survival in the work place

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:14 pm
I'd just like to hear others' thoughts on this.

I've been having a hard time adjusting to a full time job. I've found that in an office environment, its hard to be an honest person with integrity when other's just seem to want to take advantage of that. Where I work, if you aren't against management and cheating with "numbers and inventory" than you aren't accepted as a "fellow coworker". Instead you're treated like an outsider, or an enemy. I'm never invited to lunch with my "team", and no one shares any office news with me. They barely talk to me, and if I'm within ear-shot, they sometimes just stop talking.

I'm not saying I never do anything wrong, but in any job the name of the game is "what does management want today", and I've just accepted that. So I probably look like a suck-up to most of the other employees. Don't get me wrong, though. I just do my work - I don't step on other people to make myself look better or anything at all like that.

It gets tiring. I'd like to be myself, and enjoy the people I work with, but it seems that unless I have a bad attitude towards the employer, I'll never be accepted. I just can't take many more knives in my back.

Maybe, though, its best that I'm not accepted by discontented coworkers who haven't seen a promotion in years.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or do you want to throw a stapler at me? ha ha Twisted Evil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 724 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:26 pm
I feel ya. I had the same experience. Its like that in most jobs, but not all.

Yeah, they hate you and they think you're going to tell on them. Plus, your productivity is making them look bad.

Sucks, really.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:41 pm
Yeah.

I had a job once that was offered by the person who was leaving the position -- I didn't apply -- and I didn't want to let down my current boss (part-time position) so I agreed to do as much of the full-time job as I could in part-time hours. I did the whole thing, and well, and was very popular with my superiors... not so much my co-workers. (That was also because I had no time to schmooze, brought my lunch to my desk, etc.)

I can see how that would be annoying -- at the time I was childless and my other job was nice and relaxing, so I could afford to work that hard while other people couldn't.

Good news is that it was parlayed into a great full-time job elsewhere. (If you don't plan to stay forever or at least a long time, a glowing letter of recommendation from your supervisor means a lot more than what your co-workers think of you...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:42 pm
(Is that Eddie Izzard? LOVE him...)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:19 am
Had a job like that m'self (I think a lot of folks have). There's a crew of complacent folks, you come in and just work like a normal person, and your integrity and work ethic rock their world. And they're terrified.

Well, they should be.

But I know it's not easy. There may very well be one person you can talk to, even on a superficial basis. I'm not saying to glom onto someone (that will go over like a lead balloon), but instead exchange pleasantries without whoever you can. Nothing too saccharine, just a "good morning" before you head to your desk. Oh, and nothing pointed, e. g. no subtext of "I'm wishing you a good morning while you yakkety-yak to remind you for the umpteenth time that this is work and not a social club and you better get to your desk and start crankin'." I think you know what I mean, there's a way to inflect that's cheerful and there's a way that's got an edge. Go for cheerful; let your supervisor worry about any colleagues who aren't pulling their weight.

Oh, and keep feelers out for work elsewhere. You may like this job, but this kind of an environment can be rough. Not that you have to jump ship right away - or at all - but you might want to at least keep your options open.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:26 pm
That's some really good feedback, thank you all! Things have calmed down a bit, but not enough. So many people have left this company (25 in the last year and a half), things are changind and people will be moved around, so I have hope for a new environment before then end of the month.

Just for the record, just to say it, I don't rat people out at all. My coworkers think I do, but to be fair, its just because they do, ha ha.

To sum it up, I'm a science geek trying to coexist with hillbillies. That sounds harsh, but that's how it is. They do all the hillbilly things, including that whole "we don't take kindly to your type round here". Its going to be funny, once I'm out of the situation. If jokes aren't racist or sexist, these people just don't laugh at them. If I was a hillbilly trying to get along with a group of science geeks, similar problems would ensue, I'm sure.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:35 pm
You need to look at yourself in the mirror every morning. If the good ole boys are goofing off while you are working, that's their problem, not yours. I say stick to your gums. You are the one with the integrity.

I would bet that ten years from now, you will have gotten ahead in your career, while they are still bitchin' and gripin'!
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 02:28 pm
Thanks, phoenix! Its not surprising that 40 hrs a week of the cold shoulder can make a person think there is really something wrong with themself.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:06 pm
For the long haul, you might want to keep your eyes open for another position in a company that has a culture more suited to you.

I can remember a position that I had in a social service program that was dually staffed by some state civil workers, and the people from our organization, which was a non-profit.

The civil service workers had been in the system "forever", were making a good deal more money than we were, and did a lot less. In fact, they used to laugh at us at how we were knocking ourselves out, while they took it easy.

We were younger, bright eyed and bushy tailed, and determined to make a difference in the lives of our clients. The people who were state workers were simply marking time, until they were able to retire on their pensions.

I think that the people in my group had a much more satisfying time at work, than did the state workers. They always looked bored.
0 Replies