to over rotate with your driver ...hehhehe
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:06 pm
Ge

They cause me to do all sorts of things.

Snood wrote:
Quote:
I chafe at those who proseletyze anything to me - natural rebelliousness, I guess.
But there are Christians (and representatives of other faiths) who believe they have something that makes this life better, and has hope for a life beyond this. I don't mind listening to those people, because there is every indication that they share out of a compassion that simply wants everyone to have what they do.

Yeah, I know where you are coming from.

We agnostics think we have something to share with humanity also -- something that will make this life much better and which does away with the need for any "hopes of life beyond this."

We have the truth to share.

We acknowledge that we do not KNOW if there are any gods. That is the truth -- and the truth will just about always be the best way to look at things.

And we recognize that it does no good to concern ourselves with whether or not there is "hope of life beyond this." It makes much more sense to us to just enjoy this one as best as possible -- and take whatever comes after if there is anything.

Surely, Snood, you don't mind listening to that, do you?

Seems to me you shouldn't mind. It would make much more sense than wondering what any of us would do if we saw Jesus -- or anyone else -- walking on water.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:11 pm
Let's not split hairs, Frank...you were portraying agnosticism as the predominant belief system of the intelligent. I disagree with that. The most intelligent people I know are deeply religious (of varying faiths.) I disliked the tone of your argument and felt it was insulting to people of faith. I do not wish to continue this conversation if it is nothing more than an exercise in semantics. And arrogant semantics at that.

Re: "things that make perfect sense in an illogical way" ...
You ever been in love, Frank?! :wink:

I hesitated to even give you a specific example of illogical logic, because I suspected that whatever I said you would pick apart or dismiss. A person's belief system interprets their entire world. I look at the stars, at scientific order, at natural laws, and I see a higher intelligence at work. You look at the same things and see...well, I don't know what you see, but it's obviously not the same as my interpretation.

The god I believe in isn't responsible for the cancers and sufferings in the world (some things we bring on ourselves through abusing our environment, our fellow man or ourselves, some are the result of an imperfect world...many reasons), but God offers some hope of redemption for whatever we go through. I have been through some horrible experiences in my 48+ years, but I do not blame God for them. Rather, I have been able to watch God bring some ultimate good from them.

I am not interested in convincing you to share my beliefs, Frank. We each have to arrive at the truth for ourselves. Likewise, I have no interest in your proselytizing agnosticism to me. I am only interested in hearing what others' belief systems are. Fair?

Aside to Snood: I, too, have experienced what you have. There's nothing like it, and no way to explain it logically, either.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 05:29 pm
Frank, are you 50/50 on the god question, or do you lean a little one way? Does your gut feeling agree with what you are able to reason?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 08:01 pm
Is it possible to confuse religious bigotry with a constructive exchange of ideology?

How is growth possibl without an exchange of ideas.

If each person's God is identical in every aspect, to the degree that any discussion of religion is superflous, what would be the point of religion?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 08:47 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
Is it possible to confuse religious bigotry with a constructive exchange of ideology?

How is growth possibl without an exchange of ideas.

If each person's God is identical in every aspect, to the degree that any discussion of religion is superflous, what would be the point of religion?

I don't exactly understand the question in the context of this thread. Has there been some attempt to stifle someone's expression, or something?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:10 pm
Well there has been a degree of intolerance. I posed a group of questions to hopefuly stimulate a healthy exchange, such as this. It was not my intention to point a finger, just to understand ... sorry.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:11 pm
Gelisgesti - I understand what you are saying.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:22 pm
a
Husker, great, now could you explain it to me ... Smile Very Happy
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:43 pm
oh, brother...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:43 pm
I'm not sure I understand, Gelisgesti, but if any of the intolerance came from me, I sincerely apologize and will attempt to do better.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:50 pm
Quote:

Yes
internal passion
indivdual values
cultural diversity
racial diversity
religious diversity
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:52 pm
one persons intolerance is anothers tolerance
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:54 pm
Glad it makes sense to someone. I just reread the whole thread, and if the point in starting it was to raise and exchange various and sundry ideas, it has been a success. Gel says, "Im sorry for pointing the finger at anyone."

I repeat, HUH?!?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 10:09 pm
Snood .... yes?

Visitor, there is no problem.... re-read my last question.

Husker, let me sleep on that.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 10:16 pm
It was not my intention to point a finger, just to understand ... sorry.

Just for the record...

S'up?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 04:32 am
Chrst't mistake
one man's voice
although comprised of many
remains one voice
screaming from the cross
one makes up a cult
a religion
is made of many
screaming from the cross

Husker said

Quote:
Yes
internal passion
indivdual values
cultural diversity
racial diversity
religious diversity
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 09:48 am
Visitor wrote:
Let's not split hairs, Frank...you were portraying agnosticism as the predominant belief system of the intelligent.

I was not portraying agnosticism as a "belief system" at all. It is not in any sense of the word. And that is not "hair splitting" that is simply telling things as they are.

Quote:
The most intelligent people I know are deeply religious (of varying faiths.)

Great! I'm happy for you.

Almost all the intelligent people I know are agnostics. That probably says more about the people we know than about what the reality is - don't you agree?

Quote:
I disliked the tone of your argument and felt it was insulting to people of faith. I do not wish to continue this conversation if it is nothing more than an exercise in semantics. And arrogant semantics at that.

Sounds to me like you don't like people calling your errors to your attention. You wrote the word "all" where I used the word "most" -- and then tried to make an argument based on your misquote. That sucks. And I don't really care if that seems like a tone you should find insulting.

Frankly, anyone who does not acknowledge their agnosticism (it seems none of us KNOWS for sure if a God exists or if gods do not exist) is playing loose with the truth. I have no idea of why you find that insulting, but instead of ranting on about how insulted you are, why not just debate the concept with me?

As for the "arrogant" element - I suspect you mistake directness with arrogance. Deal with that as you will. It is a failing in you, not in me.

Quote:
I hesitated to even give you a specific example of illogical logic, because I suspected that whatever I said you would pick apart or dismiss. A person's belief system interprets their entire world. I look at the stars, at scientific order, at natural laws, and I see a higher intelligence at work. You look at the same things and see...well, I don't know what you see, but it's obviously not the same as my interpretation.

I see the same mystifying stuff you do. I cannot explain or understand much of it in any real sense of that word. And I acknowledge that I do not know the answers to the questions all those natural things raise for me. That is what agnosticism is all about.

If you want to make guesses like "It has to mean there is a God" -- go ahead and do so. But don't try to convince me that your guess is some wondrous thing that we should all hold in high esteem. Your FAITH, Visitor, is merely your insistence that your guesses about the unknown are correct -- despite the fact that they are merely guesses.

In the meantime, I sure hope your life is playing out well -- and that you are healthy and happy in this world. I certainly am -- and I have no reason to wish you anything but the very best.
0 Replies