Spaghetti Sauce- Ketchup and Kraft American Cheese Slices

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 06:44 am
I have gotten into many arguments about this. There is a school of thought that says that mixing Kraft American cheese slices with ketchup produces a perfectly acceptable spaghetti sauce. The other school (mostly my Italian friends) thinks that it is a crime against nature. They say that spaghetti sauce has to be made from scratch. The third camp thinks that canned or jarred sauce is just fine. What do YOU think?

What were you served as spaghetti sauce as a kid? What do you make, (or have) now?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,036 • Replies: 50
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:11 am
As a kid in the midwest it was Chef-Boy-ar-dee.

Now we usually make it from scratch using our own tomatoes, fresh or canned. When those aren't available you might be surprised - we like to use the canned Hunts sauces and kick them up a bit to taste. They're good.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:16 am
As a kid, I think we got prepared spaghetti/noodle sauces - although with real, original parmesan cheese.

Nowadays, I make it myself, using all fresh stuff ... or partly canned Italian ingredients.

Ketchup, however, is (and was) never part of the sauce.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:17 am
What about fondue concocted with Cheez Whiz?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:20 am
Velveeta and Rotel - chili con queso! If you eat enough of this stuff, a little while later, you can take a Cheese Whiz.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:29 am
As a kid in NJ, if I wanted good sauce (oh sorry, gravy) I would go over to any one of my Italian friends house, where their noni would be doing mysterious and marvelous things in the kitchen at all hours of the day or night.

If you ever asked how something was made, it was understood that they would leave something out, or add something in, so that it wouldn't be as superb as hers. You just had to go from there.

My mother made a pretty decent sauce, but it was one of those simmering on the stove all day affairs.

Speaking of the midwest, I lived in Wisconsin for awhile. To be honest, there were some really good Italian restaurants there. However......

This one time I was talking to this young (20ish) woman, who was Italian, and the subject of gravy came up.

Oooooo, my mom makes the BEST gravy....would you like the recipe?
Well Hell Yah, I was pretty excited by the prospect of duping this innocent young thing into telling me the ultimate secret. I quickly grabbed paper and pen....

"Well" she said, "First you take 2 cans of Campbells Tomato Soup......"

I called my girl friend long distance to tell her that.....All I heard was the phone hitting the floor....then, in the background, someone saying....

"linda, linda....are you all right? Wake up!"

Jarred sauces have become much better over the years. That's what I use now, but only if I really like it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:15 am
I don't like the jarred sauces I've tasted, but I do use canned tomatoes when I start sauce from scratch out of tomato season. My favorite pasta sauce iwith meat is the Marcella Hazan recipe for her bolognese sauce. Snotty as I am about all this now, I was quite happy with canned spaghetti (what I think of now as wormy pasta bits with drecko glop) when I was about twelve. I grew to like Morton's frozen packaged spaghetti - thawed and heated of course - when I was about 22. Thus I'm a poster child for the view that change is possible...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:22 am
Ketchup and cheese? For sauce? I am not Italian but even I think that is a crime against nature.

Yuck.

Canned/jarred is fine. But homemade is the best!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:29 am
homemade is for the Sopranos. Takes too long .
There is a Canadian outfit called Catellis that makes great sauces and we would always buy 2 cases crossing the border at least 2 times a year. (They would sell it at LoFoods in New Brunswick. Last year we could not find it so we have resorted to taking a local brand and doctoring it up with stuff.

Now my own linguini with white clam sauce is a closely guarded secret .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:30 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Ketchup and cheese? For sauce? I am not Italian but even I think that is a crime against nature!

At Italian restaurants here, and in Italy, you always get freshly grated (in good restaurants grated at the table) parmesan with you menu ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:31 am
Mmmmmm, linguini with clam sauce..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:35 am
yeh and its my secret, you couldnt beat it outta me with a rubber hose
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:38 am
Didn't any of you guys use American cheese & ketchup as spaghetti sauce? I must be getting very ancient. At one time there was a SERIOUS cultural divide on this issue!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:42 am
I didn't even do that in college. We'd just make grilled cheese sandwiches without bread instead.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:49 am
I've never heard of that, Phoenix, and I think I'm as ancient as you are..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:53 am
ossobuco wrote:
I've never heard of that, Phoenix, and I think I'm as ancient as you are..

Could that be a New York thing? Maybe I can get a hold of Roberta, and see if she knows anything about it!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:55 am
Quote:
Subject: Ketchup Recipes
Posted by: deweydecimal Replies: 64 Posted on: 6/4/2004 5:15:26 PM
#T362365
Ketchup Spaghetti

2 Tbs butter
1/8 c Minced Onion
2/3 cups of cooked spaghetti noodles
1/4 - 1/2 cup Velveta cheese cubes
2/3 Slices of cheese (American cheese if you can get it)

In a large skillet, melt about 2 Tbs. of butter, add to that about 1/8 c of minced onion. When onions are soft, add about 2-3 cups of cooked spaghetti noodles. When noodles are warm, add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of
velveta cheese cubes, 2-3 slice of American cheese works well too. When cheese has melted add enough ketchup to make the mixture a bright orange color.

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&replynum=5&threadnum=362365&catnum=&headnum=

Now I know that I am not going nuts!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:59 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Ketchup and cheese? For sauce? I am not Italian but even I think that is a crime against nature!

At Italian restaurants here, and in Italy, you always get freshly grated (in good restaurants grated at the table) parmesan with you menu ...

Well, now that is different. American cheese slices and parmesan cheese are vastly different.

And you'd never eat parmesan with ketchup. Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:59 am
You can also pour that on your clothes for a remarkable shade of hunter orange.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:01 am
And to think, all my life I believed that American Cheese and ketchup was a perfectly fine spaghetti sauce. I grew up on it! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies