Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 04:25 am
Whats the difference between porridge and UK product Ready Brek?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,804 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 04:48 am
Porage (porridge) is rolled oats.

This needs to be mixed with water and/or milk and a dash of salt (optional, but marvellous) and brought to the boil, simmered for a while, then left to cool slightly before eating.

Ready Brek contains:-

Rolled Oats, Oat Flour, Wheat flour, Calcium Carbonate, Malt Extract, Niacin, Iron, Pantothenic Acid (B5), Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid and Vitamin B12.

It only requires mixing with milk (hot or cold) to make a pappy, squidgy and strange tasting version of porage.

Ready Brek always gave me indigestion. However, porage helped put hairs on my chest, thereby speeding my journey through puberty.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:08 am
I really dont need anymore hairs on my chest but I shall try porridge anyway as I feel the need for a slow enrgy release brekky.Nothing has worked so far.

Any particular make youd recomend?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:40 am
material girl wrote:
I really dont need anymore hairs on my chest but I shall try porridge anyway as I feel the need for a slow enrgy release brekky.Nothing has worked so far.

Any particular make youd recomend?

Scott's, of course.........

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/lordellpus/images.jpg

...and if you hurry, you'll get 15p off the next purchase.

Many a muckle mak' a mockle, and all that.

Wonderful stuff.

..and if you have any left over, just use it to put up wallpaper.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:45 am
hmm, for slow realease energy proteins work way better than carbs. thus if you have saussage and eggs for breakfast, it should carry you over for longer. we take longer to digest proteins then carbs. porridge is carbs.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:52 am
What? No potatoes or turnips, Dag?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:54 am
oooh, there, you did it again. you said potatoes. there goes my concentration. well, might as well go home. i'm done at work.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:00 am
I tend to agree with you though, Dag.

Protein is longer lasting. You've got to avoid having any carbs with it, though......unless you're intending to work out all morning, or just sit back and put on weight.

Three rashers of bacon and an egg or two, is my fave.

<I have porage when it's snowing outside, though>
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:11 am
that's what i do. no carbs. well, and no breakfast - but i've never been a breakfast eater. i am very happy on lean meat and veggies and salads. sometimes i crave sugar, but that, too goes away.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:13 am
Oatmeal to mericans
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:16 am
dagmaraka wrote:
that's what i do. no carbs. well, and no breakfast - but i've never been a breakfast eater. i am very happy on lean meat and veggies and salads. sometimes i crave sugar, but that, too goes away.

Have you never thought of having a sausage first thing in the morning?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:18 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Oatmeal to mericans

Do you put a pinch of salt in your oatmeal, Chai?

Not very healthy, I suppose....but it makes all the difference to taste.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:19 am
sure have. but rarely do i have any at home. in fact right now i only have tea at home.

big lunch at work - we have a great chef, and just something picked up for dinner - soup, or salad or a schnitzel (with salad of course) or whatnot.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:19 am
oh yeah....and a little maple syrup and raisens.

Sometimes a banana.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:47 am
Porridge according to Answers.com:

A soft food made by boiling oatmeal or another meal in water or milk.

[Alteration of POTTAGE (influenced by obsolete porray, vegetable soup, from Middle English porreie, from Old French poree, leek soup, from por, leek, from Latin porrum).]

I make a very elegant pease porridge.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:25 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Have you never thought of having a sausage first thing in the morning?

Many times, having one for breakfast too.

You are all very wised up about food groups and what is good and bad.
I can remember at school having a list of food groups with littel pictures(drawn by moi) to say what was in those groups.I swear its the one thing I wish Id paid attention to and kept.

Do you know of any sites that has a clear explanation of food groups and whats in them?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:00 am
well, this site doesn't have the breakdown, but if you're willing to try, it is a good guide to a low carb diet. i tried it once and it sure worked - i lost about 15-20 pounds. it has shopping list, menu for each day, recipes.... keeps one in check. there are links to other sites that do explain more.

http://lowcarblisa.tripod.com/thescarsdalemedicaldiet/id27.html
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:01 am
It's not so much what's in them, MG...more like what effect a combination of these foods will have on the body.

Protein only, is basically the Atkins diet. Someone will be able to explain this more thoroughly, as I am only an observer to my wife trying these things out from time to time.

Protein plus carbs, as far as I understand it, causes a much higher likelihood of it all being broken down and stored as reserve energy cells (fat) somewhere on the body.

Personally, when I want to lose a few pounds, I just eat less and exercise a lot more. It seems to work.

Oh, and cut out alcohol for a few weeks.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:07 am
alcohol is pure carb load. it's a no no while on a diet.

the no carb diet (Atkins being the unhealthiest version, but there are more sane ones - like the Scarsdale that I posted above or South Beach) - works on the principle of ketosis. Without carbs your body goes into ketosis within 3-4 days, when it attacks fat deposits and burns them in order to produce energy, which is normally produced from sugar (carbs). it is only safe to do in 2 weeks intervals (then take a week long break), for it may overload your liver.
i bet there is a better explanation somewhere on that website though.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:12 am
well, and carbs, essentialy are any food products that contains sugar and/or starch - white flour being the worst (white bread and pastry, cheap pasta), but also potatoes, rice, some fruits

protein is any meat and dairy products - eggs, meat, cheese...
watch out, some dairy products (yogurt, even plain) are loaded with carbs as well.

you can't ever go wrong with lean meat or fish and a side of veggies - asparagus, broccoli, beans, salad...
my favorite is tomatoes with mozarella (low fat) cheese and fresh basil - there really is a lot of combinations you can do and you won't starve to death. nice side effect of the low carb diet is that it also works to curb apettite - you feel less hungry while you don't lose energy as with some diets.
0 Replies