Wendy Wasserstein has died

Thomas

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:17 pm
Well, my friend on the Upper East Side complains that New York has pretty much turned into Disneyland under Guliani. You guys probably don't do lust anymore. Wink
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:36 pm
August. Now Wendy...
We did '...Rosensweig" several years ago with Marilyn Sokol in the Madeline Kahn role. Perfection.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:33 am
Wendy has a 7 year old daughter, who'll now be reared by Wendy's brother
Bruce. The father of this child is unknown to the general public.

Awhile back in a publication, I noted that Wendy was referred to as a Lesbian, yet in the Times and other articles, no mention is made of her sexuality nor is a mention made of a partner.

I remember when Susan Sontag died, the same omission was made and many gay groups criticized the press for not mentioning Ms. Sontag's homosexuality.

Will the same be said relative to the death of Ms. Wasserman?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:39 pm
Here is Michael Feingold's tribute to Wendy Wasserstein, from this week's Village Voice:

Wendy Wasserstein
1950-2006
Uncommon Women and Others, the nervous novice playwright who, when a friend introduced her to the novelist Joseph Heller as a brilliantly funny writer, responded to his request, "Say something funny, Wendy," by barfing on his coat.

That Wendy in later life had no shame in recollecting this story was a mark of the fundamental honesty that led to her skill at observing, and making dramatic capital of, so many different kinds of people and ways of life. Not for her the easy oversimplifications of television writing, which comes in for merciless ridicule in what is probably her best play, The Heidi Chronicles. (Remember the devastating line: "Just tell us who these women are and why they're funny.") Her project, insofar as a playwright has an overall project, was to dramatize the female life of America in her time without scanting its complexity, its pain, its inconveniences, or its lapses into the absurd. If sometimes in her later plays, as in the laborious An American Daughter, she seemed to be layering issues onto her characters simply because the issues needed representation, you could always feel her struggling, as all artists inevitably struggle with their material, to make the issues make human sense, to give them three-dimensional embodiment. That, as some have pointed out, the original cast of Uncommon Women was sprinkled with future stars only demonstrates the great chance that awaited Wendy: A newly aware generation of women was coming into its own. That she had the prescience to seize her chance and make herself a principal chronicler of that generation with the plays that followed, from Isn't It Romantic? through The Sisters Rosensweig, is the highest tribute to her intelligence and skill.

For the giggling girl who had enlivened the Yale School of Drama with endearingly foolish extravaganzas like Montpelier Pa-zazz and When Dinah Shore Ruled the Earth, this achievement was a triumphant evolution. But the even higher compliment is that, through all her travails, she never let go of the giggle; her puckish, uneasy comic sense pervades the most unfairly underrated of her plays, Old Money, in which the ironies of this generation's feminist progress are played off, cannily, against those of a century ago. This canniness, too, was the essence of Wendy: While she was giggling, and making you giggle with her, she was watching for her opportunity, and took it. As a result, she is a permanent part of our social as well as our theatrical history, an artist who began by making herself an unforgettable character, and concluded by impressing that character's achievements upon the world.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:20 pm
Re Miller's post. I have never known Wendy to have publicly professed to being a lesbian.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:33 pm
I'm not sure, but I think her daughter may have been an A.I. baby.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:33 pm
And why should her sexual preference be so publicized? If she had a longterm partner then by all means the partner should be recognized but while there's nothing to hide, there's also nothing to advertise.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:43 pm
No reason. I was responding to Miller's stating that he recalled "a publication" having mantioned it. "A publication" has no validity in my mind, and as you state, it shouldn't matter one way or the other.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 02:06 pm
Miller wrote:
Awhile back in a publication, I noted that Wendy was referred to as a Lesbian, yet in the Times and other articles, no mention is made of her sexuality nor is a mention made of a partner.

I remember when Susan Sontag died, the same omission was made and many gay groups criticized the press for not mentioning Ms. Sontag's homosexuality.

Will the same be said relative to the death of Ms. Wasserman?

This is what I was responding to, flyboy.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:57 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
Re Miller's post. I have never known Wendy to have publicly professed to being a lesbian.

Did you know her?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:00 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
No reason. I was responding to Miller's stating that he recalled "a publication" having mantioned it. "A publication" has no validity in my mind, and as you state, it shouldn't matter one way or the other.

Looks like you've missed the point.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:01 pm
eoe wrote:
And why should her sexual preference be so publicized? If she had a longterm partner then by all means the partner should be recognized but while there's nothing to hide, there's also nothing to advertise.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:01 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think her daughter may have been an A.I. baby.

You think so?
0 Replies