Really really stupid

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:44 am
WASHINGTON - Hundreds of officers and health care professionals have been discharged in the past 10 years under the Pentagon's policy on gays, a loss that while relatively small in numbers involves troops who are expensive for the military to educate and train.

The 350 or so affected are a tiny fraction of the 1.4 million members of the uniformed services and about 3.5 percent of the more than 10,000 people discharged under the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy since its inception in 1994.

But many were military school graduates or service members who went to medical school at the taxpayers' expense _ troops not as easily replaced by a nation at war that is struggling to fill its enlistment quotas.

"You don't just go out on the street tomorrow and pluck someone from the general population who has an Air Force education, someone trained as a physician, someone who bleeds Air Force blue, who is willing to serve, and that you can put in Iraq tomorrow," said Beth Schissel, who graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1989 and went on to medical school.

Schissel was forced out of the military after she acknowledged that she was gay.

According to figures compiled by the Pentagon and released by the Center for the Study of Sexual Minorities in the Military, Schissel is one of 244 medical and health professionals discharged from 1994 through 2003 under the policy that allows gays and lesbians to serve as long as they abstain from homosexual activity and do not disclose their sexual orientation. Congress approved the policy in 1993.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,134 • Replies: 26
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:45 am
http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/38452.html
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
BBB
That old saw "cut off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:53 am
Dang! Again I thought this was going to be a thread about Teddy Kennedy!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:58 am
apparently you have a crush on him....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:00 am
Bear
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

Naw. McG is just in a snit because Kennedy wouldn't give him driving lessons.

BBB
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:21 am
Re: Bear
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

Okay now that made me laugh.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:36 am
Re: Bear
Sturgis wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

Okay now that made me laugh.

I'll feel better after I take my meds.

BBB
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 03:09 pm
This stuff makes me want to cry and hit people at the same time...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 03:06 am
dlowan wrote:
This stuff makes me want to cry and hit people at the same time...

I know, dlowan, it's truly incredible, isn't it? land of the free, home of the brave, equal rights for everyone. What a f**king joke!

The military code of honor
Be prepared to give your life but just don't expect us to respect your personal dignity nor your basic human rights.

The other face mouths platitudes about fighting for democracy, human rights and a bunch of other claptrap.

The hypocrisy is stunningly world class!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:37 am
It's good to see that you understand the need for discipline and rules within the armed forces... the military is not about personal dignity or basic human rights. They are pretty straightforward about letting people know that if they are homosexual, they should keep that fact to themselves. There is no hypocrisy involved other than your own personal offense you have taken.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
Barry Goldwater said:

Quote:
You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:58 am
Homosexuality, Ethics and Military Policy

An interesting and informative paper.

ยง 654. Policy concerning homosexuality in the armed forces
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:01 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's good to see that you understand the need for discipline and rules within the armed forces... the military is not about personal dignity or basic human rights. They are pretty straightforward about letting people know that if they are homosexual, they should keep that fact to themselves. There is no hypocrisy involved other than your own personal offense you have taken.

It's good to see that you're doing your utmost to maintain that vaunted level of ignorance you're so famous for. And your unthinking, knee-jerk apologist routine goes hand in hand with that ignorance.

They were, at one time, pretty straightforward with their discrimination against Blacks and Orientals too. Asking the military to do what's right is like asking you to do what's right. There ain't a snowball's chance in hell.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:13 pm
Re: Really really stupid
dyslexia wrote:
ical school.

Schissel was forced out of the military after she acknowledged that she was gay.

[/b]

Gay women in the miltary? WTF????? I am shocked! Shocked I tell you!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:16 pm
JTT wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

It's good to see that you're doing your utmost to maintain that vaunted level of ignorance you're so famous for. And your unthinking, knee-jerk apologist routine goes hand in hand with that ignorance.

McG??? Nah, you must have him confused with someone else/ Smile

One thing I notice about him is that he loves to dive in on gay issues. Got to give him credit.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:02 am
JTT, did you read any of the articles in my last post here before letting your fingers run off without thought?

After you read them, if you still don't understand the situation, I can try to help you with the bigger words.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
McGentrix wrote:
JTT, did you read any of the articles in my last post here before letting your fingers run off without thought?

After you read them, if you still don't understand the situation, I can try to help you with the bigger words.

I hardly think JTT needs YOUR help with vocabulary.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:34 am
*yawn* I am bored with you.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:42 am
McGentrix wrote:
*yawn* I am bored with you.

Then find some other woman to stalk.
0 Replies