Alito Is In

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:21 am
Another piece of the make abortion illegal again puzzle is in place.

My question

What will become of the babies born because moms can't get abortions? there will be a lot of them. Congress, with the blessing and support of bushco is cutting aid and funds for the programs that would benefit these unwanted children so what will become of them? Will we see a return to 19th Century style orphanages? Will child labor return? Will they merely be sent to state run military schools? Or will they just make up a huge new amount of people left to sink or swim on their own? I certainly hope no one is offended and thinks I'm vomiting bile with this question.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,243 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:26 am
I am about as "thrilled" with this development as you are. But let's not get hysterical about it, since there ain't much we can do about it. I am taking a "wait and see" attitude.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:29 am
you think I'm hysterical? Why? And if abortion is made illegal and programs to help the poor are cut at the same time, what DO you think will become of the many new babies born to difficult circumstances and poverty?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:36 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
you think I'm hysterical? Why? And if abortion is made illegal and programs to help the poor are cut at the same time, what DO you think will become of the many new babies born to difficult circumstances and poverty?

Quiet down, bear. Of course the thought is horrible. But what can you do about it now? Besides, abortions are still legal.

I suppose that some strong letters to legislators might make people feel better, but I don't know if any good will come of iit. I think that the tide is turning though. People are getting really tired and disgusted with the self righteous bible bangers, and I predict a strong backlash in the near future. Let's see what happens after the November elections.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:37 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quiet down, bear. Of course the thought is horrible. But what can you do about it now? Besides, abortions are still legal.

I suppose that some strong letters to legislators might make people feel better, but I don't know if any good will come of iit. I think that the tide is turning though. People are getting really tired and disgusted with the self righteous bible bangers, and I predict a strong backlash in the near future. Let's see what happens after the November elections.

I wasn't aware I was yelling, and what sort of backlash can be applied to a lifetime position judge?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:42 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I am taking a "wait and see" attitude

Wait and see what? We know exactly what we are going to see! Say goodbye to your rights.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:43 am
I'm with Phoenix. Abortions are currently legal and I see nothing out there that will change that any time soon.

As for your concerns about these children bvt, I think that one thing that may (I say MAY) happen is that maybe some of these young people (male and female) will be a bit more careful about using contraceptives if they know that abortions will not be available to solve their little problem. And yes, I know some methods fail, but I doubt the failure rate is anywhere near the abortion rate, thus my belief that many if not most abortions are being done as a method of birth control. But I could be wrong.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:43 am
bvt wrote:
I wasn't aware I was yelling, and what sort of backlash can be applied to a lifetime position judge?

Short of homicide, which I would not consider, what are we able to do about the confirmation of this judge?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:50 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
bvt wrote:

Short of homicide, which I would not consider, what are we able to do about the confirmation of this judge?

I don't recall asking what we could do about the appointment of this judge. it's a done deal. My question goes to what will happen to the children born who would not normally have been. And if you think that people will be more careful from then on and not have unprotected sex CR you are crazy, if AIDS didn't stop casual sex then nothing will.

Bushco and the right have stated outright that it's their mission to make abortion illegal again. They have now appointed a judge who will rule in favor of that. Given these things my question is valid. No ideas?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:01 am
Re: Alito Is In

This is assuming that states would go back to their pre-1973 abortion statutes if Roe got overturned. I consider that extremely unlikely: Social mores has changed a lot towareds your position since 1973, and governors still want the women's vote.

What will become of the babies born because moms can't get abortions? there will be a lot of them. Congress, with the blessing and support of bushco is cutting aid and funds for the programs that would benefit these unwanted children so what will become of them? Will we see a return to 19th Century style orphanages? Will child labor return? Will they merely be sent to state run military schools? Or will they just make up a huge new amount of people left to sink or swim on their own?

In Germany, abortion is about as illegal as you would expect it to become in America if Roe were overturned. We are observing none of the horror stories you sketch out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:02 am
CoastalRat wrote:
I'm with Phoenix. Abortions are currently legal and I see nothing out there that will change that any time soon.

As for your concerns about these children bvt, I think that one thing that may (I say MAY) happen is that maybe some of these young people (male and female) will be a bit more careful about using contraceptives if they know that abortions will not be available to solve their little problem. And yes, I know some methods fail, but I doubt the failure rate is anywhere near the abortion rate, thus my belief that many if not most abortions are being done as a method of birth control. But I could be wrong.

That is easily supported with facts, since abortion has been illegal in America. Care to do so?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:02 am
I think that parents have to become much more proactive with their kids. They need to tell them that in the future, there is a possibility that abortion may not be an option, and that they need to learn as much as they can about contraception.

Girls need to be taught, from childhood, that they are valuable as people, not sex objects, and that they need to reach a certain level of maturity before it is wise to experiment with sex. Boys need to learn to respect girls, and not simply use them for their own physical satisfaction.

Will this work all the time? I don't think so. But I think that it will help.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:04 am
Thomas wrote:

This is assuming that states would go back to their pre-1973 abortion statutes if Roe got overturned. I consider that extremely unlikely: Social mores has changed a lot towareds your position since 1973, and governors still want the women's vote.

What will become of the babies born because moms can't get abortions? there will be a lot of them. Congress, with the blessing and support of bushco is cutting aid and funds for the programs that would benefit these unwanted children so what will become of them? Will we see a return to 19th Century style orphanages? Will child labor return? Will they merely be sent to state run military schools? Or will they just make up a huge new amount of people left to sink or swim on their own?

In Germany, abortion is about as illegal as you would expect it to become in America if Roe were overturned. We are observing none of the horror stories you sketch out.

Is your government on a mission to cut programs for the poor, disadvantaged, orphaned the way ours is?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:04 am
OK, BVT...

Let's assume you are 100% correct and that the second that Judge Alito is sworn in, he and the rest of the black robes will hop in their Formula One racer and speed over to the Court to outlaw abortion... (Personally, I think this is a bongwater induced fantasy of the tinfoil hat brigade, but let's assume you are correct.)

What then?

Oh my GOD it will be terrible!
Pandamonium!!
Armageddon!!!

The STATES will actually have to decide on how abortion will be regulated within the bounds of each State...

Thats terrible, it ... its almost exactly like the wording in that funny little Constitution document that the Liberals seem to love 'touching up' with White-Out when they aren't using it as toilet paper or ignoring pesky Amendments that they don't like (2nd).

What is it that you are afraid of BVT?

Perhaps that a person might actually FOLLOW the Constitution for a change instead of 're inventing it' every case?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:05 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I think that parents have to become much more proactive with their kids. They need to tell them that in the future, there is a possibility that abortion may not be an option, and that they need to learn as much as they can about contraception.

Girls need to be taught, from childhood, that they are valuable as people, not sex objects, and that they need to reach a certain level of maturity before it is wise to experiment with sex. Boys need to learn to respect girls, and not simply use them for their own physical satisfaction.

Will this work all the time? I don't think so. But I think that it will help.

You can't stop people from having sex. Period. And it's not very open minded to demonize boys while "educating" girls about how valuable they are either. Last I knew of it took two to tango in the vast majority of cases.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:07 am
Is your government on a mission to cut programs for the poor, disadvantaged, orphaned the way ours is?

Yes. But I admit our welfare state is larger than yours to begin with, so there's more in it to cut before things get nasty.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:14 am
BVT wrote:
You can't stop people from having sex. Period. And it's not very open minded to demonize boys while "educating" girls about how valuable they are either. Last I knew of it took two to tango in the vast majority of cases.

I am not demonizing boys. I was stating what I believe is a reality. Maybe I was not clear, but I am speaking about adolescents. As everyone knows, adolescent boys are extremely hormone driven, and tend to want to assert their masculine prowess with the nubile Lolitas.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, when I was an adolescent, we were pretty frisky, but were NOT having sex at the age of 12. There HAS been a definite change in the sexual activity of young people, over the decades since I was a teenager, who have the equipment, but not the maturity, to deal with sexual relationships.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:15 am
Fedral wrote:
OK, BVT...

Let's assume you are 100% correct and that the second that Judge Alito is sworn in, he and the rest of the black robes will hop in their Formula One racer and speed over to the Court to outlaw abortion... (Personally, I think this is a bongwater induced fantasy of the tinfoil hat brigade, but let's assume you are correct.)

What then?

Oh my GOD it will be terrible!
Pandamonium!!
Armageddon!!!

The STATES will actually have to decide on how abortion will be regulated within the bounds of each State...

Thats terrible, it ... its almost exactly like the wording in that funny little Constitution document that the Liberals seem to love 'touching up' with White-Out when they aren't using it as toilet paper or ignoring pesky Amendments that they don't like (2nd).

What is it that you are afraid of BVT?

Perhaps that a person might actually FOLLOW the Constitution for a change instead of 're inventing it' every case?

my how touchy everyone is today!!! I didn't say abortion was going to be immediately outlawed. I said another piece in the puzzle to do it was in place. You can infer whatever you like however. It's a free country for now anyway. :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:17 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
BVT wrote:

I am not demonizing boys. I was stating what I believe is a reality. Maybe I was not clear, but I am speaking about adolescents. As everyone knows, adolescent boys are extremely hormone driven, and tend to want to assert their masculine prowess with the nubile Lolitas.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, when I was an adolescent, we were pretty frisky, but were NOT having sex at the age of 12. There HAS been a definite change in the sexual activity of young people, over the decades since I was a teenager, who have the equipment, but not the maturity, to deal with sexual relationships.

which just goes to prove my point. Even MORE people are having sex even younger now, so you can talk to them til your blue in the face, and you can throw STD's and unwanted pregnancies at them all day, and the result will be. (drum roll please) people like to do it and you can't and won't stop them.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:20 am
FYI - I doubt the USSC will get to hear a case that would jeopardize Roe. Yet, IMO, abortion is NOT the most important issue this Court will hear in the next year or 2.

I believe that Justice Alito is well qualified and will make an excellant Justice.
0 Replies