Choosing the adversary.

Doktor S

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:33 pm
Neither.
I did not need you to spoon feed me christianity..I did my own research.
I expect the same of you if we are to go any further down this road.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:39 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Neither.
I did not need you to spoon feed me christianity..I did my own research.
I expect the same of you if we are to go any further down this road.
Well, DS , come on now.

It's a simple question.

Either satan is a real being, or he is not.

If you say he is a real being then what is to distinguish you from those you like to tease about having 'imaginary friends' ?

If satan is not a real being, then you have patterned your philosophy (and even named it ) after an imaginary being, no?

So which is it? Is satan an actual being, or not? Surely you cannot have much difficulty answering that.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:46 pm
Surely
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:48 pm
That you are so unwilling to do your own research does not further your case for caring about accurate knowledge, you know.
Fine.
No, I don't believe in a literal Satan.

No, Satanism is not named after bible satan. Satan is a hebrew word that means adversary, opposer, or accuser, and Satanism uses that context primarily on a core level.
However, the faustian distinguished gentleman, womanizer,and clever smooth tongued manipulator is a fun archetype to use in a predominantly christian society.
There are also a few other pertinent reasons for Satan in Satanism, but I do believe I have answered your questions sufficiently
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:53 pm
Do you believe you exist, Doktor?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:04 am
Doktor S wrote:
That you are so unwilling to do your own research does not further your case for caring about accurate knowledge, you know.
Fine.
No, I don't believe in a literal Satan.

No, Satanism is not named after bible satan. Satan is a hebrew word that means adversary, opposer, or accuser, and Satanism uses that context primarily on a core level.
However, the faustian distinguished gentleman, womanizer,and clever smooth tongued manipulator is a fun archetype to use in a predominantly christian society.
There are also a few other pertinent reasons for Satan in Satanism, but I do believe I have answered your questions sufficiently

Yes you have.

You do not believe in a literal satan. Therefore your philosophy is patterned (and named) after an imaginary being, a total fiction of someone's imagination. At least you admit that you've based your life on a false story.

I see that as part of the fiction, you imagine satan to be distinguished and fun. Such is the power of imagination.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:05 am
Snood, it's good to hear from you. Hope you have been well, my friend.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:16 am
Likewise, real. I'm doing okay, a day at a time.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:08 am
Doktor S wrote:
We all only answer to ourselves, ultimately.

The difference between you and I is I have no imaginary friend to justify any of my actions or bear the brunt of the responsibility for my actions.

I would argue that most men willing to kill will do so with or without a religion to justify. The urge to kill cannot be blamed on any certain ideal, but it falls squarely on the shoulders of the killer. If it's not religion they're killing for, it will be something else.

I think real life makes a valid point though. What about all the people that religion prevents from killing others???
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:26 am
I too would classify myself as a nonreligious Christian, but in a different way than has been described here. Although the title 'Christ' indicates a messianic acceptance which I don't have, I use the term in that it relates to Jesus' message. Heph's first post on this thread resonated with me as did John Creasy's. I think the NT is a fabrication of the Church but that doesn't mean it doesn't have value. Whether there was a historical Jesus or not doesn't matter to me. Neither do the circumstances of the birth or the death. What matters to me is the message.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:03 am
Re: Choosing the adversary.
Doktor S wrote:
As many of you know, I am a Satanist. To me, this represents an active choice to take on the roll of the adversary.
Some might see this position as reactionary, and in a sense, it is. But so what?
I do it because I enjoy it. I do it because I feel religion is a rampant and dangerous form of delusional stupidity that NEEDs a steady flow of cold logic and critique to be kept in check. For the good of the whole of us, and thus for my own good.

Dok--
If you and I went out drinking and ran into some dudes who wanted to start some trouble, I'd be the one trying to talk my way through it, and you'd be swinging a pool cue.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:26 am
Not at all. How did you come to that conclusion?
Of course, I have no moral inhibitions to swing that cue should that prove to be best option, but there are two things about Satanic philosophy you must consider.
1 - Stupidity is a sin
2 -Self preservation is the highest law.

In other words, I would endevour to solve that situation in a way that presented the least amount of adversity to myself.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:59 pm
I just thought you would enjoy beating the crap out of your adversary.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 04:43 pm
Oh, I do.
10 years of MMA in me, and I don't do it because it isn't fun...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:40 pm
Dok, shouldn't you spell satanism without the capital?

BTW, what's MMA?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:49 pm
neologist wrote:
Dok, shouldn't you spell satanism without the capital?

BTW, what's MMA?

Capitals are a sign of respect..why would I give any less to the religion/philosophy I steer my life by?

MMA = mixed martial arts. BJJ and Mui Thai in specific.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:05 pm
Simply because most philosophies are not capitalized?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 08:16 pm
Satanism is also a religion.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:06 am
OK
0 Replies