• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,113 • Replies: 21
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 08:42 am
This was such a mess on every level.

I can't imagine not accepting help in such circumstances because you didn't really believe they could help. That's just nutty.

"Didn't agree with the assignment" is a curious turn of phrase. I'd really like to know exactly how one agrees/disagrees with and assignment and exactly what the assignment was.

His "lack of resources" to carry out the plan makes me wonder if he was perhaps asked to construct a plan that wasn't really based on the reality of what would be available.

It will be interesting to hear more about the assignment.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 08:42 am
Quote:
Among the reasons he cited for not drawing up plans was a lack of resources the state needed to carry out the evacuations.

What's the guy going to do, carry out people on his back. Here is just another lame attemmot to find a scapegoat to shift blame away from the Feds.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 08:48 am
The Govt, closest to the people, is charges with the primary responsibility of coordinating any disaster plan. The Feds are they to provide backup support if needed.

We saw this in NY during 9-11, Miss and Alabama during Kartina. We saw this in Tx.

The State Govt in La. has been inept before, during and after Katrina. they have not supported their own peoples efforts to gain access to the money raised privately as well as Govt funding.

Yesterday, I heard the Red Cross was driving through an area of N. O. handing out Ham Sandwiches. This is the best they could due after all this time and money raised?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 08:54 am
woiyo wrote:
1, Miss and Alabama during Kartina. We saw this in Tx.

The State Govt in La. has been inept before, during and after Katrina. they have not supported their own peoples efforts to gain access to the money raised privately as well as Govt funding.

Almost as inept as the Bush Admin!.

You're doing a heck of a job, Brownie!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 08:59 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
woiyo wrote:
1, Miss and Alabama during Kartina. We saw this in Tx.

Almost as inept as the Bush Admin!.

You're doing a heck of a job, Brownie!

I am unfamiliar with your charactization.

Would you be kind enough to explain what you are trying to say in a way I can understand it?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 09:22 am
There is plenty of blame to go around.

Perhaps it was a local chapter of the Red Cross. Maybe it was the Lake Charles Red Cross and ham sandwiches was a big deal for them.

Maybe you all are just trying to bait each other into an arguement instead of discussing this. If so, I'll step back and let you all duke it out.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:34 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Quote:
Among the reasons he cited for not drawing up plans was a lack of resources the state needed to carry out the evacuations.

What's the guy going to do, carry out people on his back. Here is just another lame attemmot to find a scapegoat to shift blame away from the Feds.

Nobody expects him to carry people out on his back.
BUT,he did have the authority to commandeer all the school busses,city busses,and charter busses in his state.
He could also order the LA NG to use its transport vehicles into action.

The resources were there,he just didnt use them.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:43 am
But we really do need to know what the assignment entailed before we can make that judgement too, don't you think, mysteryman?

I think he should have come up with SOMETHING even if it was something like - we can afford gas for the busses but we can't afford drivers, or, we can evacuate the hopitals by bus but nobody can take along their medical support equipment because we can't power them and they won't fit.

SOMETHING would have been better than ignoring it.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:53 am
boomerang wrote:
But we really do need to know what the assignment entailed before we can make that judgement too, don't you think, mysteryman?

I think he should have come up with SOMETHING even if it was something like - we can afford gas for the busses but we can't afford drivers, or, we can evacuate the hopitals by bus but nobody can take along their medical support equipment because we can't power them and they won't fit.

SOMETHING would have been better than ignoring it.

I agree,we do need to know more.
I guess the part that first caught my attention was this...

"In an interview with Senate investigators, Bradberry acknowledged that his department had "done nothing" to make the evacuation plans."

To me,this smells of almost criminal negligence on his part.
Even if you think the plan is unworkable,at least having a plan allows for it to be implemented,as much as possible.

I am curious why he refused to figure out a plan just because he "disagreed with the assignment"
There are many things my boss tells me to do that I disagree with,but I do them because he is the boss.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:01 pm
since you insist on beating this dead horse.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11127695/
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:04 pm
I dont deny that there were some serious screwups,but that doesnt change the fact that the officials in LA refused to even make any plans in advance.

I am not saying that the feds didnt screw up,but I AM saying that the state of LA DID screw up.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:08 pm
which I suppose is as close as you'll ever come to admitting bushco f**ked this up... even though it's in plain sight.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:16 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
which I suppose is as close as you'll ever come to admitting bushco f**ked this up... even though it's in plain sight.

Nope,I admit that the feds screwed up.
BUT,that does not change the fact that LA authorities refused to even make ant plans in advance,or that they refused help to evacuate the sick and elderly 2 days before the hurricane hit.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:23 pm
the feds... you just can't bring yourself to use bushs name in the same sentence with a mistake or a foul up can you?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:49 pm
OK,BUSH FUCKED UP!!!!!!!
Does that make you happy?????

Now,how does that justify the fact that the state REFUSED to make plans in advance,or that they REFUSED an offer of help to evacuate the sick and elderly,2 days in advance?

Why are you so afraid to answer the question???
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:13 pm
mysteryman wrote:
OK,BUSH **** UP!!!!!!!

Now,how does that justify the fact that the state REFUSED to make plans in advance,or that they REFUSED an offer of help to evacuate the sick and elderly,2 days in advance?

I'm sure they did, I don't mind admitting it, and yes, I'm ecstatic. Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:17 pm
I'm just now getting around to reading my daily paper and there is an interesting article about this. I can't find it online and I don't want to type it all in but...

It mentions:

That the agreement that Bradberry singed in April 2005 was to make plans for evacuating the "frail" and he had done nothing on this.

Instead he focused on plans to evacuate the city - creating the highway contraflow plan that helped "perhaps 1.2 million area residents to get out of harm's way".

Dr. Kevin Stepheves, director of the health department had ben working since 2004 to create a plan with bus companies, riverboat owners and Amtrack to evacuate the city's "special needs" population but negotions were not complete when Katrina hit because of "liability issues".

Nursing homes were supposed to have their own evacuation plans and 21% did evacuate before the storm. One witness said that other nursing homes did not "because in the past, nursing homes were not reimbursed for the cost of the evacuatin if the predicted storm did not hit".

Once the storm did hit the nursing homes couldn't call for help but when requests did get through they weren't given high priority.

Hospitals had ignored years of warnings to move their generators to areas that would not flood.

It sounds like some things had been done. The first article made it sound like absolutely nothing had been done.

You've really gotta love that whole "liability issues" thing, don't you? So typical that you've got to worry about who is going to sue you for trying to save them.

The emailed response to the offer of help read:
"they do not require anything at this time and they would be in touch if and when they needed assistance".

What an idiotic response!

So much went wrong on so many levels, there is certainly enough blame to go around.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:20 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
OK,BUSH **** UP!!!!!!!

I'm sure they did, I don't mind admitting it, and yes, I'm ecstatic. Very Happy

Now,why are you afraid to admit it when the govt does something right?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:22 pm
I'd need an example
0 Replies