Spaghetti Sauce- Ketchup and Kraft American Cheese Slices

flushd

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:18 pm
Eek. I've seen lil kids squeezing ketchup on spag (plain. "I'll only eat it with ketchup!"). lol. Never heard of this sauce tho.

I'm not picky, I'm just not a big fan of ketchup in any food situation. Homemade sauce is da best, but most of the time I go for a chunky veggie variety of canned and then add more veggies, spices, and whathaveyou. Depends on who is eating with me, and what they like.
I actually like a brand called "Healthy Choices" 'cause it has lots of good veggies and less salt than most canned sauces. It's good!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:18 pm
I should re-post My Dinner at L'K's.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 02:08 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
yum, cjhsa.

Dear Friends:

Earlier today I emailed my brother and sisters and informed them of what I was about to do. The response was not as generous as I had hoped and I may be elected 'adopted orphan' for several years in a row because of what I am about to reveal.

After careful consideration, I have decided on a course of action that may divide my family. We have always had the best spaghetti sauce in the world at our houses. We win prizes and astound even the most experienced chefs with the taste and texture of our sauce. That is due to a family secret, passed on to each of us as we reached the age when we could understand the importance of it. I have never spoken of it before now except to my children.

Here it is. For nearly two years in her youth my Irish mother took care of a dying Italian man in his home(she was a RN) and while papa was upstairs declining, she was downstairs learning all of the culinary secrets of his family from his wife. There is one thing to add to my recipe above, yes, of course, I left it out, and if you add it, you too will have the very best sauce. No doubt.

This is a secret my family has kept for years, but I feel the time is right to reveal it to a larger world. And so my friends,

Excuse me there is someone at my door. I'll be right back.

See? Confused

we'll never get the whole story....never.

you could tie him down and stuff peperoncinis up his butt and he wouldn't tell.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 03:26 pm
From what Iv'e seen of the previous posts,for the sake of your taste buds,please try this........
Basic pasta sauce.....
1 lb tomatoes,peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil(Italian)
1 small onion,finely chopped
1 clove of garlic,crushed
1 teaspoon of tomato puree
1/2 desert spoon of dried basil
salt and black pepper

Peel tomatoes and finely chop
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and soften the onion and garlic in it for about 5 mins without letting them brown,then add the tomatoes,tomato puree,basil and a seasoning of salt and pepper.Give everything a good stir,(makeing sure the Drug Squad is not flying over your'e house)then cover the pan and simmer for a further 12 minutes for the sauce to reduce slightley
This is a good base....feel free to play around with it to taste.Enjoy :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 03:51 pm
The secret ingredient is anchovy.

I'm not Italian, so I'm not committing blasphemy.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 04:00 pm
cjhsa wrote:
The secret ingredient is anchovy.

I'm not Italian, so I'm not committing blasphemy.

Anchovy aint no secret.If you want a stronger sauce,add it.WARNING...anchovys are "strong".......be carefull Cool
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 04:25 pm
Joe's recipe reminds me a lot of my mother's spaghetti sauce event. It started early in the morning and cooked all day until it was dark red. She added a teaspoon or two of sugar to balance the acid of the tomatoes, but not so much that it was sweet. It was done only when it had reduced down to a thick sauce but she mostly went by color. She'd give it a stir every so often but it was still 'raw' until it was almost brown-red. That was her word for all sauces from a jar - too raw.

I use a couple of the Classico brand sauces and like them alright. The spinach florentine and the tomato with basil are both good and neither one has any added sugar.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 06:06 pm
That's what my ex-mil always said, the sauce was done until it was brownish red.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 06:49 pm
In my house the only spaghetti sauce I knew was ketchup. And to this day that is my preference. My Italian friends think it's a travesty.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:09 pm
Ketchup and cheese? That is absolutely disgusting.

Growing up I was spoiled. Always homemade sauce.

Now, I've found a jarred sauce I actually don't mind. Paul Newman's Italian Peppers and Sausage(or something like that). It's pretty damn good.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:39 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Ketchup and cheese? That is absolutely disgusting.
Now, I've found a jarred sauce I actually don't mind. Paul Newman's Italian Peppers and Sausage(or something like that). It's pretty damn good.

I agree,but over here Paul Newmans sauces are hard to track down Mad
0 Replies