My Sympathies ToCanada

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 05:21 am
On the reults of the vote. This guy looks, as all conservatives do, like a televangelist.

I don't have extensive knowledge of Canadian politics but all that was necessary was to read that this guy was anxious to get on the good side of bushco and I knew all I needed to.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060123/elxn_main_story_060123/20060123?s_name=election2006
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 644 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 05:37 am
Harper is actually the former leader of the Alliance--which merged with the dying Progressive Conservatives to form a new conservative party. He got the job because the party membership voted him in (that's rank and file party members, other politicians, not the people of Canada--Canadians don't identify themselves with particular parties the way Americans do)--but Steven Harper is not well liked.

He has a minority government. That means that although the Tories (i.e., conservatives) won more seats than anyone else, they don't have an absolute majority. He'll be obliged to form a coalition with someone, either the Bloc Quécois under Gilles Duceppe, or the New Democrats under Jack Layton. The NDP went from 19 seats to 29, but although they propped up Paul Martins's Liberals in the last government, Harper may go for an alliance with the Bloc--Duceppe is very popular outside Québec. However, the BQ are still mistrusted by many English-speaking Canajuns, so alliance with the BQ might not be his best option. Alliance with the NDP, though, would likely be too much for Tories to swallow--the NDP are the only truely left-wing political party in English-speaking North America.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 05:44 am
good to know. Dog bless.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:07 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:12 am
Poor Harper. He is pushed in the back by the religious rednecks in his party. At the same time he has to be careful not to go too far and trigger another election.

He is aping Bush by finishing his speeches with: 'God bless Canada'.

It's going to be interesting to see this patchwork quilt actually working to run the country that just a few years ago was the best in the world.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:13 am
So, basically, as I presumed in another post about Canada's results, the Canadians have got yet another lame-duck minority government?
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:37 am
True, but it's still a big deal b/c earlier it was predicted that the liberals would be able to hold on to their reign - and now the end of their 12 yr rule... It'll be interesting to see how the US-Canada relations shift w/this new conservative party.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 02:26 pm
Harper wants to be good friends wit Bush. He was for sending Canadian troops to Iraq when it was attacked.

He'll do anything to please Bush.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 02:45 pm
It's about time you Canuckians came to your senses and elected a reasonable minority government.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:20 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's about time you Canuckians came to your senses and elected a reasonable minority government.

It is. But the one we elected is not 'reasonable'
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:46 pm
Oh boy. Things are gonna get interesting....
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:28 pm
Setanta wrote:
Harper is actually the former leader of the Alliance--which merged with the dying Progressive Conservatives to form a new conservative party....

...Alliance with the NDP, though, would likely be too much for Tories to swallow--the NDP are the only truely left-wing political party in English-speaking North America.

Dang Setana, at least I know who to go to next time I need a brief on Canadian Politics.

I read a bunch about what goes on over 'across the pond' in Europe and Asia, but I usually pay about as much attention to our Canadian neighbors as I do to the chimney on my house. That is... I KNOW it serves SOME useful purpose (Even in Florida), but as long as it isn't falling over, I pretty much ignore it.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:52 pm
Paul Martin was a right wing Liberal. Outwardly he mouthed Liberal things i.e. he talked the talk but did not walk the walk. There were always provisos to his promises. There is nary a difference between Paul Martin and Stephen Harper. There will not be any great changes as far as I can see.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:56 pm
http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20060124/160_harper4_060123.jpg

Why in the name of god do all politicians have to have that hideous look?

I am saving my vote for people that look like Lincoln.

You want a good leader...... think craggy.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
gustav, look at the positive side of it. At least his children all look like their mother, thank god.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:23 am
Prime Minister Harper is a very clever man. Although he loves to kowtow to the US administration, he scored a hit with his remark to the US envoy. That man is meddling in Canada's affairs in a boorish way and has to be stopped.
New Canadian PM rebuffs US envoy

Canadian Prime Minister-elect Stephen Harper has defended plans to send military ice-breakers to the Arctic in defiance of criticism from Washington.

US ambassador David Wilkins said on Wednesday that Washington opposed the plan and, like most other countries, did not recognise Canada's claims.

Mr Harper said his mandate was from the Canadian people, not Mr Wilkins.

Mr Harper's Conservatives have promised to defend Canada's northern waters from claims by the US, Russia and Denmark.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4652746.stm
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 11:07 am
detano inipo wrote:
Prime Minister Harper is a very clever man. Although he loves to kowtow to the US administration, he scored a hit with his remark to the US envoy. That man is meddling in Canada's affairs in a boorish way and has to be stopped.
New Canadian PM rebuffs US envoy

Canadian Prime Minister-elect Stephen Harper has defended plans to send military ice-breakers to the Arctic in defiance of criticism from Washington.

US ambassador David Wilkins said on Wednesday that Washington opposed the plan and, like most other countries, did not recognise Canada's claims.

Mr Harper said his mandate was from the Canadian people, not Mr Wilkins.

Mr Harper's Conservatives have promised to defend Canada's northern waters from claims by the US, Russia and Denmark.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4652746.stm

I dunno. I kinda found that funny.
0 Replies